Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

geko - excellent post!

mmarshall, do you really believe most speed limits are reasonable or fair? I don't. A brand new divided 4 lane highway near me has sections with 35 and 45mph limits. I saw a policeman the other day in the middle with a radar gun. He had someone pulled over. What a huge waste of time.

Fortunately the 4 lane highway right outside my development is 65 all the way.
Old 05-29-07, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall, do you really believe most speed limits are reasonable or fair?
Depends on the amount of traffic on the roads. Generally the more traffic you have...and the greater the number of vehicles you have per unit of road space.....the slower you will have to drive to avoid tailgating and be able to stop in time. For instance, on the officially 55 MPH Capitol Beltway, 55 is sometimes a piece of cake....even on the slow side (some people do 80-90) But, there are times, on this miserable road and the incredible amount of traffic it carries (perhaps the most crowded highway in the country outside of Los Angeles) that 25 MPH or even 15 MPH can be dangerous. It is often a parking lot for miles and miles at a stretch.
The Beltway is also notorious for jacknifing accidents from 18-wheelers who don't slow down for sharp curves in the Maryland portion.

Actually, speed limits don't bother me anywhere NEAR as much as the CONSTANT addition of more and more speed bumps, 3 and 4-way stop signs, DO NOT ENTER signs, barricades, and traffic lights. They are becoming so numerous in some parts of the country that it is difficult or impossible to avoid them. We are told by our local governments that they are necessary but in most cases that is B.S....they are NOT necessary. They are put there because neighorhood civic groups simply want to stop traffic as much as possible from using the road, so they make it as difficult as possible to drive on it. I've seen these people go to town meetings and actually LIE about the number of "speeders" on the road just to talk city hall into putting up the "traffic-calming" measures. These people don't think about their transmissions, brakes, and suspensions, and the excess wear these things do to their cars, .......all they can think about is traffic and keeping "their" neighborhoods pristine. .

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-07 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 09:36 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I don't get it
What don't you get??
Old 05-29-07, 09:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on the amount of traffic on the roads. Generally the more traffic you have...and the greater the number of vehicles you have per unit of road space.....the slower you will have to drive to avoid tailgating and be able to stop in time. For instance, on the officially 55 MPH Capitol Beltway, 55 is sometimes a piece of cake....even on the slow side (some people do 80-90) But, there are times, on this miserable road and the incredible amount of traffic it carries (perhaps the most crowded highway in the country outside of Los Angeles) that 25 MPH or even 15 MPH can be dangerous. It is often a parking lot for miles and miles at a stretch.
So now you're agreeing with my argument that you dismissed out of hand just a few hours ago.....Did you even bother to read it?

"speeding", as in "exceeding the speed limit", has very little to do with accidents. "Driving too fast for conditions" is a FAR more dangerous behavior, and the speed limit is irrelevant.
Old 05-29-07, 09:58 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

The general law in VA, like in many other states, is 20 over the posted limit for a reckless driving charge.
You're absolutely right. That I don't have a problem with. What I have a problem with is that officer profiling me and getting really creative with the 89mph. So that he could he get his "charges" to stick. At no point did my car exceed 60 mph and thats before I even saw him sitting off to the side of the road with his radar gun. I t was easy to see him parked along a stop on the bridge. By the time he could have possibly hit me I was at 40 mph. And then for him to ride behind me with no lights for at least two possible intervals for a stop. Thats a bit strange don't you think?

If I were even moving at 70 mph, let alone his 89 mph claim, wouldn't he at least throw his lights on immediately and summons me. Not ride for another 5 minutes running my plates. And to add insult to injury tell the judge I never brought it down below 70 while he was following. How stupid does that sound?? What fool would do 70mph with an officer following them?? After running my VA license and insurance, he approaches the car with his Boy monologue as if this were the Jim Crow era. From there the BS ensued. Again I'm grateful I had my girlfriend in the car, as I can only wonder what may have followed.
Old 05-29-07, 10:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

NoVa, MD and DC have to take some kind of prize. My cousin in Ohio used to claim his highway state patrol was ever vigilant until he came out to visit my parents and I in DC and he changed his tune.

