Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Random thought. A/C on 24/7 in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 10:24 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random thought. A/C on 24/7 in the car?

I'm sure there has been a thread like this in the vastness we call ClubLexus. But I couldn't think of a easy way of searching for this under the search function, plus there is a character limit in the search.

Soooo, I figured I make a new thread! I like to waste bandwidth.

This thought pops in my head many times and I just want to see what other people do.

So let's have it people! Do you drive with your A/C (Or Climate Control) 24/7. Orrrr, Do you wait till the engine is all nice and warmed up before turning on that A/C. Do you turn it off before shutting the engine down? Or just leave it as is?

For me, I usually only turn on the Climate Control when the engine is warmed up, UNLESS it's like 100+ outside. I usually turn off the A/C before I shut down the car, but sometimes I forget. Does it really matter? Who knows. I was told the A/C Compressor doesn't kick in until the car is already started. But Some insist it's extra load on the engine when starting.

So, what's your style?
Old 02-14-07, 10:45 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use auto climate control pretty much exclusively. In cold weather the AC rarely gets turned on, but in warm weather it pretty much always does. I don't think it's a big deal for the A/C to be on while the car is cold, it's only an extra ~150 rpm load. I just make sure I baby the car until the temperature needle is where it usually rests at.
Old 02-14-07, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's always on, i never turn it off. when the car is cold the system is actually shut off. for example during winter when it's very cold outside, i drive my car and before the car warms up the system is off
Old 02-14-07, 10:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I drive with the top down.
Old 02-15-07, 01:20 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I drive with the top down.
bit runs around topless.

anyway, I have my A/C on pretty much all the time.
Old 02-15-07, 01:58 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually turn the AC on right after I start the car. The reason is because often I turn the AC off a few blocks before I reach my destination and switch it to outside air to help dry up any condensation if possible in the ducts. Ever since I've been doing that I don't get any mildew smell. Honda once released a TSB about this as well and that is where I learned if from. Anyway, other than that I don't wait for the car to warm up, and if I happen to leave the AC on I just start the car right up. Were I live we use the AC practically all day every day of the year. I haven't had any AC trouble in any car under 10 years old.
Old 02-15-07, 04:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For those of you with manual climate control, you will want to turn on the A/C compressor at least a few minutes a week, even in the winter....this helps keep the compressor and its seals well-lubed, in good working order, and minimizes the chances of it failing or leaking. When not in the Defrost or split Defrost/Floor-vent mode, you can turn it off and on manually with the A/C button. In cold weather, you don't have to put up with an Arctic blast from the A/C vents either.....just rotate the temp **** clockwise or slide the temp lever to the right a little and you can, on most newer cars, mix in heat to keep you toasty inside with the compressor running.

Now, two things that are VERY important with manual units.........pay attention, because this gets a LOT of people screwed up:

First, on most new cars, switching on the Defrost or split Defrost/floor vent automatically turns on the compressor. This provides a source of dry, dehumidified air to help absorb moisture and clear the windshield faster. But, at the same time, it also chills down the glass in a hurry, so that if you don't add some heat in a reasonable amount of time, moisture starts to condense.....and maybe freeze...on the OUTSIDE of the glass, and messes up your vision once again. This can easily be prevented by just adding some heat to the output when the defroster is running....and the heat added will dry the air down even more and clear the windshield that much faster, and more important, keep it that way.

Second, it is imperative that if your car's system doesn't have an automatic interconnctor system, when you use the defroster or split defroster/floor vent mode, you use ONLY the fresh-air intake.....do NOT use the recirculate mode, except for very short periods of time. If you DO use the recirculate mode, it simply recirculates the moisture evaporated from the windshield over and over, back through the cabin, and deposits a layer of fog right back inside the windows, all over again. I have seen this happen with SO many people, over and over again ......they use the defroster with the recirclate on and then wonder why the windshield won't stay clear, then take a cloth or towel and start wiping the inside of the windows, then take the car to the shop and b***h that the defroster won't work.
That is why Ford, for a while, simply got rid of the recirculate-mode lever in their cars a number of years ago. Despite warnings in the Owners' Manuals not to do so, people kept trying to use the defrost in the recirc mode and fogging the windows up in the process.
This problem, in most new cars, is prevented by having an automatic sensor that does not allow the recirc function in the defrost mode.....when you turn on the defrost, it automatically switches to the fresh-air intake. This, however, does not prevent the cold air hitting the windshield from the compressor from chilling the glass down quickly...it is still a good idea to add a little heat to it as I described above.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-07 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 05:44 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks mmarshall, very informative

Mine's almost always on... it's on with the Auto CC
Old 02-15-07, 10:04 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info guys!

Hey Henry, I know you man! Those window switches never get exercise unless you gotta get a ticket from a booth. I bet you still have that new car smell.
Old 02-15-07, 10:36 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pocky
Great info guys!

Hey Henry, I know you man! Those window switches never get exercise unless you gotta get a ticket from a booth. I bet you still have that new car smell.
I'm like you I hardly turn it on and wait till the engine is mildy warmed up before doing so. I always turn off the AC before I shut down the engine.

This thread reminds me, during my lunch break I should turn on the AC since I havent used it in about 2-3 weeks!
Old 02-15-07, 10:56 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I keep mine on all the time at 76 degrees and the seat fans on ultra cold.
I drive with my sunroof tilted most of the time and the rear shades up.
If I'm not going above 50mph, I'll crack the front windows just for that extra spot of engine noise to seep through.
Old 02-15-07, 11:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the fan on at low at all times, but the A/C is off. I use the A/C only when warm.

I guess I should turn on the A/C once in a while...
Old 02-15-07, 11:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I hardly use my AC. I turn it on maybe once very week.

I do stop and go driving so I dont really want to put an extra load on my engine. It's eating up gas like a hog already. Besides, it doesn't get too hot where I live (normally around 70).
Old 02-15-07, 01:10 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

i never ever use my A/C or heat, I just keep the temperature **** turned high in the winter (but the fan is off, the A/C is off) and as I get over 30mph, the warm air blows in through the vents. It's the opposite come summer. I usually have the windows down always anyways in summer so no need for A/C. Plus I turn the temperature **** at coldest and at over 30mph, cooled air comes in through the vents.

The only time I use A/C is when I need the defrosters activated to clear fog during the rain.
Old 02-15-07, 02:53 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It was always on 72 degrees in every Lexus I had...until my new IS. It's been off unless I need it? It might be due to seat coolers since leather gets hot?

Quick Reply: Random thought. A/C on 24/7 in the car?