Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What we really own...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 10:35 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What we really own...

I had a talk with one of my friends that owns a SC400 in the states. It seems to me that he figures himself to be in a different class because he owns a lexus. I reminded him that he owns a toyota badged as a lexus, meaning, it was "just a toyota." Why do lexus owners take offense to the fact that some people may call their cars toyota's? The ironic thing is, the people who associate their cars with luxury because they own a lexus, also try to convert as much as possible to soarer. I have a problem these days with people who try to elevate themselves via car status. When i was younger and rolling the streets in my camaro, supra owners wouldnt talk to me because they were "above me." It seems that a good majority of lexus owners seem to be this way too. I understand that there are idiots out there in all classes of cars, but in my opinion the man makes the car, not the other way around. Sorry...just venting.
Old 02-18-07, 10:37 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... this is something new.
Old 02-18-07, 10:44 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

Well I figured someone had to say it...
Old 02-18-07, 10:56 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

sorry about your friend but, for the most part most people in the SC community pay hommage to the Soarer. There are some that think they are bigger than life because they drive an old car. I just think those are the type of people that never had anything. Personally I have alway love these cars and they are tangible. your friends feelings are NOT consistant with the majority on this forum. on the real the average car age is 10 years old. who couldn't get one if they wanted one. I feel everyone here loves the quality of the Toyota product and timeless beauty of the car.
Old 02-18-07, 11:05 AM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Hah we have had many heated debates about this. Many members on this board don't agree that its a toyota with a lexus badge. They always come back to "its a Lexus"....what does it say on your side windows, on your sunroof, on your parts....They are definitely Toyotas with a few more luxuries. Toyota has been a no bs car company for a while and is one of the major reasons whey they do so well. Lexus offers Toyota reliability with luxury. But as far as the SC goes, haha it is the epitome of a Toyota brought over from Japan thrown in the Lexus market.
Old 02-18-07, 11:22 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

Well I was refering to some people on this forum. I've been around here for sometime, and heard my share of comments about how people should treat/modify their car because it's a lexus.
Old 02-18-07, 11:27 AM
play123boi
Pole Position

Some peeple are just stuck on status and others just enjoy the fact that their ride is unique it's the same with clothes and people that are stuck on brands. To me Toyota makes my car but I am proud of it because it is mine and forget what anyone else thinks. Toyota/Lexus means a pretty reliable vehicle.
Old 02-18-07, 11:49 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Well, it is a toyota through and through, however we do have the advantage to beefier design and better quality products. How better quality if it is all toyota? Sit in any toyota car and you'll notice it doesn't seem as nice. A lot use cloth, cheaper plastics, etc... The lexus line gets the better of it all in production. Same goes for mechanical.

Neither the same as toyota branded cars, nor different, just better in a lot of ways.
Old 02-18-07, 12:52 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Jarrett H
Hah we have had many heated debates about this. Many members on this board don't agree that its a toyota with a lexus badge. They always come back to "its a Lexus"....what does it say on your side windows, on your sunroof, on your parts....They are definitely Toyotas with a few more luxuries. Toyota has been a no bs car company for a while and is one of the major reasons whey they do so well. Lexus offers Toyota reliability with luxury. But as far as the SC goes, haha it is the epitome of a Toyota brought over from Japan thrown in the Lexus market.
The windows and sunroof on my GX470 say Lexus on them. But underneath, a lot of the vehicle is a Toyota Prado.
Old 02-18-07, 01:19 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The license plate frame on my LS sums up my opinion ...
Attached Thumbnails What we really own...-license-plate-frame.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 02:00 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Because he's an ignorant *****.

I drive a Toyota, and I'm proud to drive a Toyota.
Old 02-18-07, 03:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

People in Mexico confuse my Lexus for a Toyota...I even use Camry center Caps with the Toyota logo (not for theft, but actually better quality build).

I pay homage to the Toyota Harrier and a lot of the features of the vehicle we don't have (especially the tiptronic-like transmission).

True, some people will have their different attitudes and opinions about their vehicles. I have friend who belong to Chevrolet clubs and they comment that they hate the fact that Opels are badged here as Chevys.

At my track, we do have arrogant ****** on occasion, I know a few with SRT-4s and Civic VTECs (and they don't show much on the track either) who think they are above everyone else until they have their butts handed to them by a turbocharged VW Beetles or even my RX300 in the case of the VTEC.
Old 02-18-07, 04:19 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same parts, same cars. Heck, you can even purchase the chrome trunk bar from a 05/06 Camry and install it on a 2nd Gen Lexus GS and they are not even the same platform.... Amazing
Old 02-18-07, 05:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The windows and sunroof on my GX470 say Lexus on them. But underneath, a lot of the vehicle is a Toyota Prado.
not really... Prado is actually GX. With Prado, what they did is make an Lexus and then rebadge it.

This is evident in cheapest Prado versions, intended for goverment/company usage, that dont even have stereo in them... and yet they have soft plastics everywhere, same as in GX.

So it really goes both ways...
Old 02-18-07, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
My personal take is that they are all Toyotas... (not that there is anything with that)

Toyota has tried to differentiate the brand a few years ago by no longer offering a Toyota counterpart in Japan. (Soarer/SC430, Aristo/GS and so on)
most definetly... Lexus is luxury Toyota. And thats pretty damn nice.

Quick Reply: What we really own...