Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2007 (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2007 (Edmunds)

Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2007

By Warren Clarke, Content Editor

You're not getting older, you're getting better. But that doesn't change the fact that your senior-citizen status has likely meant big changes in the amenities you're looking for in your upcoming new-car purchase.

According to figures released by the Centers for Disease Control, arthritis affects almost half of all Americans over the age of 65. If you're one of them, you'll want a vehicle that caters to this condition. Grasping can be difficult for those living with arthritis, which means that features like buttonless shifters, touchscreen controls and hands-free Bluetooth technology are a plus. Keyless ignitions are good, because they allow drivers to start the car without suffering the pain that twisting a key may bring. Heated seats soothe arthritis-sore backs, and tilt-and-telescoping steering wheels and adjustable pedals make getting comfortable in the driver seat a no-brainer. Stiff joints can make bending a challenge; a vehicle with a tall seating position and ample front passenger room thus becomes desirable, since these features can make entry and exit so much easier.

Many seniors also wrestle with conditions that can compromise their vision. Poor depth perception can be a problem. If you face this issue, features like backup cameras and rear parking sensors can add value. Night vision systems are also available that use infrared technology to generate images of what lies ahead on dark roads.

Other senior-friendly innovations include lane-drift warning systems that let drivers know when they've edged outside their lanes. Adaptive cruise control makes life easier for the driver by automatically maintaining a certain distance between their vehicle and the one immediately ahead. Voice-activated navigation systems make getting directions a snap. And Lexus offers an advanced parking guidance system that uses sonar sensors to allow vehicles to essentially parallel-park themselves; all the driver has to do is monitor the brakes.

Keeping all of these factors in mind, we've developed a list of vehicles that offer features (some standard, some optional) seniors will love. Included are hybrids for those who think green and a minivan for those who need the room to haul grandchildren. The spacious full-size sedan has long been a favorite of the senior set; we've included some outstanding choices in this segment, as well as a couple of smaller sedans for those who like the ease of a compact. There's a fun-to-drive SUV, as well as high-end luxury sedans for those seniors with the means to afford the very latest in technology.

Here are the 10 vehicles (listed in no particular order) that we feel best cater to the needs of seniors.

Toyota Avalon
Senior-friendly features: Spacious cabin, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, keyless ignition, 12-way power-adjustable driver seat with memorized setting for two drivers, power-adjustable lumbar support, voice-activated navigation system.
Other perks: Upscale cabin, smooth ride, relatively affordable price tag that belies its long list of luxury features.

Ford Five Hundred
Senior-friendly features: Heated driver seat, eight-way power-adjustable driver seat with manual-adjustable lumbar support and memorized settings for two drivers, spacious cabin, tall seating position, height-adjustable driver seat, power-adjustable pedals, rear parking sensors.
Other perks: Available all-wheel drive, excellent visibility, outstanding crash test scores. At 21 cubic feet, the Ford Five Hundred's trunk is also the largest in its class. If you like the features offered by the Five Hundred but want a different look, consider its twin, the Mercury Montego.

Toyota Prius
Senior-friendly features: Touchscreen controls, roomy cabin, buttonless shifter, keyless ignition, voice-activated navigation system, backup camera, tilt-adjustable steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity.
Other perks: Hybrid technology makes this the most fuel-efficient car available, affordable price, relatively compact dimensions.

Toyota Sienna
Senior-friendly features: Backup camera, roomy cabin, tall seating position, height-adjustable driver seat, heated driver and passenger seats, eight-way power driver seat with memorized settings for two drivers, adaptive cruise control, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity, voice-activated navigation system.
Other perks: Available all-wheel drive, smooth ride, minivan versatility. The Sienna also has an available mobility package designed to cater to mobility-challenged drivers.

Mercedes-Benz S550
Senior-friendly features: Night vision, height-adjustable driver seat, heated driver and passenger seats, 14-way power-adjustable driver seat with memorized settings for up to three drivers, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity, keyless ignition, backup camera, adaptive cruise control.
Other perks: Available all-wheel drive, crisp performance and handling, a plethora of luxury features.

Honda CR-V
Senior-friendly features: Tall seating position, roomy cabin, backup camera, height-adjustable driver seat, heated driver and passenger seats, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, voice-activated navigation system.
Other perks: Nimble handling, available all-wheel drive, impressive degree of refinement throughout.

Honda Civic/Civic Hybrid
Senior-friendly features: Height-adjustable driver seat, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, voice-activated navigation system.
Other perks: Compact size facilitates easy parking, sterling reliability, excellent safety ratings, hybrid version is the second most fuel-efficient vehicle on the market.

Infiniti M35
Senior-friendly features: Lane-departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, backup camera, voice-activated navigation system, heated driver and passenger seats, height-adjustable driver seat, roomy cabin, 10-way power-adjustable driver seat with power-adjustable lumbar support and memorized settings for up to two drivers, keyless ignition, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity.
Other perks: Available all-wheel drive, athletic performance, no shortage of luxury features.

Lexus LS 460
Senior-friendly features: Advanced parking guidance system, height-adjustable driver seat, 12-way power-adjustable driver seat with power-adjustable lumbar support and memorized settings for up to three drivers, roomy cabin, Bluetooth connectivity, keyless ignition, heated driver and passenger seats, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, voice-activated navigation system.
Other perks: Quiet ride, opulent interior, brisk acceleration.

