Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche has decided, they are going to use hybrid tehnology instead diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 08:57 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche has decided, they are going to use hybrid tehnology instead diesel

Porsche has made it clear that it would not be fitting any diesel powertrains to its cars, a move that would have brought it closer to complying with future carbon-dioxide emissions standards. Just Auto is reporting the Stuttgart based sports carmaker has chosen to develop a hybrid drivetrain that is expected to appear in the next generation Cayenne SUV. The EU is proposing that all carmakers in Europe must have an average CO2 emissions level of just 130g/km by 2012, up from the original 120g/km proposal. Porsche’s gas-electric hybrid Cayenne will cut fuel consumption by about 15%over the non-hybrid version. The technology will be co-developed with Volkswagen and Audi for use in future Touareg and Q7 models.
The hybrid Cayenne is expected to roll in by the end of the decade and should be faster than the standard V6 model because of the additional boost of the electric motor.
Old 02-22-07, 09:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What? Europe is actually more interested in hybrids than diesels now?!?
Old 02-22-07, 10:23 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrids are fun. I have a RX400h as a loaner right now and we're thinking of trading our RX350 for this.
Old 02-22-07, 11:32 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
What? Europe is actually more interested in hybrids than diesels now?!?
Nope, not quite there yet
Old 02-23-07, 03:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by @lpher
Nope, not quite there yet
@lpher, since you're European, how's the outlook on hybrids over there?

Are hybrids too much hype for you?

We Californians are pretty much isolated from diesel technology and know-how because of our "Clean Air Laws"...
Old 02-23-07, 07:16 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so does this mean VWAG group is going to ditch TDI and go with hybrid as well or is this just Porsche?
Old 02-23-07, 07:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am glad they are going to give that Cayenne V6 a little boost with this technology...they are very slow (take it from someone who has beaten one).
Old 02-23-07, 07:30 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Hybrids are fun. I have a RX400h as a loaner right now and we're thinking of trading our RX350 for this.
Curious what you find fun about them? They weigh a few hundred pounds more than a similar all-gas model, which will hurt handling, acceleration, mileage, and braking. Is it just the thought of being in a hybrid that's fun?
Old 02-23-07, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Curious what you find fun about them? They weigh a few hundred pounds more than a similar all-gas model, which will hurt handling, acceleration, mileage, and braking. Is it just the thought of being in a hybrid that's fun?
I have not driven one, so obviously I am not speaking from personal experience.

However all that I have read regarding the Lexus Hybrids - the RX and the GS, even though they are heavier than their gas-only counterparts, the additional torque that the electric motor gives in acceleration is just amazing.

I am sure that is what he is referring to as the "fun". Quicker acceleration (and he is comparing his RX350 to the RX400h, so he has a good basis for his comparision), even in a heavier car will bring a smile to anyones face.
Old 02-23-07, 09:18 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
@lpher, since you're European, how's the outlook on hybrids over there?

Are hybrids too much hype for you?

We Californians are pretty much isolated from diesel technology and know-how because of our "Clean Air Laws"...
We're seeing more and more Prius and GS400h vehicles every day...but its gonna take a while...till hybrids sales are equal or better than diesel im affraid...

In other words...i think we're getting there...eventually
Old 02-23-07, 09:25 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I read a while back that Porsche approached Toyota to license their technology-similar to what Ford does now. Curious how that panned out or is still in the process. To start from scratch would be $$$$$ and would take some time even for the miracle Weissach crew.
Old 02-23-07, 09:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by @lpher
We're seeing more and more Prius and GS400h vehicles every day...but its gonna take a while...till hybrids sales are equal or better than diesel im affraid...

In other words...i think we're getting there...eventually
You guys are ignoring the environmental impact of hybrid technology. The development and disposal costs with respect to the environment. Wait until all these hybrids start coming out of service, and we need to find a way to get rid of the batteries, and extra hardware that's required to operate a hybrid. Some group did a study recently (not sure how slanted it was, but...) that showed how a Hummer actually results in less environmental impact over the life of ownership than a Prius. I'll see if I can track that down.

Just food for thought, as things aren't always as simple and glamorous as they seem...

Here it is:
http://www.reason.org/commentaries/d...20060719.shtml

A good read, if you have 3 minutes to spare. Again, it may be slanted, but it should at least make you think twice about how green that hybrid really is.

Last edited by ff_; 02-23-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 06:29 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
You guys are ignoring the environmental impact of hybrid technology. The development and disposal costs with respect to the environment. Wait until all these hybrids start coming out of service, and we need to find a way to get rid of the batteries, and extra hardware that's required to operate a hybrid. Some group did a study recently (not sure how slanted it was, but...) that showed how a Hummer actually results in less environmental impact over the life of ownership than a Prius. I'll see if I can track that down.

Just food for thought, as things aren't always as simple and glamorous as they seem...

Here it is:

A good read, if you have 3 minutes to spare. Again, it may be slanted, but it should at least make you think twice about how green that hybrid really is.
So we should all buy hummers you mean...cause thats the most environment friendly thing to do at this point?

As long as i dont have to drive a 4-cylinder diesel engined car...im good
Old 02-25-07, 11:50 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by ff_

Here it is:

That research isn't about which is more environmentally friendly, it is about cheaper to build and dispose of

That thing doesn't tell everything we need to know, like how much of a difference is it dispose of an Japanese built Civic EX vs a Civic Hybrid because that thing takes into account of building and transportation of the vehicle

P.S. Hybrid power-trains are 100% recyclable so it isn't dumped in some junk yard
Old 02-25-07, 12:04 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

also hybrids are proven to last much longer and more reliable
Prius is being used by so many taxi drivers that have put on such high mileage and they are so happy with the money savings and the great reliability

the point of having a hybrid is to reduce exhaust emission which gets released into the air

by having battery plants, the pollution is concentrated into a few locations and it can be dealt with much easier and has less contribution on global warming

anyways, it makes sense for Porsche to go with hybrid
its performance is proven
and that having a diesel porsche does not help with porsche's performance image at all
unless porsche steals the TDI V12 from Audi lol

Quick Reply: Porsche has decided, they are going to use hybrid tehnology instead diesel