Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stolen car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 08:31 PM
NPD62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen car

2-20-07 2000hrs, my brother just called and told me his 96 madori green civic hatchback with about $3k worth of extra just got stolen from Ohlone College in Fremont. Now, I would be upset for my brother but I am kinda pissed at him. Reason- knowing that his car is one of the top 10 for stolen car, I brought him The Club. Trust me, 5 years law-enforcement, over 300 stolen car reports never one with a Club. So, guess what he didn't use it. Now it's stolen. Could the Club have prevented it? I don't know, but it sure would deter some. I have a 96 GSR with about 10k worth of extra. I use the Club everyday when my car is parked in the parking lot of the PD! Why, because it's so easy to steal these cars. If you have the Club, use it!!! Thanks. Just my two cent.
Old 02-20-07, 08:34 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I have a 1996 Acura GSR also. Mint condition. Once I got my new IS the GSR got the boot from the garage and has to be parked outside now. I put on the club on that thing because its still the top 5 on the stolen list. I have to admit I do get lazy and dont put on the club sometimes.
Old 02-20-07, 10:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

NO, THE CLUB IS JUNK.

Thieves cut the steering wheel with a hack saw and it doesn't even slow them down. I think in a review of the club on a show portraying car thieves it took thieves less than 8 seconds to saw through the steering wheel and toss the club out the window as a souvenir. They use a small saw roughly 8 to 12 inches long that is easily totable.

Thieves have specialty tools that allow them to steal cars in seconds. Special glass poppers, ignition poppers, etc..... only the most inexperienced thieves head out for a job with a screwdriver anymore.
Old 02-20-07, 10:14 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

i would suggest the club that you use for the break pedal. much harder to saw off then the steering wheel.

then again, nothing is a deterrent for a car jacker that has time.
Old 02-20-07, 10:24 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually the best way is taking your fuse out everytime you leave your car. out in this world they actually have picks that unlock clubs..and i agree with the guy on top. they cut the steerin wheel no problem. my frend had a 98 supra twin turbo. he takes out his fuse and the car will not start without it.
Old 02-21-07, 05:36 AM
cjones4640
Driver

Default ...

a little freon on the lock...hit it with a hammer or screwdriver...whola...the club is no more..i would get a steering colum lock or the club that goes to the break ped. like someone said above...how about an alarm? it sometimes detour ppl when they see that lil light flashing...but if they really want your car..they will get it!!! when i was stationed in san diego...it was a hang out spot call fairmount flea market(i think)..anyway..i seen guys pull up and go in...and no sooner then they go in..a tow truck would pull up and snach up their car..took only 20 to 30 secs...
Old 02-21-07, 06:27 AM
SILes300
Driver

Just take your battery where ever you go. I usually like to sit ion it during a movie at the theatre. It also saves my seat in class when I have to go the bathroom.
Old 02-21-07, 06:36 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$3k invested and no clifford?, clutch lock, fuse idea is a good one. wire up a kill switch--do something that will give them a harder time.

when i had my integra, i had a a clifford with the +/- code inputs so that everytime you open/close the door or start the car you'd have to put in the code or the car will die one you press the brakes, clutch lock and even a secondary kill switch

with honda's you could never be to safe, especially when dumping money into it
Old 02-21-07, 11:09 AM
NPD62
Driver School Candidate

OLT, when was the last time you saw a car thieve carrying a saw to cut a club? Most car thefts are stolen base on opportunity not some career car thieve out there to stealing his 1000th car. Let's use some common sense here. I am a car thieve, I am gonna go to the parking lot of a school carrying a saw in my backpack just in case someone is using a Club on their car. Come on now. Maybe where I live and work the thieves don't carry saws and other tools, instead of jacking cars without any type of protection.
Old 02-21-07, 11:12 AM
NPD62
Driver School Candidate

BTW, my brother did have a Clifford, guess that didn't help.
Old 02-21-07, 11:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your brothers ride..Crooks The club is useless imo. I would go with the auto lock which connects to the brake pedal. I have one gathering dust in my garage.http://www.autolock.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm

Did your brother have the Clifford pager system, or non pager?
Where did the installer of your brothers Clifford hide the brain of the system? A good installer will remove the dash and put the alarm brain somewhere that is not easily accessable. In addition, the battery backup on the alarm(which is an option) could make a huge difference in preventing drive away car theft. The alarm will still be active even if a thief disconnects & reconnects the car battery.
Old 02-21-07, 12:02 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

club only slows them down a few second so you can't be mad at him for not using the club. It's a little hassle for sure but that is why have auto insurance.
Old 02-21-07, 12:43 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

If I had a nickle for everyone I know who has had their Del Sol/Integra/Civic stolen that I know I would be rich.

Sorry to hear it.