In Mexico City and the environs, you don't have to worry as a foreign-plated vehicle as the stationary radar cameras only pick up plates from the two major locailities, the Federal District and the State of Mexico, but as incentive for you not to speed the roads are usually a minefield.
Old 05-29-07, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The Beltway is also notorious for jacknifing accidents from 18-wheelers who don't slow down for sharp curves in the Maryland portion.
Now this I agree with. On Britain's 'motorways' (like interstates) they have variable speed limits anywhere there's a chance of significant traffic. Big light signs that show the CURRENT speed limit which might vary from 30 to 70mph typically.

Actually, speed limits don't bother me anywhere NEAR as much as the CONSTANT addition of more and more speed bumps, 3 and 4-way stop signs, DO NOT ENTER signs, barricades, and traffic lights. They are becoming so numerous in some parts of the country that it is difficult or impossible to avoid them. We are told by our local governments that they are necessary but in most cases that is B.S....they are NOT necessary. They are put there because neighorhood civic groups simply want to stop traffic as much as possible from using the road, so they make it as difficult as possible to drive on it. I've seen these people go to town meetings and actually LIE about the number of "speeders" on the road just to talk city hall into putting up the "traffic-calming" measures. These people don't think about their transmissions, brakes, and suspensions, and the excess wear these things do to their cars, .......all they can think about is traffic and keeping "their" neighborhoods pristine. .
I agree completely! Even in my place here in the boonies, some residents in my development wanted speed bumps to slow down 'maniacs'. Fortunately it's a horse farm community and anyone with a horse trailer said HELL NO you're not putting in speed bumps! That and most people are too cheap to want to pay for them anyway, so we didn't get them.

We did add one 3 way stop sign because people driving delivery trucks in particular would blow right past the one right hand turn at speeds way higher than reasonable.
Old 05-29-07, 12:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
What don't you get??
Your story. Is it supposed to be funny? Or am I missing something. I read and re-read and it seems as though you wrote part of the story and not the entire thing.
Old 05-29-07, 12:47 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Your story. Is it supposed to be funny? Or am I missing something. I read and re-read and it seems as though you wrote part of the story and not the entire thing.
It wasn't an attempt at humor. And perhaps you are missing something if you you read and re-read it and are still unable to grasp my points. That or you oblivious to components of Law Enforcement crossing a thin line a little too frequently. Let me know if you would like for me to elaborate.

Its one thing to have a conflicting view of a person's ideas, experiences or statements, but to ignore what is clearly presented to you is another. However, I do appreciate your sarcasm in regard to an all too recent experience of mine. To be threatened with jail time for a crime you didn't commit is not a pleasant experience. Fortunately I got off with a suspended license, $500+ fine and 6 points on my license which by the way will remain there for a another 10 yrs or so. The only reason I did do any time is because the judge noted that I have a clean record and no history of speeding. Just so you know 3 defendants ahead of me were all given jail time. Just imagine the knot in my stomach. I wouldn't want anyone here to experience that.
Old 05-29-07, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
So now you're agreeing with my argument that you dismissed out of hand just a few hours ago.....Did you even bother to read it?

"speeding", as in "exceeding the speed limit", has very little to do with accidents. "Driving too fast for conditions" is a FAR more dangerous behavior, and the speed limit is irrelevant.
I wasn't addressing your earlier post. I was answering a direct question from bit whether I considered speed limits "fair" or not. It is a complex issue, and many factors are involved. But one rule of physics stands out and will not change.....the faster you go, the more severe a potential accident is likely, and the more likely you are to lose control on slick surfaces.
Old 05-29-07, 02:04 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Some people have tried to make this argument but you cannot change or overrule the laws of physics. All other things equal, the faster you go, the more kinetic and potential impact energy your vehicle will have, the greater the impact force will be in a crash, and the greater the potential for vehicle damage and occupant injury or death.
I fail to see how this statement refutes what geko29 said. Nobody is trying to subvert the laws of physics here, but it is a leap of faith to conclude that the faster you go, the more accidents you cause (since that is the gist of NHTSA theory).

