Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't Rule Out a Ferrari Hybrid . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 10:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Don't Rule Out a Ferrari Hybrid . . .

Link : CLICK HERE
Old 05-30-07, 11:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bandwagons are the shiznit...
Old 05-30-07, 12:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I met a guy here several months ago with a Modena at a tire shop and he was telling me that the gas mileage was the pits and he never liked to pull into the gas stations (full-serve by law). When we began discussing hybrids, he joked it would be something quite welcome.
Old 05-30-07, 12:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrari can just join the FIAT group and let the group's econoboxes average down the CO2 levels for them. Problem solved.
Old 05-30-07, 12:52 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Hybrids are the future man.
My prediction is that they're not. I think that hybrids are just a short term [, expensive, complicated, over-weight] bandaid. Personally, I believe that cleaner burning diesel and alternative fuels are the future. And in the more distant future, all-electric vehicles will probably get their second wind as soon as they can figure out a way to extend the cycle life without adding more batteries.
Old 05-30-07, 01:07 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Hybrids aren't the future... hybrids are the current trend. When you have $300k to spend on a car, I don't think you give two craps about how much gas costs...

I don't think that it has hit the auto manufacturers that fuel efficiency is better suited for those who need to pay less for gas... not pay more for a car. Toyota is still missing the boat with their ridiculously priced hybrids ($33K for a Camry Hybrid and damn near $25K for a Prius). If you want to make fuel efficiency the primary goal, then make a hybrid for the masses... not a hybrid for those that don't have to worry about the cost of a tank of gas. The last time I checked, someone that can manage to swing $100K or more on a Lexus LS600hL doesn't really care if gas is at $1.00 or $5.00 a gallon. Sure, they might gripe about it, but their lives won't necessarily be affected by it. I'm pretty sure, if not positive that the person that is living paycheck to paycheck making minimum wage is concerned about it... So, tell me... who needs it more? Then tell me that it's not a trend or "bandwagoning."
Old 05-30-07, 01:41 PM
JessePS

Ferrari Hyrbid lol

Just imagine if the V12 TDI in an R8 would actually fit power and very clean which would be something thats for sure.
Old 05-30-07, 02:07 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
Hybrids aren't the future... hybrids are the current trend. When you have $300k to spend on a car, I don't think you give two craps about how much gas costs...

I don't think that it has hit the auto manufacturers that fuel efficiency is better suited for those who need to pay less for gas... not pay more for a car. Toyota is still missing the boat with their ridiculously priced hybrids ($33K for a Camry Hybrid and damn near $25K for a Prius). If you want to make fuel efficiency the primary goal, then make a hybrid for the masses... not a hybrid for those that don't have to worry about the cost of a tank of gas. The last time I checked, someone that can manage to swing $100K or more on a Lexus LS600hL doesn't really care if gas is at $1.00 or $5.00 a gallon. Sure, they might gripe about it, but their lives won't necessarily be affected by it. I'm pretty sure, if not positive that the person that is living paycheck to paycheck making minimum wage is concerned about it... So, tell me... who needs it more? Then tell me that it's not a trend or "bandwagoning."
Yea I've always thought this way about hybrids too.
No one really buys hybrids for their fuel efficiency, I mean yes over a long time they'll start to see some saving when it comes to hybrids but the overall cost for a hybrid is a lot more expensive at first. If anyone is buying a hybrid for fuel efficiency they've been conned by the industry and the media. If you want a fuel efficient car that'll save you money buy a small econobox (Yaris, Fit, Versa, etc.). I can see buying a hybrid for it's green image or for certain models it's performance figures but not for saving money.
For example, I want to buy the production version of the FT-HS if and when it comes out. Not because I think a high-po 3.5 V6 hybrid powertrain is fuel efficient but because it brings performance and image to the car. The hybrid powertrain is a plus that it does save a bit of fuel but I'm sure not buying the car to save money because the car will be priced fairly high. I'm pretty much buying the car for it's techie geekiness and performance. Not to mention it is a sexy looking car (IMO).

Now if they were to mass produce a hybrid car that was more like the econoboxes than yes, I can see a fuel efficiency/savings. Maybe eventually they'll get there but the technology right now is too expensive and too heavy/large.
Old 05-30-07, 05:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
My prediction is that they're not. I think that hybrids are just a short term [, expensive, complicated, over-weight] bandaid. Personally, I believe that cleaner burning diesel and alternative fuels are the future. And in the more distant future, all-electric vehicles will probably get their second wind as soon as they can figure out a way to extend the cycle life without adding more batteries.
Correct and hybrids can help you get to the full EV cars. Just make the battery bigger (or more dense) and the elec. motors more powerful and make the ICE smaller and smaller.

Eventually, you'll get rid of the ICE and have a full EV.
Old 05-30-07, 07:56 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

The people with the most extreme penny pinchers, I experience it everyday at work.
Old 05-30-07, 08:33 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Correct and hybrids can help you get to the full EV cars.
Seems like a logical progression, yes. I was thinking the same thing a little earlier today.
Old 05-30-07, 10:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Seems like a logical progression, yes. I was thinking the same thing a little earlier today.
We're starting to agree (in several different threads lol).

Yeah... I might the whole concept of plug-in is to try to bridge the gap (and of course using hybrids as a stepping stone) but also use existing infrastructure (our 110V sockets for example) and none of that expensive quick chargers like the RAV4 EV and Ranger EV etc.
Old 05-30-07, 11:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

@ ff

Fuel cell vehicles are basically hybrids. you were saying?
Old 05-31-07, 03:17 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Cool

Its funny how lexus/toyota are planning the FT-HS and possibly a hybrid variant of the LF-A and everyone is sort up in arms about hybrid performance and the cost and also the weight added to the hybrids. When Ferrari wants to do it suddenly its a rockstar thing. Ferrari's are over rated in my opinion. I wouldnt mind owning a F430 just like anyone else but the cost of maintenance and to afford a Ferrari is quite ridiculous when I can get a NSX-R for the same kind of money. I know Ill get flamed for this but I really think Ferrari is not God of supercars. Japanese have proven there strength and they will own with the new wave of supercars about to be unleashed from the land of the rising sun.
Old 05-31-07, 06:24 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
@ ff

Fuel cell vehicles are basically hybrids. you were saying?
I was saying (and I quote) "I believe that cleaner burning diesel and alternative fuels are the future".

Quick Reply: Don't Rule Out a Ferrari Hybrid . . .