Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?
Yes
87.64%
No
11.24%
I honestly don't know
1.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 12:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think people were this stupid....
Old 02-02-07, 12:25 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually....

i had a friend who coincidentally had her battery AND her fuel run out on her (the battery wasn't entirely her fault, but the fuel was)

and when the AAA guy came and gave her a cup of fuel and jump, he told her that she didn't have enough juice in the battery to restart the car if she turned off the engine during her fill-up, and actually said she would have to leave the car running while she filled up--but nothing would explode or kill the station.

and as for a cigarette....I had a chemistry professor tell me that the liquidity from the gasoline is actually strong enough to put out the cigarette before it catches fire...

but personally i turn my engine off.

Last edited by whoster; 02-02-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-02-07, 01:16 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Absolutely and if you don't do it in Mexico (full serve everywhere) they won't put gas into the tank.

Yeah, some countries get all bent out of shape about it. I never turn off the car when filling up and continued my practice when vacationing down in Aruba, the lady at the gas station just about had a heart attack when I tried filling up before shutting off the car.
Old 02-02-07, 01:48 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry guys, for my stupidity of making this poll

And like I said, I turn my car off when pumping gas 96% of the time
I was just curious to see how many would say no and theres a hanful of people who said no so far .......

Also , It doesnt say in ANY of the gas stations where I live to turn off the engine when pumping fuel....just a FYI
Old 02-02-07, 02:47 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
I see this with some frequency...I don't get why people ignore this and equally so they light a cigarette up at times. One instance I pointed to a sign that stated "no smoking" and the guy gave me that whatever look and keep puffing away.

I had a guy do that too, I told him there is no smoking and he got all pissy and said "what's the big deal, the smoke can't be bothering you" I said no you fricken idiot, you're pumping gas!
Old 02-02-07, 03:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm laughing at the poll results, lol. 9 people DO leave their car running! . One voted that they don't know, hahaha. Must be driving a Prius (it's so quite it sounds like it's off).

People like to live life on the edge I guess.
Old 02-02-07, 03:45 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I believe in IL it's a fine if you leave your engine running while pumping gas, and cops sit in gas stations around here
This is the first I have ever heard this and living in IL almost 25 years I have yet to ever see a cop sitting at a gas station watching if you turn off your car, you gotta be kidding me. Are you sure there isnt a Dunkin Donuts nearby and you mistook the cop sitting there and actually working?
Old 02-02-07, 03:47 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

I would think the starter engaging and cranking the engine creates MORE of a risk of sparks flying around then the car already just idling, this is why I think its totally pointless to turn off your car!!!
Old 02-02-07, 03:47 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well to be honest, I never did before coming to America, the thing is that in some countries you don't get out of the car, you pull to the station, tell one of the attendants what you want and how much, get your gas pumped and pay them w/o turning off the car.. and I know it's dangerous but even down there I never heard of a case of someone starting a fire or blowing up while pumping gas in the 17yrs I lived there..
Old 02-02-07, 04:03 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PetesLS400
I would think the starter engaging and cranking the engine creates MORE of a risk of sparks flying around then the car already just idling, this is why I think its totally pointless to turn off your car!!!

Plus, what if some car isnt running right and backfires upon cranking over or shutting off from too much raw fuel getting dumped in the exhaust?? Talk about a nice flame shooting out of the tailpipes then.

Just how you guys cant believe that people like me keep their cars running while pumping, I honestly CRINGE when the guy next to me is starting his car and hope that no sparks are flying from his starter or tailpipe.
Old 02-02-07, 04:40 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PetesLS400
This is the first I have ever heard this and living in IL almost 25 years I have yet to ever see a cop sitting at a gas station watching if you turn off your car, you gotta be kidding me. Are you sure there isnt a Dunkin Donuts nearby and you mistook the cop sitting there and actually working?
Nah, I work in Lincolnshire. They don't do anything out there but bust people for 3 over with their unmarked cars.

I swear I've seen signs that say you can receive a fine for not turning off your vehicle. My car will need gas again within the next 2 days, I'll see if I'm just imagining it or not.
Old 02-02-07, 08:21 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

I'm pretty sure it's a State law here in MA that you have to shut your car off.
Old 02-02-07, 08:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I always turn mine off, except for one time when I had my old car. Had a bad alternator/battery and wasn't sure if I'd get the car to start again if I turned it off, so I just left it on.
Old 02-03-07, 08:50 AM
siamiam
Driver

in summer time yeah, during winter time no(most of the year) not many folks shut their cars off up here during winter especially when its in the -40F or colder range
Old 02-03-07, 08:53 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by siamiam
in summer time yeah, during winter time no(most of the year) not many folks shut their cars off up here during winter especially when its in the -40F or colder range
wow...and I thought -7F was cold.

Quick Reply: Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?