Toyota Camry and Camry Hybrid
Senior-friendly features: Height-adjustable driver seat, eight-way power-adjustable driver seat with manual-adjustable lumbar support, tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity, voice-activated navigation system, keyless ignition, heated driver and passenger seats, roomy cabin.
Other perks: Hybrid version offers stellar fuel economy, outstanding reliability.
source : edmunds
Old 03-28-07, 10:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

This their list last year BTW : http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...ar+for+seniors
Old 03-28-07, 10:47 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't see why a "roomy cabin" is a feature that's specifically beneficial for seniors. How often are seniors driving around with more than 1 or 2 people (including the driver) in the car?

If anything, that should be a feature intended for families, no?
Old 03-28-07, 10:49 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infiniti M35??? That can't be right...

Unless the car I test drove was an aberration I can't see this car
being good for seniors.
Old 03-28-07, 10:58 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
I still don't see why a "roomy cabin" is a feature that's specifically beneficial for seniors. How often are seniors driving around with more than 1 or 2 people (including the driver) in the car?

Carpool to Bingo, church, weekly book club....
Old 03-28-07, 11:16 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Infiniti M35??? That can't be right...

Unless the car I test drove was an aberration I can't see this car
being good for seniors.
maybe that's why they don't put m45... m35 is not that fast...
Old 03-28-07, 11:31 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Do you think a senior citizen who fits the profile targeted by this list would know how to use an adaptive cruise control or MB's night vision?

It's a catch 22... If you're a senior who's tech savvy enough to use all the latest gadgets such as the self-park, night vision, voice navigation, etc, then you are probably sharp enough as a senior citizen to not actually need that stuff because of your age.
Old 03-28-07, 11:40 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

They have some expensive senior citizens cars on there... the Mercedes-Benz S550, and the Lexus LS460... I would of thought that the Prius would be a bit small for them... also comfort wise, but i have not been in one...
Old 03-28-07, 12:24 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Overall I think this is a pretty good list, it covers mainly comfortable sedans over a wide price-range, therefore fits people with different finincial background. When you talk about cars good for seniors, the first ones pop up on my head are Toyota Camry and Toyota Avalon, they are relatively affordable and very very comfortable and easy to drive, not concentrate so much on handling and steering feel, which I think most seniors don't care too much. For some rich seniors, S550 and LS460 are the best things out there I think, show their social status and extremely quiet and comfy, and the techs are not for their daily use, instead may be for showing off in front of their old buddies hehe.....The new CR-V is really very nice, inside and out. My brother-in-law is thinking of getting one, even though he is in his early thirties . M35might be the only sporty car in the list, but still it could be a good choice for those energetic seniors. I think there are many other choices for seniors, such as Lexus RX350, Lexus ES350, Honda Accord sedan, etc.
Old 03-28-07, 12:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

Wait 'til you get older - you'll understand.

Part of the benefit of a roomy cabin is the ease of getting in and out. While a 70yr old woman may fit in a Corvette, she may break a hip trying to get in or out!

Another thing to consider is health aids some seniors need (either the driver or passenger). Could be a wheel chair, a walker, an oxygen tank, all of which my father-in-law needed in his last years so they had the Cadillac DeVille/DTS even though they certainly didn't otherwise need a car that large. When he passed I got my mother to downsize to the CTS.

I'm a long way from 70 but one of the HUGE benefits to me of an SUV is sliding straight in onto the seat instead of lowering down onto it. Also, the cargo area is often almost waist height, with no bending down to put stuff in or get it out as with a trunk. Sedans basically suck ergonomically compared to SUVs or CUVs which is why the 'UV's have become so enormously popular, especially with an aging population.
Old 03-28-07, 01:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just one correction there...the LS 460 driver's seat is adjustable 16 ways, not 12. It is the LS 460 front passenger seat that is adjustable 12 ways.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1
Old 03-28-07, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One reason you see so many seniors buying and driving physically large cars (by today's standards), besides the obvious benefit of the long-wheelbase ride comfort for sore backs, is the fact that, right or wrong, the instructors in the over-55 Driving classes stress the importance of LOTS of sheet metal and a large frame for crash protection....and they encourage their classes to buy accordingly. Of course, other factors are at work as well when it comes to crash protection...things like air bag and seat belt efficiency, effectiveness of crumple zones, interior design and padding, etc.....plus the obvious ability to steer a smaller, more agile car away from an accident in the first place. We, of course, know this because we are car people, but, unfortunately, the prevailing idea in the senior driving classes, though, is that the best way to survive a crash is to be in a rolling tank.....and, of course, according to the laws of physics there IS some truth to that. All other things equal, a smaller, lighter vehicle will come out second-best in a collision with a larger, heavier one.
Old 03-28-07, 05:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Excuse me mmarshall, but ahem, where's the buick, cadillac, and lincoln???

Interesting how alot of toyota is on the list

I would like to see how a senior get out of park in the S550....and if the S is in there, the 7 should be too.
Old 03-28-07, 05:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How is bluetooth, navi, i-drive (S550, LS460) and all that crap useful to seniors? Even yonger folks have trouble figuring it out, what is a senior going to do with it?
Old 03-28-07, 05:28 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

I thought Toyota was going to sweep the entire list

Quick Reply: Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2007 (Edmunds)