Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And what, exactly, is the point of Mercury?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 10:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default And what, exactly, is the point of Mercury?

After last week's flurry of news from Detroit, we're realizing that little was heard from Mercury. Parent Ford certainly had some introductions and unveilings, but nothing from across the corporate hall. It makes us wonder whether the Mercury brand is going to completely wither and die, or if Ford's got some surprises left. There really seems to be little point to the brand. There are no Mercury-specific models like there once were (Cougar, Villager, etc.) and really nothing particularly compelling for sale. Perhaps giving Mercury a segment to fill would drive the brand.

How about nixing the Fusion and making the Milan the place to go for your C-segment car? The MKZ should hang around to fill the lux niche. The Milan is arguably more handsome than the Fusion, and definitely has a nicer interior. That'd at least give people one reason to enter the Mercury store. Mercury's game plan is to be the bridge between Ford and Lincoln; what that means for now is badge-engineering by way of fascias and accoutrement.

Once the Way Forward becomes a clear path, we may see the sun rise on new and distinctive Mercurys. Part of what's eating at Alan Mulally is that Ford globally is about more than the blue oval. There are several different branches on the family tree worldwide, each with distinct product. This stratification leads directly to us US drivers acting like Beatlemania-posessed teenage girls. Ga-ga over the Euro offerings; pressed up against the fence, trying to get at the Mondeo or Focus. Mulally is keen to bring Ford's worldwide operations closer together, and acknowledges that we deserve fewer Emperor's New Clothes "remakes," and more soul-stirring machinery.

There are different design themes between Ford in the US and Ford abroad. Part of merging and streamlining global operations will be a convergence of design. That doesn't mean F-Series trucks that look like the Transit, but it will mean finding some common themes that make Fords recognizeable worldwide. May we suggest, if they're hot to bring the European product over to the Colonies, making Mercury the sole agent for those uniquely-accented Fords? Spiffy interiors and different faces only go so far.

Letting Mercury be the sole outlet for something different than what's across town at the Ford lot would at least get some notice. There also exists an opportunity to punch-up the style coming out of Mercury. Style is largely a misnomer for the brand right now. The Grand Marquis has all the style of a pair of orthopedic shoes. Sure, it's a nice enough car; but there's not a line on the flanks that appeals to anyone under 70 that's not a cop or cabdriver. The Montego is even more ho-hum than its Ford Five Hundred sister. Only the Milan and the Mountaineer have some semblance of uniqueness to them, and they're far more handsome than their Ford counterparts. How about building on that? The Norelco grille is classier than the "three bar."

Let's not go wild, but hopefully things will improve as Ford starts to get their act together. Currently lagging GM's turnaround, the business term for Ford's current state is: a mess. They are looking to replace or redesign 70-percent of their offerings across all their brands by 2010. Expect key vehicles to have more attention lavished on them. "Key" must denote the cars that the brand is being staked on. We'll be waiting to see that kind of commitment from the Blue Oval. We've seen desperate, confused moves so far. Whoops, we mean we've seen Ford "focusing on its strengths, rather than matching the competition one-to-one with vehicles." Hopefully Mercury can recall it's the Cougar, not the cower.
Old 01-21-07, 10:18 PM
LexFather

Mercury should have gotten the axe years ago.

Old 01-22-07, 05:06 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find no reason for the brand.
Somewhat like I find no reason for GMC.
Toyota does it perfectly fine with two brands (I'm not counting Scion, they're a niche market and they don't really share buyers with Lexus and Toyota).
Old 01-22-07, 05:26 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
Toyota does it perfectly fine with two brands (I'm not counting Scion, they're a niche market and they don't really share buyers with Lexus and Toyota).
I'm glad someone finally said this. I asked this question about GMC before, and I was told GMC tends to have more workhorses available, however there's no reason to have a Yukon AND a Trailblazer.

I do personally think that Mercury steals sales from Ford. There's really no reason to have the Montego, Milan, 500 and Fusion all sell at the same exact time.
Old 01-22-07, 05:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mercury should have gotten the axe years ago.
No....I think this is one of the VERY few automotive issues you and I disagree on.
Mercury, in general, markets to a different clientele than Ford does....somewhat older and more conservative. Sort of like the difference between Chevy and Buick at GM, and Dodge and Chrysler at D-C.

Take the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, for example. The Crown Vic sells mainly to police departments, taxi drivers, and SOME older citizens. But many MORE older citizens buy the Grand Marquis because the police and cab drivers aren't interested in it...and the Grand Marquis, with its plusher interior, is tailored to the needs of older people. Both cars, of course, along with the Lincoln Town Car, appeal to those who want a traditional full-box frame, V8, RWD, full-size car.....they (unfortunately ) are the ONLY ones still available.

And, while Mercury does market small and medium-sized SUV's and minivans, they don't even bother, any more, to market entry-level cars, pickup trucks, pony cars, and large SUV's, areas that Ford traditionally dominates. So, in general, Mercury has ITS customers......an Ford has ITS. Each contribute their share to Ford's buisness.
Old 01-22-07, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

> And what, exactly, is the point of Mercury?

2 points actually...

Old 01-22-07, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

2 points actually...

Is that why most of their vehicles have roomy rear seats?
Old 01-22-07, 10:13 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason to have multiple brands selling almost-identical cars under the same corporate umbrella is to sell more vehicles through multiple channels.

When the dealers signed the contract with the manufacturer, there's an agreement in the contract stating that no other dealer will carry the same brand of vehicles within certain distance. By offering a different brand, the manufacturer is able to have an extra channel to sell similar product without breaking the rules.
Old 01-22-07, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
The only reason to have multiple brands selling almost-identical cars under the same corporate umbrella is to sell more vehicles through multiple channels.

When the dealers signed the contract with the manufacturer, there's an agreement in the contract stating that no other dealer will carry the same brand of vehicles within certain distance. By offering a different brand, the manufacturer is able to have an extra channel to sell similar product without breaking the rules.
True.....but radius or no radius, there has to be a MARKET for those "multiple channel" sales. You can't sell rebadged Fords as Mercurys if people don't WANT them...or are willing to buy them.
Mercury, despite its rather stodgy and pedestrian image, still manages to sell its products well enough to keep them as part of the Ford lineup....though, as I said above, don't look for any Mercury entry-level cars, pony cars, large SUV's, or pickups. The market just isn't there for Mercury-badged vehicles like that.
Old 01-22-07, 11:23 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma

Yeah right.

Toyota, Scion, Lexus, Hino, Daihatsu are all Toyota. Toyota and GM are very much alike.
Old 01-22-07, 02:18 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Yeah right.

Toyota, Scion, Lexus, Hino, Daihatsu are all Toyota. Toyota and GM are very much alike.
Right, but none of the vehicles are really rebadged versions of another manufacturer with a different grille. Those are all WAY different vehicles. The closest vehicles we've seen are probably the ES and the Camry, and since the redesign it's become hard to tell those two are related any as well.
Old 01-22-07, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Yeah right.

Toyota Scion and Lexus.

And ALL three are doing EXCEPTIONAL. You forgot to mention that. Any company would love to have only 3 brands like those.

Mercury is flawed, failing and needs to be put to rest.

Old 01-22-07, 03:04 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

The point of mercury is to be used in barometers and tell pressure can you tell i just had an exam
Old 01-22-07, 03:06 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

2 points actually...

Yup.

Old 01-22-07, 03:58 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Jill is Mercury's best "model"

Quick Reply: And what, exactly, is the point of Mercury?