Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The worst accident I've seen!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 10:15 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I've been doing this 23 1/2 years, and this has to be in the top two of the worst accidents I've seen," Feld said.
Top two? I'd like to see pics of the other member of the top two...
State Police were investigating the cause of the accident.
Er, stupidity?

Kids are dead. So? Doesn't make them immune from ridicule. Kinda like the two who died in a road rage accident on I-270 in the MD area recently. This 28yo guy and 25yo girl were in a Sebring convertible and were seen verbally sparring with and flicking off the driver of a green pickup. Pickup dude was super angry and got in front and slammed on his brakes, and the Sebring tried to evade but drove off the highway. Crashed, passengers ejected because neither was belted. Pickup driver hasn't been found. What he did was absolutely reprehensible. He deserves jailtime as much as the two in the Sebring deserve ridicule for not wearing seat belts. In fact, it's kinda like the NJ gov -- hard to feel much sympathy for him given his broken legs are probably due more to not buckling up than his driver speeding at 91mph.

All that said, I acknowledge I've done some amazingly boneheaded things in a car and have been extremely lucky to have lived to make fun of all these people.
Old 04-29-07, 10:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
Really?....you just had to make that snide remark didn't you?
and he shouldn't have because....

i found it rather amusing
Old 04-29-07, 11:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Over at Bimmerforums.com they are reporting it was a 335i.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=737581

Speed was 'in excess of 100 mph' .... well in excess of that, I would say. The pic of what is left is amazing.

Of course now the stories come out on how the kids were so 'dependable and intelligent'. Yeah, right. Bottom line, no 17yo kid should be handed the keys to a +300hp car.

Last edited by Evitzee; 04-29-07 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 12:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Of course now the stories come out on how the kids were so 'dependable and intelligent'. Yeah, right. Bottom line, no 17yo kid should be handed the keys to a +300hp car.
thats a very bad generalization

i myself was driving my (290hp but close enough) LS4 before i turned 18 (a few months ago)

i had a '95 before that.

i have quite a few friends with higher HP cars and some are stupid and shouldnt be allowed to drive, but there are people of all age groups who fall into this category. in fact, i know more people 20+ that drive stupid/do stupid isht on the roads than people 16-19.
Old 04-30-07, 12:40 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

i myself was driving my (290hp but close enough) LS4 before i turned 18 (a few months ago)

i had a '95 before that.

i have quite a few friends with higher HP cars and some are stupid and shouldnt be allowed to drive, but there are people of all age groups who fall into this category. in fact, i know more people 20+ that drive stupid/do stupid isht on the roads than people 16-19.
That is true. There are stupid people in all age groups. I think people usually generalize because younger folks with not much social accountability and financial responsibility tend to do things without considering the consequences. But like I said there are old immature people, as well as young but conscious people.
Old 04-30-07, 01:06 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

At the crash scene Saturday, teenagers spent the afternoon sifting through the brush. They found earphones, a gray headrest and Alfieri's acceptance letter to Hofstra University, where he had planned to study business in the fall. He was an only child who had burns on his arms from pulling hot pizzas out of the ovens at the Bohemia restaurant that his family runs.

"His father, Anthony, will probably never be the same," said Barbara Skelly, a former waitress at Saviano's on Sunrise Highway that the Alfieri family has run for 30 years. She stopped by the restaurant Saturday to drop off a flower at the door.

A sign taped to the door said the restaurant would be closed until further notice.
Old 04-30-07, 01:08 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess to some of you, if it were your kid driving that car, you would say "blah that stupid ***hole kid of mine, doesn't deserve any respect, its good that he/she died"
Sometimes these accidents are caused by peer pressure, sure it is still the driver's decision to follow or reject the pressure, but it's a hard thing to do. It's a sad thing that these kids have not matured yet.

I would really like to know how they lost control though.
Old 04-30-07, 01:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hartawan
So I guess to some of you, if it were your kid driving that car, you would say "blah that stupid ***hole kid of mine, doesn't deserve any respect, its good that he/she died"
Sometimes these accidents are caused by peer pressure, sure it is still the driver's decision to follow or reject the pressure, but it's a hard thing to do. It's a sad thing that these kids have not matured yet.

im pretty sure that nobody here thinks the kid got what he deserved, it was a tragic event...

