Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Silverado named truck of the year

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 06:41 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chevy Silverado named truck of the year

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16279422/
Attached Thumbnails Chevy Silverado named truck of the year-061219_chevy_silverado_hmed_5a.hmedium.jpg  
Old 12-19-06, 07:10 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor Trend is starting to **** me off with releasing the damn COTY and TOTY before the subscriber magazines arrive. That defeats the whole purpose of subscribing to them..
Old 12-19-06, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chevy needs the hype to survive.

The Tundra is a huge threat (have you seen the desperate commercials of "This is our Country, This is our Truck" midwest pro-American anti-foreigner mentality?). Chevy needs the credentials for now. We'll see how it will survive after a year or two...
Old 12-19-06, 08:15 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It was pretty much a GM battle with the exception of the Explorer Sport Trac so it was made to be.
Old 12-19-06, 06:30 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Have they always had all 3: Car, SUV, and Truck of the year?
Old 12-19-06, 10:28 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Chevy needs the hype to survive.

The Tundra is a huge threat (have you seen the desperate commercials of "This is our Country, This is our Truck" midwest pro-American anti-foreigner mentality?). Chevy needs the credentials for now. We'll see how it will survive after a year or two...
What's wrong with being Pro-America, your the own sounding threaten.

Tundra is a great truck but the loyal GM & Ford owners don't jump ship that easy. Nissan and Toyota are finding brand loyalty with Americans and there trucks to be strong just as Lexus enjoys brand loyalty from there customers.

To be honest I have been following the new Tundra & Silverado and can say that the Toyota has its work cut out. Now that the new Tundra can be built to really work on the farm and tow big equipment those trannys are going to be put to the test. The previous full size trucks were not perfect by and means. Most Tundra buyers until now never really did HEAVY towing or pay load work.

From the rumor mill Toyota delayed the new Tundra to upgrade the interior after seeing the new Silverado and quality controls were lacking.

It should get interesting
Old 12-19-06, 10:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 2001 Chevy Z71 Silverado, and if I would have fit in the tiny parking spaces and streets of L.A. and Beverly Hills, I would still have it. I love the new one - I didn't like that "bowtie" front end on the 03-06's, but the new 07 model is awesome and I want one...

Javier
Old 12-19-06, 11:48 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimxo
What's wrong with being Pro-America, your the own sounding threaten.

Tundra is a great truck but the loyal GM & Ford owners don't jump ship that easy. Nissan and Toyota are finding brand loyalty with Americans and there trucks to be strong just as Lexus enjoys brand loyalty from there customers.

To be honest I have been following the new Tundra & Silverado and can say that the Toyota has its work cut out. Now that the new Tundra can be built to really work on the farm and tow big equipment those trannys are going to be put to the test. The previous full size trucks were not perfect by and means. Most Tundra buyers until now never really did HEAVY towing or pay load work.

From the rumor mill Toyota delayed the new Tundra to upgrade the interior after seeing the new Silverado and quality controls were lacking.

Good point, the front of the new Tundra reminds me of the F-150 and with good reason, they sell more trucks than anyone and that not likely to change anytime soon, cars are one thing but loyalty to Ford, GM and Dodge trucks run very deep.
Old 12-20-06, 02:01 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

at least it is a truck this year and not a car with an open bed..
Old 12-20-06, 04:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo

You basically hit the nail on the had. Toyota delayed too long in getting a real full-size truck into the American market. They have had 12 or 13 years since the first T-100 in 1994, and, until this year, simply would not market a true full-sizer. Since 1994, Toyota has marketed mid-size trucks with mid-size engines and, in their advertising, has CALLED them full-size. The Tundra introduced V8's, but still in a mid-sized frame. Well, people weren't fooled......especially the fiercely loyal F-150 and Silverado owners. Nissan, to their credit, did it right the first time, size-wise, with the Titan, but that truck's poor quality control and reputation for unrelibility kept it from making major inroads into the full-size pickup market. Now, ( finally ) we have a TRUE full-size Toyota....and we'll see how it does. I will look at the new Tundra at the D.C. auto show next month and plan a review on it.

Anyhow, back to the new Silverado...the thread topic. Based on the reviews I have done on the new Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Denali ( both vehicles are on the same frame and platform ) , I can say that the new Silverado's looks, interior, road manners, fit-and-finish, refinement and general level of quality control will probably be a noticeable improvement from its predecessor, but brakes will be a question mark. And it will be interesting to see the new hybrid...if GM offers one. The last Silverado " Hybrid ", by hybrid standards, was a joke......all it consisted of was basically a stop-engine cutoff when the vehicle came to a stop.
Old 12-20-06, 08:55 AM
Milla...

Now that is one handsome truck. This is why I always like full size american trucks, they look like, well, trucks and not cars in their design cues. I can't say the same for any of the Toyota trucks.