Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What SUVs excel at both luxury and off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 03:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mavericck
Did you watch those videos I posted in that post after I edited it? I just added some videos that kind of verify my point. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=30
Again, I am not saying those SUVs do not deserve kudos for their accomplishments. But if you TRULY wanted that much sport and UTILITY, you would buy one of these, with more cargo room and will run rings around a SUV.

But, sadly, a wagon is not "cool" enough to be seen in.

Old 01-21-07, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Not true at all..BMW X series handles like their sedan counterparts. Flat cornering that will suprise many. Try taking a GMC Envoy, Ford Explorer, Lexus Rx350 at 80 mph in a corner to compare and get back to us (if you can)
Those SUVs u mention are NOT for that use. They actually are UTILITY vehicles. You know that main reason to buy one. CARGO, CARRYING. And they excel very well at it.

Old 01-21-07, 04:00 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This has to be the height of niche marketing: to create a $80K+ vehicle for trail bustin'. One of the givens of serious off-roading is that you WILL bend or break something - the thought is to make it disposable or as inexpensive to repair as possible. Light off-roading is a lot of fun - I've done a good deal of it - but I know when to back off. Burying your luxoboat in a mud bog, or pitchpoling it down a steep slope is probably not something your financial planner would recommend.

If you want to engage in THAT kind of sport, trailer a purpose-built off roader, baja buster, or rock crawler. If you screw it up too badly at least you can pile the parts on the trailer and drag it home in comfort.
Old 01-21-07, 04:02 PM
kpuri
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagree. The QX56 comes from a plant that is notorious for quality problems, has reliability down in Land Rover's area, and, unlike Land Rovers, doesn't provide either the comfort or the capability off-road that they do.The QX56 is a good people-mover ( when not in the shop ), and, like the Armada-Titan it is based on, can tow relatively heavy loads, but it is not considered one of the better off-roaders for its size.
I was just offering my bias opinion
’06, ’07 models don’t seam to be plagued with the rattles and brake problems of the earlier years. If you notice Consumer Reports seems to be based on the problems of the 2004 Nissan Armada and no considerations have been given or changes made in reporting since that year.

Now with out regard to Price or Reliability the Range Rover is the most Luxurious/Off Road Capable vehicle on the road today (when it's not in the shop).
Old 01-21-07, 04:04 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, I am not saying those SUVs do not deserve kudos for their accomplishments. But if you TRULY wanted that much sport and UTILITY, you would buy one of these, with more cargo room and will run rings around a SUV.

Granted, those wagons may have similar cargo space in them and handle a little bit better, but you'd never be able to go truly "off-roading" like you would be able to in say a Cayenne or Range Rover.
Old 01-21-07, 04:10 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Those SUVs u mention are NOT for that use. They actually are UTILITY vehicles. You know that main reason to buy one. CARGO, CARRYING. And they excel very well at it.
I'm not sure about the utility in the RX. : It's more of a raised sedan, which it actually is....
Old 01-21-07, 04:13 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'll have to talk with the M-B people for details, but as I understand it, the days of the G-Wagen being sold in the U.S. are numbered. It is being replaced by the new G-Class SUV that is not derived from a military source like the old G-Wagen was. It is basically a slightly bigger brother to the M-Class.
That's too bad. I've seen vids of a G-Wagen on terrain that even a Range Rover could not handle (actually, the G was sent in to pull the RR out when the RR got stuck). I believe the G's are also hand built.

Though handling is much better than you would expect from such a slab sided vehicle, it doesn't dampen or ride as smoothly as newer model SUVs. But the G is a tank - metal bumpers and thick sheet metal all around. I've driven one extensively, and I never worried about door dings when parking it - it's that solid.

I believe MB had already decided to stop importing it to the U.S. when they decided to bring it back last year for one last hurrah.

