Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not renewing car mag subscriptions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts
Default Not renewing car mag subscriptions...

There's so much info on the web including all the great stuff on ClubLexus, I no longer see any need to subscribe to car magazines. Several issues of the two subscriptions I have (AutoWeek and Car & Driver) sit in piles skimmed or unread.

It's not that my interest in cars has gone down (far from it), it's just there's so much good and greater info online that's one thing, plus I just no longer like the magazine formats, skipping by pages and pages of ads, trying to find a table of contents page, and having to skip over sections I have no interest in, like some guy's jet powered 1970 tractor review or whatever.

I might keep the C&D subscription, we'll see, since I think last time around it was $1 an issue, but I'm done with AutoWeek.

What about you guys?
Old 02-03-07, 09:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My bro subscribed to C&D. I just take his
Old 02-03-07, 09:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I have cancelled years ago, only buying one occasionally if there is something in it that I really like & want to keep(usually pictures). Otherwise, I usually just browse through them at the magazine racks.
Old 02-03-07, 09:15 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually just buy a few if one of my friends says there's an article of my interest, or if something catches my eye on the covers, or if I'm going on vacation. THe second option doesn't work very often though... let's face it, being in the realistic market for a new car, supercars don't really interest me.
Old 02-03-07, 09:47 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think you must not take dumps......

However, I would keep Autoweek - takes only 10 minutes to read and when done you can skim the classifieds while dumping.....oh crap, I just remembed you don't do that

PS - nice write-up on the Audi R in the latest Autoweek.

edit: While C&D has taken a turn for the worst, I still think it is the best mag out there. I think their newest price is free
Old 02-03-07, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
There's so much info on the web including all the great stuff on ClubLexus, I no longer see any need to subscribe to car magazines. Several issues of the two subscriptions I have (AutoWeek and Car & Driver) sit in piles skimmed or unread.

It's not that my interest in cars has gone down (far from it), it's just there's so much good and greater info online that's one thing, plus I just no longer like the magazine formats, skipping by pages and pages of ads, trying to find a table of contents page, and having to skip over sections I have no interest in, like some guy's jet powered 1970 tractor review or whatever.

I might keep the C&D subscription, we'll see, since I think last time around it was $1 an issue, but I'm done with AutoWeek.

What about you guys?
EXactly

What pissed me off more was when I cancelled R+T, they sent me a collection letter saying I never paid for my subscriptions

What got me really thinking back then about these car mags. was when the X-terra won SUV of the Year for 2 years (not in a row, I think)

I love CL car chat.
Old 02-03-07, 11:04 AM
Mister P
Driver School Candidate

It's funny, because I just had this same thought the other night while reading the March edition of C&D and its coverage of the Detroit Auto Show. I thought to myself "well, I've already read about all of this information on the Internet." Then, that lead me to think about what it would be like not even subscribing in the first place. I don't care too much for the way they've re-done C&D, although I can deal.

I think that ultimately the Internet will lead to the demise of many a car magazine. The information is here so much quicker and easier, and in most instances, free. I'm sure that some will stick around, because as Bit said, it's not that expensive to keep them coming. There still is a part of me that loves getting them in the mail, mostly for pictures and the off chance that there may be a unique take on the vehicles/unique story.
Old 02-03-07, 11:08 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
EXactly

What pissed me off more was when I cancelled R+T, they sent me a collection letter saying I never paid for my subscriptions

I love CL car chat.
Very common what you experienced with RT. Google Road and Track collection. Should be illegal. Probably is.
Old 02-03-07, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well I think you must not take dumps......
I have books to read too.
Old 02-03-07, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mister P
There still is a part of me that loves getting them in the mail, mostly for pictures and the off chance that there may be a unique take on the vehicles/unique story.
Yeah I still get excited when a mag comes in the mail and I skim for pics and headlines usually right away. And you're right, there's often some 'buried' articles that are very interesting, but I find too often that a magazine just ends up collecting dust among piles of bills, notes, brochures, manuals, etc. Yeah, I'm not as organized as I should be.

But there's a reason my nickname is bitkahuna - I'd rather consume bits than atoms.
Old 02-03-07, 12:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still like C&D and super street... they are inexpensive and nice to have...
Old 02-03-07, 12:26 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I don't get mags like R&T, C&D, Autoweek. I get Super Street, Sport Compact car, Modified Mag(my fav), stuff like that, that is about the aftermarket scene. If I wont to know about anything OEM then I can search it on here or any place else on the web.
Old 02-03-07, 12:34 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

$1 per issue is too much. i just saw it could be had for about $4 per yr. other car mags for about the same price also. let me see where it was.

look here. with coupon C&D is under $4 per year
http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/cat...26+Motorcycles

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 02-03-07 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 12:56 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
$1 per issue is too much. i just saw it could be had for about $4 per yr. other car mags for about the same price also. let me see where it was.

look here. with coupon C&D is under $4 per year
http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/cat...26+Motorcycles
That's a great deal. I renewed my subscription with Motortrend for $15 for two years or $7.50 per year.

I do agree with Bit that one can find, read and just browse on-line for the latest information on cars. It's all at your fingertips...
Old 02-03-07, 01:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Cheap or not, I don't need more garbage accumulating in my house.

Quick Reply: Not renewing car mag subscriptions...