Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru to Introduce Boxer turbo Diesel in Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Subaru to Introduce Boxer turbo Diesel in Geneva

The boxer turbo diesel.
8 February 2007

Subaru will introduce a 4-cylinder horizontally-opposed (boxer) turbo diesel engine at the Geneva International Motor Show next month. This is not only its first diesel, but the first boxer turbo diesel. Subaru had announced at the 2006 Paris motor show that development of the turbo diesel was almost complete.

Due for its first vehicle application early next year, the Subaru boxer turbo diesel is a highly rigid unit with low levels of noise and vibration.

This eliminates the need for a balancer shaft which counters uneven combustion pressures and general roughness. Subaru’s first diesel is as compact as its gasoline units and combines unusually strong pulling power at low engine speeds with high-rev throttle-response.

Subaru will unveil both the engine and a symmetrical all-wheel drive drivetrain as part of its press conference at the show on 6 March.
source : greencarcongress
Old 02-08-07, 09:13 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I can see why Toyota would want to buy Subaru.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-08-07 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-08-07, 10:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a huge technical achievement. The first ever boxer turbo diesel. It's unlikely that Toyota would use boxer engines were it to buy Subaru, but the engineering expertise in powertrains from Subary and the the expertise in batteries from Fuji Heavy would certainly catch Toyota's attention.

Also having Subaru as a "sport" brand of Toyota would likely mean a re-entry into WRC for Toyota. Toyota and Subaru together in rally would mean big trouble for Mitsubishi.
Old 02-08-07, 11:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What a beautiful design. Everytime a new vehicle brand enters Mexico, one of the first things some of my friends ask me is if they will have a diesel (gas prices are pretty high here, too). I am sure this will no doubt help in the similar European market, where a diesel option is a must.