Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Minority Report Lexus up for Sale!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 07:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Minority Report Lexus up for Sale!!

eBay Find of the Day: future Lexus from Minority Report

So far this year we've seen several famous movie cars up for sale. There was the Ghostbusters Ecto 1, and Kinight Rider's KITT also changed hands. Now for something completely different.

In 2002, Lexus was commissioned to build several futuristic cars for use in the Philip K. ****-inspired Minority Report. If you watched that movie and said to yourself, "When oh when will I be able to drive a wild car like Tom Cruise?" then there's an eBay auction you need to check out. Up for sale is one of (supposedly) three 2054-model year Lexuses. Bidding on the private auction begins at $88,000 and is likely to get closer to the estimated $125,000 it cost Lexus to build it.

Unlike Ecto 1 or that smart-mouthed KITT, this movie car isn't built on an existing chassis. Instead, the auction description claims, it was built from scratch by Lexus. Oddly enough, it's powered by a Chevrolet V6, which leads us to believe the car may have initially been a non-running background car used in the film as a prop. It was probably later transformed into the semi-street legal (check local laws, the auction advises) exotic you see for sale. Shots of the super-spartan interior reinforce that suspicion. Luckily, the owner says a custom interior will be installed for the auction winner.

Despite its current source of propulsion, this would be one helluva car to go to your 2054 class reunion in. That would be my, um, 65th class reunion. Hmmm. Perhaps the Munsters' hearse would be more appropriate for most of us.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Old 02-07-07, 07:12 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"In 2002, Lexus was commissioned to build several futuristic cars for use in the Philip K. ****-inspired Minority Report."

What's up with the language-nanny feature on this site?
Old 02-07-07, 07:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Noticed on the ebay site, 'a reliable 6 cyl Chevy engine"????

I love this vehicle. Wish I had the cash to turn the powerplant into something really worthy...except that cash is going to my RX300
Old 02-07-07, 07:35 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Noticed on the ebay site, 'a reliable 6 cyl Chevy engine"????

I love this vehicle. Wish I had the cash to turn the powerplant into something really worthy...except that cash is going to my RX300
Are you saying that a 6 cylinder Chevy engine can't be reliable? Or that you figured it would have a Toyota engine in it?
Old 02-07-07, 08:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ff_
Are you saying that a 6 cylinder Chevy engine can't be reliable? Or that you figured it would have a Toyota engine in it?
The first statement.
Old 02-07-07, 09:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The first statement.
Blinders, man. Blinders...
Old 02-07-07, 09:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ff_
Blinders, man. Blinders...
LOL.

However, I am impressed it has such a motor. Most times I heard about a movie set concept car, it has maybe nothing more than a go-kart engine or nothing at all. I have to respect whoever when through the trouble.

Kudos to Steven Spielberg for looking to Lexus to design this. I heard Steven is a Lexus owner, too.
Old 02-07-07, 10:07 AM
jmaynard
Driver

It should be noted that that $88K is a Buy it Now price...so the price won't go up from there.
Old 02-07-07, 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outside is cool, inside is so not Lexus.

I suppose Lexus is keeping at least one (the red one)?
Old 02-07-07, 11:52 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Yeesh... where the hell did they dig up those seats... Yikes!
Old 02-08-07, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Imagine pulling up at a Clublexus meet in it!!!

"I 1SICKLEX of 2054" all other car makes broke down, Lexus is the only company left.
lmao

Old 02-08-07, 08:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

"I 1SICKLEX of 2054" all other car makes broke down, Lexus is the only company left.
lmao
2015: Toyota fell to the same fate as the Big 3 because they grew too fast. They went broke trying to fix all the problems that resulted from trying to maximize profit by reducing product content/build quality. People realized "hey, why are we buying Toyota, when other companies sell a better product for the same price?" So they left Toyota for other carmakers, and from that point on, Toyota became the butt of all the reliability jokes that are currently reserved for Ford and GM.

2054: With all other car companies gone, there was no competition for Lexus, so they reduced their offerings to just one car, that came in one color, with one drivetrain choice, and the quality/reliability was terrible. Dealerships refused to fix mechanical problems under warranty (wait, that's already the case...) because consumers had no choice but to accept it.

lmao
Old 02-08-07, 08:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

lmao
I just had flashbacks to Demolition Man and Taco Bell was the only food franchise left...fortunately I like Taco Bell.

I'd like to keep my RX300 running until 2054.
Old 02-08-07, 08:48 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I, want that. Just drive it around ... be totally cooler than 99% of the cars on the road because hey, they can't get one. Park it where ever, no one is going to tow it because it's just too cool.
Old 02-08-07, 09:02 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

yall see the VIN number 00000000000000000, guess Lexus didnt get the interior done to future standards

Quick Reply: Minority Report Lexus up for Sale!!