Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next S2000 a 4-Seater ? (& to get Acura Badge ? )

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 10:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Next S2000 a 4-Seater ? (& to get Acura Badge ? )

Japan Report: Honda S2000 Successor To Grow Up, Spawn Extra Seats?

January 4th, 2007 8:25 AM

Behind firmly closed doors in Japan, Honda continues to work on a possible S2000 successor. But with a twist: the new version, if approved, will have four seats and shift upmarket toward a more affluent SLK-type audience.

While the S2000 has had its fans, and that brilliant 2.0-liter screamer of a four-cylinder is almost worth the price of admission alone, overall it’s been too raw and hardcore of a package to deliver the kind of sales that Honda originally hoped for.

So now it’s rethink time, and a new mock-up is underway according to a source familiar with the program. Critically, the car has not yet been approved for production, and even if Honda management gives the green light soon, the new sportster is at least two to three years away. This gibes with earlier reports that peg the car’s successor as not coming to market before 2009.

While it’s still in the car’s very early days, our source says we can expect: A) rear-wheel drive B) an altogether less raucous mechanical package than today’s S2000 and C) a car that looks totally different than the current model.

If it sees the light of day, it’s up for debate whether the car would sell as a Honda or Acura.
source : windingroad
Old 01-04-07, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, to me the idea of a 4-seat S2000 is heresy, but there is no denying the fact that it worked for the Mazda RX-8...if you consider the fact that the RX-8 doesn't really seat adults in the rear.
Old 01-04-07, 11:51 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would be a very sad day for car enthusiasts
Old 01-04-07, 01:04 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

^x2, I think this would be a huge mistake to put a 4 seat s2k in production, maybe even take it from Honda and then give it to Acurs. That ain't right if it happens.
Old 01-04-07, 01:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should keep the S2000 as is, a hardcore sports car. People who want practicality would get STi or EVO. S2000 is unique in that sense, and they shouldn't move it upmarket.
Old 01-04-07, 01:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why?

It's already laughable that the SC, XK, and the such has rear seats, so why and how would the significantly smaller S2k be able to do it, whether or not it is functional?
Old 01-04-07, 01:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I still remember when my father and I went to look at getting a 300ZX around 1991 and the salesperson told us no 2+2 Twin Turbo, which from what I remember they only had in Japan. My father wanted that extra seat back there even if he was not going to use it. We ended up with a 325ic which we put a lot of work into in the end.

It really depends on the buyer. I have to figure some market research, quantitative or qualitative was done that beared the 4 door out. An oddity down here I remember with the RX8 is that contrary to popular belief, more people (by a big margin) wanted an automatic RX8 down here than a stick. Now, it is not yet being sold here, but I remember it had been planned at one point.
Old 01-04-07, 04:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I still remember when my father and I went to look at getting a 300ZX around 1991 and the salesperson told us no 2+2 Twin Turbo, which from what I remember they only had in Japan. My father wanted that extra seat back there even if he was not going to use it. We ended up with a 325ic which we put a lot of work into in the end.

It really depends on the buyer. I have to figure some market research, quantitative or qualitative was done that beared the 4 door out. An oddity down here I remember with the RX8 is that contrary to popular belief, more people (by a big margin) wanted an automatic RX8 down here than a stick. Now, it is not yet being sold here, but I remember it had been planned at one point.
The 300ZX 2+2 turbo was also imported and sold in Europe. It was a mistake not to bring over the 2+2 turbo in America because I think it would have made the car more appealing to someone with a small kid or who wanted the space for storage which there was very little of with the 2 seat turbo, it would have lowered the insurance premiums too. The NA 2+2 was just too slow to really compete with other sports car offerings at the time. They instead brought over a convertable 300z which did not have the turbo engine, was poorly executed, got terrible reviews, had too much chasis flex, was too expensive, and did not sell well at all. It is unfortunate because the 300zx was one of the best looking sports cars to come from Japan, I still think it looks better then the 350Z. Hopefully the next one will be lower and sleeker and lose the Audi ttish like design.

As for a 4 seat larger softer S2000 replacement possibility there will be alot of dissapointed enthusiasts but it will probrably sell in higher numbers. I don't see why Honda can't just make a proper S2000 replacement for hardcore enthusiasts and a larger rwd sports car with rear seats and possibly a tuned turbo 4 cylinder from the RDX or a powerful v-6 for people who need a back seat and want something a little more suited for day to day driving. Honda needs more sports cars in its lineup so having 2 that cater to different needs is a good thing.

Last edited by UDel; 01-05-07 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-04-07, 04:21 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm one of those die hard fans of the NSX and S2000. I defended this company a lot since I owned a lot of Honda/Acura cars. Lately though the direction Honda/Acura is taking with their sports cars is just sad. First a front engine NSX, now a 4 seater S2000? If these cars really do come out I have no doubt they will perform well, but I'm done with Honda. The only two cars I will buy from Honda/Acura in a long time would be used S2000, and NSX's. Soichiro Honda was about passion and racing. Thus the NSX and the spirit of the S2000. Forget about sales numbers for sports cars. Get back the passion.
Old 01-04-07, 05:37 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have no idea what the folks at Honda are thinking.

A front engine NSX and a 4 seater S2000 is heresy. They'll be removing exactly what is great about each car: the NSX's excellent mid engine handling and the light, tossable nature of the S2000.

It reminds me of the mistake that Chevy made with the Impala SS. They killed the name when it became a FWD V6.
Old 01-04-07, 05:44 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Honda should just sell a coupe version of the S2000 to compete with the Z4 coupe/Cayman/TT/350Z. Heck, it could even be a targa since we know the frame is stiff enough. Imagine this car with a tuned RDX turbo 4:

Last edited by pvmike1; 01-04-07 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 10:23 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Honda should just sell a coupe version of the S2000 to compete with the Z4 coupe/Cayman/TT/350Z. Heck, it could even be a targa since we know the frame is stiff enough. Imagine this car with a tuned RDX turbo 4:

I'd hit it. I hate convertibles.
Old 01-04-07, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sigh..... just keep it the same way it is now....
Old 01-05-07, 01:16 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pvmike1

Is that custom or photoshop or what? iIts very interesting no doubt, I'd probley buy it.
Old 01-05-07, 06:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Agree, adding 2 seats to the S2000 is just wrong. Switching to DBW throttle and adding traction/stability control was already enough to turn me off on the latest of the current design. Having a rear seat in this car would be the nail in the coffin. Just think about how much weight that's going to add to the car...

I'd rather they kept the S2000 like it is, raw, relatively light, a screamer. And then add a new sedan model to the lineup that's based on the same concept. Same drivetrain, RWD, about the size of a Civic. And no, the Civic Si sedan doesn't cut it.

I realize how difficult it is for Honda to sell these things in America, with the consumer having been beaten into submissions by having slushotippymagictronic transmissions and soft suspensions shoved down their throats. But if they can find a way to build true sports cars that people can actually afford, and still turn a profit, I hope they continue to do so.

Quick Reply: Next S2000 a 4-Seater ? (& to get Acura Badge ? )