Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tint tickets in California...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 02:32 AM
puredreamz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint tickets in California...

I was wondering since I have gotten one tint ticket already... If I were to have my car tinted again would there be a greater penalty if I got pulled over and was given another tint ticket? I hope the answer is no but please do let me know if the second time around they charge like $300 or more because then it wouldn't be worth it. Thanks.
Old 12-07-06, 08:01 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

I've gotten pulled over a couple times for tint back in MI. I had a friend that was pulled over multiple times. While he just paid the money whenever he got a ticket, I got a doctors note after paying the first time. Then, the second I used that note, which didn't prevent me from a ticket but got me off the hook (they were very reluctant) in court.

Its a PITA, but luckily in the many years I've had tint, I've only been pulled over 3 times at the very beggining. The last time was when I got lost, endedup in the ghetto of Detroit in my yellow IS300 with black windows and got pulled over, searched, car got searched, gf got searched because we were in a drug area. Cops said they pulled me over because of my windows. All said and done, he just pointed us on our way and said not to come back.
Old 12-07-06, 08:21 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i remember correctly, it would be the same amount. It does not escalate, however it is a moving violation that impacts you DMV record and your insurnace. But if you go to traffic school and pay your fine it does not show up, however in the wonderfull republic of Kalifornia you are limited to how many times a year you can got to traffic school.

How much was the original fine for?
Old 12-07-06, 08:24 AM
mattssi
Pole Position

Oh yeah - the whole point of my rant was that the price was the same....

About $130 ish
Old 12-07-06, 09:26 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I just moved to LA 6 months ago from Colorado and it was one of the first things that happened to me. I was going a little fast on Sunset (around the Veteran area) and got pulled over. He didn't give me a ticket for speeding, but he did give me a fix-it ticket for the tinting. I didn't pay $130 though. The ticket itself cost me $15, then I had to send another $10 to the superior court in LA. I took the tinting off myself though (really easy if you have the right tools).

I'm thinking about getting it re-tinted again. Funnily enough, my car came like that from the dealership. In Colorado, the tinting laws are very laxed. I know they exist, but the police doesn't really enforce it. So much so that dealerships will give you a dark tint on some of their cars.
Old 12-07-06, 09:34 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Unless they changed something, once the ticket is signed off, it's just a 10-15 buck fix it ticket. Should not affect your DMV records as a "moving" violation. Otherwise my insurance never went up with the 6 fix its I had... all of course was "Signable". CHP tickets you're screwed.. someone from CHP will step out and verify that the tint is off. If it's the local police, some one will not even waste their time coming out to sign off...just signs it in their office.
Old 12-07-06, 12:12 PM
puredreamz
Rookie

I heard from a traffic school teacher that the law now is that the officer has the option to impound your car after your second tint ticket. Can someone please tell me if thats true. Thanks.
Old 12-07-06, 12:43 PM
MoFlava
Rookie

Originally Posted by puredreamz
I heard from a traffic school teacher that the law now is that the officer has the option to impound your car after your second tint ticket. Can someone please tell me if thats true. Thanks.
That is correct. It is no longer considered a fix-it ticket.

Word of the wise... if you get pulled over in so cal... kiss a lot of a$$.
Knock on wood, i have yet to get pulled over for my tint. Driving in and around OC everyday since my IS was delivered in June.

Ok, i think i just jinx'd myself. :-)
Old 12-07-06, 12:53 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Interesting... Well....Guess I gotta do what I gotta do *drives with windows down 24/7*
Old 12-07-06, 01:05 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Just roll the front ones down when you see a pig
Old 12-07-06, 01:09 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by XtrabOoSt
Just roll the front ones down when you see a pig
Yeah, I always roll it down when I see a Police Officer. Can't risk it! Even my Mom watches out for me.
Old 12-07-06, 05:02 PM
Soda
Pole Position

That's crazy!! I have 35% tint all the way around so you can actually see through my windows. That is stupid to be able to tow your car! I've gotten one tint ticket bout 6yrs ago here and none since.
Old 12-07-06, 07:40 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
Yeah, I always roll it down when I see a Police Officer. Can't risk it! Even my Mom watches out for me.
ok so how you gonna roll down your windshield? hahah
Old 12-07-06, 08:21 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
ok so how you gonna roll down your windshield? hahah
HAHA! It's a secret. I just hope they can see into it. It's fairly light. har har
Old 12-07-06, 08:55 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

shame on you pocky. i thought you were a law-abiding citizen? tisk, tisk...
/joking

ok, seriously now, i've been thinking about tinting my windows too. so Pocky, where'd you go to get'em done?

Quick Reply: Tint tickets in California...