BUT, it was preventable, and theres a lot of peer pressure to do drugs, smoke, drink, and do tons of other stupid $*%# and the only person to blame is the one who was behind the wheel. the introduction of the idea that "peer pressure" was the cause of this is nothing more than supposition.
Old 04-30-07, 01:57 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan

I think alot of you are missing the point. No one is saying "screw the kid and his parents too because they don't know any better." It is more like "teach your child how to behave and don't give the kids something dangerous."

I hope the family can cope with their loss, and eventually they will need to see that maybe the freedom and spoil they gave to their child is proven to be too much for him to handle.

At the same time, don't label people who are criticizing the driver as cold-blooded devils with no sympathy and heart. If it was your kid riding in the passenger seat of that car and he passed away from this tragic accident without having a role in causing this accident, then it will not be so easy to brush it off and say let's move on with our lives.
Old 04-30-07, 08:24 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

i had a '95 before that.

We don't allow 12 year old kids to use firearms unsupervised, we don't allow medical students to treat patients without supervision, we don't allow people under 18 to enter into contracts by themselves, and the list goes on. As you state, you have friends who are stupid with cars. So how do we separate the good from the bad? By putting some restrictions on when, and where, inexperienced people can use these things. We have a curious system in this country where if you have the money you can buy the most powerful car or motorcycle as long as you pass the simple motor vehicle driving test which is inadequate to determine if you have the skills and temperment to use said vehicle. All other countries I've lived in have a multi-tiered licensing system with restrictions on size and power of vehicles, number of passengers that can be carried, alcohol use, time of day, etc. until they get some experience under their belt. It's not perfect, but it prevents a 16 yo getting his hands on a 160hp hyper Sports bike, or a +300 hp BMW. It's a step in the right direction.
Old 04-30-07, 09:03 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another example of children in cars capable of mass destruction.

http://www.4get2.com/2007/04/turbo_m...i_f430_etc.php

Obviously their parents have way more dollars than sense.

Shouldn't be too long before we read the story about a teen-age driver of a red Ferrari F430 being killed while doing 135 MPH in daddy's car.....

There's a sign in the video which reads "Fairview Golf and Game Center". The location is in Cleveland, TN
I wonder how many red Ferrari F430s are registered with the DMV in Cleveland, Tennessee? Probably not too many!
It should be easy enough to track down its owner and send him the video of his son being a total moron behind the wheel.
Might even help save the kid's life, if it's not too late.

Last edited by Lexucan; 04-30-07 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 04:01 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

This was posted at e90post the other day; according to them it was a 2007 335i coupe non sport. The wheels tell the story.
Old 04-30-07, 04:48 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys act like your all F'ing angels on here and never went fast in a car..If it was your brother or someone in your family would they deserve death? Kid made a stupid mistake thats what kids do but this kid wasn't that lucky. I don't see anyone flaming 1sick when he post his kills threads
Old 04-30-07, 05:31 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Do you show respect for the murderers/rapists/etc that died through death sentences too?

Being dead doesn't automatically give them any rights to more respect than they had before they died, especially if they were idiots to began with.

Yes it's sad that they died, but their actions caused the accident.
Ouch! A little harsh there comparing an accident over premeditated murder.
Old 04-30-07, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tuddy
You guys act like your all F'ing angels on here and never went fast in a car..

I don't see anyone flaming 1sick when he post his kills threads
1SICK is not dumb enough to do something like this. He is one of CL's, and CAR CHAT's, most auto-saavy people.

And, as far as being an angel goes, I won't claim that, but I am in my 50's and have NEVER gotten a speeding ticket...though I have a couple of red-light violations. I don't drive like an idiot... though I review a lot of cars and test their acceleration a reasonable amount.
And there is a reason why I don't drive like that. I saw more than one of my own high school classmates killed exactly like that moron in this thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-07 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: The worst accident I've seen!