Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Alfa Romeo return to the U.S.?
Yes
41.51%
No
35.85%
Only after a test run for initial sales.
9.43%
Only with certain vehicles.
13.21%
Only in the most Alfa-friendly areas of the country.
0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How many of you would consider an Alfa Romeo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Poll: How many of you would consider an Alfa Romeo?

http://www.alfaromeo.com/cgi-bin/pbr...cejgdfiidgnj.0

There have been many rumors of Alfa's return to the U.S. market since the company last pulled out after the 1994 model year due to low sales ( less than 5000 vehicles ) and increasing safety and emissions regulations which, at the time, were not cost effective, and the company just did not want to fool with them anymore.

While I don't have anything concrete to post about an imminent Alfa return ( and the company keeps saying one thing one day and something else the next ), given the stigma often attached to the low reliability of Italian cars, ( including Alfas ) and, just as much, their reputation for some beautiful-looking designs as well, how do you guys at CL feel about them coming back? Which models would you like to see here, if at all? Would you consider buying or leasing one?

I've included the Alfa website for Britain because it is printed in English, ( Alfa does not currently have an American web site ) and for most of you it would be the easiest one to read. The website gives an overview of Alfa vehicles currently in production so you can browse through them.
Old 12-09-06, 01:07 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would ever consider one. There are just TOO many
appealing options at a very reasonable price in the US auto market.

IMHO, unless they have something spectacular at a price people
can't refuse they should save their energy and stay home.
Old 12-09-06, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
IMHO, unless they have something spectacular at a price people
can't refuse they should save their energy and stay home.
Their styling may not be spectacular per se, but Alfas have always been known for their looks...especially the distictive grilles.
Old 12-09-06, 06:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Well I would definitely have to do my homework first, and I wouldnt be one of the first few buyers either. They'll be starting fresh again here (new dealerships have to be built or upgraded if they plan to sell them through the Ferrari/ Maserati dealers). Who knows if the buying public will take them seriously(Im to young to remember much about them, but I hear they werent that bad). I do like the way most of them look though. Unique and sleek looking cars.
Old 12-10-06, 04:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/09/m...izione-photos/
Old 12-10-06, 06:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Bond

Alfa Romeo once produced the only affordable true Italian sports cars available in the US. The Guilia and the Guilietta Spyders of the '50's and early '60's were lovely examples of the coachbuilder's art. The later 1600 Spyder Duettos (of "The Graduate" fame) were more modern interpretations by Pininfarina, and the later Veloce with a larger 2000cc engine and a Kamm (cut off) tail section remain classics, even nearly forty years later.

Italian sportscars are often compared to having a mistress - lithe, beautiful, spectacular in bed, but tempestuous and totally unfaithful. Nice to think about, but after a brief fling, you wisely married someone else. Competing in the upscale sports segment, somewhere between the Austin-Healey and the Jaguar XKE, the Alfa offered a lightweight, classic Italian approach to performance, with an enviable racing heritage. If you liked the scent of wood and leather with your Castrol, and names like Nardi and Weber defined motorsport, this was your car.

Would I buy one? I'm older now, probably a bit more concerned with practicality and comfort than I once was. I've come to expect the engine to actually start when I turn the key, and tops to exclude wind and rain, not channel them into my lap. I've given over a lot of that wind-in-the-face, double-clutch downshift, stringback glove driving to the comforts of air conditioning and automatic transmissions - but still . . . a winding two-lane, the yowl of an open exhaust, down through the gears, setting up a classic drift, clipping the apex just so, accelerating hard with a bit of opposite lock . . . a brisk drive on a soft spring morning . . . yeah, it still calls . . . probably always will.

Yes, if I were to move out of the city and select a "weekend car" purely for entertainment, a red (Is there any other color for an Italian sportscar?) Alfa Spider or 8C would be near the top of my list. Somewhere, deep in our cultural DNA, the Alfa and I still share a bond, an understanding of automotive enthusiasm.
Old 12-10-06, 08:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

We have them in Mexico for a few years. First as a grey market and now there are distributors. I have driven the 147, 156 and 166 and they aren't bad cars, but they are expensive for what you get (not much more than design) and the most recent chance that I drove a 2 year old 147, the shifts were very hard. As far as parts and service, muy caro or very expensive as we say here, so I would prefer they do some extended testing first.
Old 12-10-06, 10:57 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It never hurts for consumers to have a wider selection of cars in this free market.

On the other side of this planet, car manufacturers such as Alfa, Lancia, Peugeot, Citron, Skoda, Rover, etc. have enjoyed success that's much greater than some carmakers experienced here in the States.

Granted, different areas of the world have different needs. For example, from the way things appear to be nowadays, Americans can never live without the SUVs, large pick ups, and cars that won't fit 20+ inch rims. This is not necessarily true with the rest of the world. A very good example is the exclusivity of the Chevy Silverado pick up in some Asian countries. I recently saw one in Taiwan with 22+ inch rims fetching for more than $100k U.S. dollars.

Not withstanding different preferences based on culture, economy, and the market itself, I think it would be a very good idea to have a wider mixture of selections out there. The U.S. does have a very tough standard for automobile makers to meet. But this would in turn, force these manufacturers to raise the bar in terms of their product qualities.

I am glad someone here still remembers these attractive alternatives nowadays.

Jon
Old 12-10-06, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
in the States.

Granted, different areas of the world have different needs. For example, from the way things appear to be nowadays, Americans can never live without the SUVs, large pick ups, and cars that won't fit 20+ inch rims. This is not necessarily true with the rest of the world. A very good example is the exclusivity of the Chevy Silverado pick up in some Asian countries. I recently saw one in Taiwan with 22+ inch rims fetching for more than $100k U.S. dollars.
I wonder, though, even with knock sensors and spark retarders, if American-spec engines will run on the garbage fuel sold in some countries.....I'm not sure if Taiwan is one of them.
Old 12-10-06, 06:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wonder, though, even with knock sensors and spark retarders, if American-spec engines will run on the garbage fuel sold in some countries.....I'm not sure if Taiwan is one of them.
We have garbage gas down here (the regular 87 octane here is, but the Premium 92 just got light years better) and it has destroyed my precats in my RX300 when I had to use the regular once in the boonies. My Mexican uncle makes a small business out of importing used vehicles from the U.S., and he always seems to have an issue with some sensor or other going bust due to running on the higher sulfur fuel here (not to mention what other crud could get into it).
Old 12-10-06, 06:18 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I think so.

I am not an expert in oil grades but from my observations, it seems to be the norm that 95 unleaded fuel is being sold at most of gas stations there.

Jon

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Old 12-10-06, 10:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not as a primary car. Alfas are really stylish IMO but there are other vehicles that serve better as DDs. I'd take one as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle but depends how they're equipped and priced in NA.
Old 12-11-06, 12:38 PM
LexFather

While beautiful, every review for the most part of ALpha in Europe is the same:
Beautiful to look at, average overall at best.

That won't win my money. I also would need to see how quality is at first.

I think the Brera looks great!!!

Old 12-11-06, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, Alfa stylists DO know how to shape sheet metal.

Those wheels, though, have too many spokes...they would be a nightmare to clean.
Old 12-11-06, 12:56 PM
LexFather

Quick Reply: Poll: How many of you would consider an Alfa Romeo?