Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 10:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tsuchiya (driver of the TL) is considered to be the best driver out of the guys from Japan. He was the driver in the G sedan when it was the fastest around the track out of the IS, G35, 335, Subie a couple of months ago.

If you put him in any car that is competitive with the others, he will most likely win. If he was in the G, it would have probably been the fastest. If he was in the IS, it would have probably been the fastest.
Old 04-12-07, 11:01 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So it seems that with different drivers in different cars, the TL-S came out on top. Funny, how in the February 2007 issue of Road & Track the 2007 IS350 beat out the TL-S.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...d/02073car.pdf

Last edited by F1Driver; 04-13-07 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-12-07, 11:53 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any of you people actually driven the type-s? the car is a whole different car compared to the regular TL. if the car was rear wheel drive it would be hands down the best car in its class
Old 04-13-07, 12:35 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that all three cars were driven by the same person. Same driver, same track, same day, same conditions=a very valid test.
Old 04-13-07, 01:17 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The funny thing is that a 17 year old NSX will probably wipe the floor with the upcoming IS-F around the track
Hey let's compare apples and oranges.
Old 04-13-07, 06:11 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

wow
the IS and G got spanked
by a lot
Old 04-13-07, 06:35 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I was under the impression that all three cars were driven by the same person. Same driver, same track, same day, same conditions=a very valid test.
AFAIK they have them race on a track with different drivers. It's similar to the G35/IS350/335i/LGT race they had last month where the 335i won. In that one Tsuchiya was driving the G35.
Old 04-13-07, 07:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Who saw this one coming? A FWD TL-S whipping the latest two RWD cars from Japan.

There seems to be no concensus among these three as for pure performance. They've all come out on top in various comparisons. I'd be hard pressed to pick a clear favorite. They all have something I'd want.
Old 04-13-07, 08:04 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Och
The funny thing is that a 17 year old NSX will probably wipe the floor with the upcoming IS-F around the track
I don't know about hypothetical scenarios. But I know for a fact that the Lexus SC430 slaughters the poor old NSX in the Super GT race circuit.
Old 04-13-07, 08:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven the TL-S and am at a loss as to how it beat out the IS350 or the G35. It's certainly not a pushover car but it really failed to impress me in terms of driving dynamics. Definitely feels less impressive, to me, than the other two.
Old 04-13-07, 09:20 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Obviously, as you know, the NSX will outhandle many of todays SPORTS CARS. A 17 year old Ferrari F40 will wipe the floor with the upcoming IS-F as well.... as it should being a true mid-engined sports car vs. a luxury sport SEDAN. I fail to see the comparison here. I'm sure a Ford Focus would wipe the floor with a School Bus as well.

I have to say... whether you like the looks or not, this is a very impressive showing from Honda with this TL-S.
Old 04-13-07, 10:11 AM
xpditor
Driver School Candidate

OK. Who are you and what have you done with our Mike?

I really appreciate your objective reporting of this comparo. A couple of posters must have missed the part that said the TL-S and G35 were manual transmission. The IS, of course, is not available with a stick.... yet. I hope that the IS-F will be offered with a manual but the preliminary info only shows the 8 speed auto (which is not a bad thing).

I believe that the same driver was used. Why have him there if you're not going to use him? That would skew the results and the mag would lose cred. Also, the "Drift King" driver is pictured in the IS and standing next to the G. (Green jump suit)

Also, in response to another poster, all TL's with manual transmission come standard with LSD (limited slip differential).

As to US or Japanese spec? TLs are all made in Marysville, Ohio. If they are even sold in Japan, this is only recently. Originally, they were not.

Base TLs come two ways: 1) loaded and 2) loaded with navi. You can pick auto or manual on the TL at the same price. Navi is standard on the TL-S. The only option is high performance tires ($200) which improve handling somewhat.

I currently have a 2004 TL but will be standing in line for the IS-F when it is available. I hope the price is reasonable.

Besides, the Capuccino at the Lexus showroom is better than the coffee at the Acura dealer. AND, they have cookies.

Last edited by xpditor; 04-13-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-13-07, 11:03 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well then KUDOS to Acura for offering a stick with the TL-S and SHAME on Lexus for only offering an auto with the IS 350. Its a contest and I'm not going to tell Kobe Bryant to wear Via Spiga shoes on the basketball court to make things "fair" for the Atlanta Hawks.
I think you should.
Old 04-13-07, 11:40 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Im the worlds biggest Lexus fan but i really like the TL-S for some reason im even more suprised its a FWD and the other two are RWD. Kudos to Acura.
Old 04-13-07, 11:44 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

OKay did some research.... Turns out that the difference in times between the article and the video has to do because of the track configuration. The track configuration in the video is setup with less curves and more opportunity to accelerate to a higher speed. Hence the much lower time for the TL-S. Although we do not know the times for the other cars with this configuration, I am sure the IS and G were much closer to the TL-S than 2 seconds. The track configuration that is in the article is set-up with more curves than the track configuration in the video. So where the RWD IS and G have the advantage in the straight-line, it seems the FWD TL-S scrubs it off with its capabilities through the turns.

Further more, the driver of all three cars is the same. Each car was driven on the track independently by the same driver and was tested for best-lap time. This does not appear to be a 'race' where all three cars where on the track at the same time with different drivers like those Best Motoring videos.

Quick Reply: 1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.