Here's a link to a spy photo of the new G: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...s_benz_g_class
Old 01-21-07, 04:14 PM
LexFather

Anyway back on topic for me. (my bad)

What about the VW Tourag????It has plenty of luxury and is off road capable

Old 01-21-07, 04:18 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pvmike1
That's too bad. I've seen vids of a G-Wagen on terrain that even a Range Rover could not handle (actually, the G was sent in to pull the RR out when the RR got stuck). I believe the G's are also hand built.

Though handling is much better than you would expect from such a slab sided vehicle, it doesn't dampen or ride as smoothly as newer model SUVs. But the G is a tank - metal bumpers and thick sheet metal all around. I've driven one extensively, and I never worried about door dings when parking it - it's that solid.

I believe MB had already decided to stop importing it to the U.S. when they decided to bring it back last year for one last hurrah.

Here's a link to a spy photo of the new G: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...s_benz_g_class
Sorry but that article of the supposed 07 G-Class is extremely outdated. That's the new GL-Class, that's a stretched ML basically. It's been out for half a year now, maybe a little longer.

As I posted earlier, the GL off roading.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6J6usLRz8Q
Old 01-21-07, 04:20 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX_330
Sorry but that article of the supposed 07 G-Class is extremely outdated. That's the new GL-Class, that's a stretched ML basically. It's been out for half a year now, maybe a little longer.

As I posted earlier, the GL off roading.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6J6usLRz8Q
Okay, my mistake.

I just noticed that vids of the G-Wagen are posted on page 1. Like mmarshall wrote, that thing is built like a bank vault!

Last edited by pvmike1; 01-21-07 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 04:25 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Okay, my mistake.

I just noticed that vids of the G-Wagen are posted on page 1. Like mmarshall wrote, that thing is built like a bank vault!
I bet the design was based off a bank vault too!! Have I ever mentioned that bank vaults look awesome?
Old 01-21-07, 04:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just want to hit you with some stats..I highlighted the BMW X3 for yah

Road & track 11/06 skidpad #'s

BMW M5 .87g
BMW M3 Comp Coupe .88g
BMW X3 .88g
BMW M6 .88g
BMW M roadster .89g
BMW 330I .83

Lexus IS350 .80g
Lexus GS450H .83g
Lexus IS250 .84g
Old 01-21-07, 04:54 PM
LexFather

BMW M5 .87g
BMW M3 Comp Coupe .88g
BMW X3 .88g
BMW M6 .88g
BMW M roadster .89g
BMW 330I .83

Lexus IS350 .80g
Lexus GS450H .83g
Lexus IS250 .84g
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...op-gear-bmw-x3

It can have a skidpad of .99 or over a G, it won't feel nearly as good as a car/wagon.

You might not want to watch this, he gets brutal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8lCMOZvMI

Old 01-21-07, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

BMW M5 .87g
BMW M3 Comp Coupe .88g
BMW X3 .88g
BMW M6 .88g
BMW M roadster .89g
BMW 330I .83

Lexus IS350 .80g
Lexus GS450H .83g
Lexus IS250 .84g
Take these figures with a grain of salt. Many different things can affect skidpad figures...tire pressure, tire tread and rubber compound, vehicle load, road surface friction, air and pavement temperature, etc...
Tires are probably the biggest factor. Take any of the test results above, put different tires on the car (even keeping all other things equal), and you will likely come up with a different figure. That also applies, of course, to acceleration, braking distances, and slalom speeds.

That is why I personally don't put a whole lot of stock in published skidpad figures...there are too many variables, and it is only accurate with factory tires....or the tires that the testing organization ( in this case R&T) is using.
Old 01-22-07, 10:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...op-gear-bmw-x3

It can have a skidpad of .99 or over a G, it won't feel nearly as good as a car/wagon.

You might not want to watch this, he gets brutal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8lCMOZvMI
I saw those old vids of the 05 x3. Those vids really don't depict what the vehicle can do. When i get home, I will post up some vids that will open some eyes.

It can have a skidpad of .99 or over a G, it won't feel nearly as good as a car/wagon
I don't believe that you have driven the X series of Sav's from BMW. After driving one, you will bite your tongue

Quick Reply: What SUVs excel at both luxury and off-roading?