In reality, it is all about the money. In order to get the money (from fines and insurance), you need laws that should be broken (otherwise - no money). To fix the laws so that they can be broken, you need a group to marginalize. The 2 NHTSA's favorites are drunk drivers and speeders. It is a well-known fact that overwhelming majority of drunk driving accidents are caused by drivers with a BAC of well above the legal limit. And most of these people are repeat offenders. But that's not where the money comes from. Lower the legal limit, so now you can catch "regular folks" that just had a beer. Now, you're talking!
And, of course, you can't marginalize anyone without statistics supporting your point of view. As gecko29 pointed out, these statistics are regularly manipulated to come up with the "right" numbers. I have read several articles by Patrick Bedard (of C&D) investigating NHTSA statistics and disproving them.
The best indicator of the relevancy of speed limits is the percent of the people that exceed them on a regular basis on a particular stretch of the road. If only 1% do, then the limit is relevant. If ~50% of the people exceed it, then it is a bad speed limit.

My other point is that if the government really cared about traffic safety, they would tighten the standards required to pass a driving test, outlaw cell phones (with the exception of hands-free ones), and facilitate the flow of traffic, instead of regulating it to a stand-still (as mmarshall correctly pointed out). But there's little, if any money in it, so that's why it is not done.

geko29, excellent post, BTW - you beat me to it .
Old 05-29-07, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
... if the government really cared about traffic safety, they would tighten the standards required to pass a driving test, outlaw cell phones (with the exception of hands-free ones), and facilitate the flow of traffic, instead of regulating it to a stand-still (as mmarshall correctly pointed out). But there's little, if any money in it, so that's why it is not done.
Great post yourself, too.

Another thing (and I'd love to hear mmarshall's view on this too) is if the govt really cared about enforcing speed limits as opposed to collecting 'speed taxes', why aren't cars electronically governed from going more than 70mph? Easy enough to do.

Why does the government turn a blind eye to the fact that EVERY VEHICLE on the road capable of going 100 or more?

Isn't this just a little too tempting!?
Old 05-29-07, 07:31 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
I fail to see how this statement refutes what geko29 said. Nobody is trying to subvert the laws of physics here, but it is a leap of faith to conclude that the faster you go, the more accidents you cause (since that is the gist of NHTSA theory).

In reality, it is all about the money. In order to get the money (from fines and insurance), you need laws that should be broken (otherwise - no money). To fix the laws so that they can be broken, you need a group to marginalize. The 2 NHTSA's favorites are drunk drivers and speeders. It is a well-known fact that overwhelming majority of drunk driving accidents are caused by drivers with a BAC of well above the legal limit. And most of these people are repeat offenders. But that's not where the money comes from. Lower the legal limit, so now you can catch "regular folks" that just had a beer. Now, you're talking!
And, of course, you can't marginalize anyone without statistics supporting your point of view. As gecko29 pointed out, these statistics are regularly manipulated to come up with the "right" numbers. I have read several articles by Patrick Bedard (of C&D) investigating NHTSA statistics and disproving them.
The best indicator of the relevancy of speed limits is the percent of the people that exceed them on a regular basis on a particular stretch of the road. If only 1% do, then the limit is relevant. If ~50% of the people exceed it, then it is a bad speed limit.

My other point is that if the government really cared about traffic safety, they would tighten the standards required to pass a driving test, outlaw cell phones (with the exception of hands-free ones), and facilitate the flow of traffic, instead of regulating it to a stand-still (as mmarshall correctly pointed out). But there's little, if any money in it, so that's why it is not done.

geko29, excellent post, BTW - you beat me to it .
Truer words have never been spoken. It's clearly all about money. You should see these traffic cops up here in NYC. It's crazy. But the bottom line is that it generates revenue.
Old 05-29-07, 08:17 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

I live in the BURBS of Detroit. Very good and true.
-hass
Old 05-29-07, 08:34 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why does the government turn a blind eye to the fact that EVERY VEHICLE on the road capable of going 100 or more?
If they really cared for our health and safety, they would make Detroit Automakers put speed limiters on all the cars that can go fast (Corvette, Viper, etc...), kinda like Europe. They would also limit Tahoes and Escalades and other Texas-sized behemoths to about 60mph, since that's about as fast as they can go without 1) burning every drop of oil produced by the Middle East in the last 27 years and, 2) flipping over or getting blown into a ditch by a mild crosswind.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Worst Cities for Speeding