Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Solstice rules the 2-seater roost (Currently Outselling Miata in 2006)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Exclamation Solstice rules the 2-seater roost (Currently Outselling Miata in 2006)

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/p...11012

Quote »

For the first time since it debuted in late 1989, Mazda's MX-5 Miata is not America's favorite budget two-seat sports car.

That honor now belongs to the Pontiac Solstice.

Heading into the final weeks of the year, the swoopy $20,000 Pontiac sports car has a commanding sales lead over the venerable Miata. And there are no asterisks, either: Both cars came out in 2005, so this is their first full year of head-to-head competition.

Through November, Pontiac sold 18,361 Solstices, compared with 15,873 Miatas. Pontiac padded its lead in November, chalking up sales of 1,305, compared with just 995 Miatas.

This race could be even more interesting next year. Expect greater avai

Old 12-14-06, 08:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about the Saturn Sky?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 12-14-06 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 08:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to see GM make something that people actually want to buy. It's an attractive package at a fair price. Personally, I still wouldn't buy anything with the "Ecotec" GM 4 cylinder timebomb under the hood, but...
Old 12-14-06, 08:06 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I read edmunds on this car the other day and they didnt like it too much.
Old 12-14-06, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A friend of mine bought one a few months ago...I reserved the car for him, went with him, and helped set the deal up. Here's a repost of my review of the car it you want it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ntiac+solstice

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
How about the Saturn Aura?
No...you mean the Saturn Sky. The Aura is a mid-sized sedan built on the Pontiac G6-Chevy Malibu-Opel Vectra platform. ( Did a review of the Aura, too but I won't repost it because it is irrevelant )

I don't have any firm numbers on the Sky, but just from casual observation, it does not seem to be selling quite as well as the Solstice. The Solstice is cheaper to start with....( and doesn't come with as much standard equipment as the Sky ).....but with options and many dealer mark-ups ( fortunately, the Solstice we bought was at list...it was a nice dealership ) the Solstice can sometimes be more expensive than the Sky, even though the Sky sells at list per Saturn policy ( with some dealer-added accessories ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-06 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 08:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No...you mean the Saturn Sky.
Thanks for clarification, Mr. Automobile!!!
Old 12-14-06, 08:46 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose congratulations are in order to Pontiac... I wonder how many of these sales were to fleets (rental car companies).

I have no idea how anyone could drive the Solstice with its' rock-cruncher engine (as much fun to rev as a garbage disposal, and sounds about the same), plasticky interior and underdamped rear suspension and still buy one over the Miata, but if they can sell 'em then its' good for the General.

Funny, I just never see Solstices on the road here in southern CA...
I'd be interested to see where they're being sold!
Old 12-14-06, 08:56 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I've actually seen quite a few of these cars in or around business areas. They actually look pretty nice
Old 12-14-06, 09:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I sat in that car for the first time last week. Very difficult for one over six feet to get into. Once inside, I have to say the interior is well done Love the chrome shift gate and overall package. Feels real European.
Old 12-14-06, 09:32 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I suppose congratulations are in order to Pontiac... I wonder how many of these sales were to fleets (rental car companies).

I have no idea how anyone could drive the Solstice with its' rock-cruncher engine (as much fun to rev as a garbage disposal, and sounds about the same), plasticky interior and underdamped rear suspension and still buy one over the Miata, but if they can sell 'em then its' good for the General.

Funny, I just never see Solstices on the road here in southern CA...
I'd be interested to see where they're being sold!
Same here socalsc4. I have only seen 1 solstice and 1 saturn sky to this day Where are they being sold b/c I see lots of them on the dealer lot also?

B/t the 2, I'll take the saturn
Old 12-14-06, 09:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Me too !!
The Saturn Sky looks WAY better than the Solstice, the Solstice looks too much like a rodent . . .
Old 12-14-06, 09:43 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a couple Saturn Skys on the road and it is a MUCH better looking car than both the Solstice and Miata. Poor Mazda had it good all these years.

If I were in the market for a roadster, the Sky would be at the top of the list purely on styling along....and I'm a previous Miata owner. Go GM.
Old 12-14-06, 09:43 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Me too !!
The Saturn Sky looks WAY better than the Solstice, the Solstice looks too much like a rodent . . .
Yep, and best quote ever

Originally Posted by JessePS
Pontiac reminds me of a chipmunk LOL
Old 12-14-06, 11:12 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Same here socalsc4. I have only seen 1 solstice and 1 saturn sky to this day Where are they being sold b/c I see lots of them on the dealer lot also?

You don't see them on the road in So Cal but see them on dealer lots because all of So Cal Pontiac dealers are charging ridiculous markups. So they sit and collect dust.

My favorite is at Saturn of the Valley in North Hills LA the Sky Redline is selling for $38k.

They are being sold in the midwest. It drove nice on the track in Vegas and I've been trying to get one for over a year, my patience is about over though with these stupid markups so I'll prob get a 350Z or an S2000.

Quick Reply: Solstice rules the 2-seater roost (Currently Outselling Miata in 2006)