Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hitler's race car to be auctioned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 06:23 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitler's race car to be auctioned off

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/04/...ion/index.html

Hitler race car could fetch $12 million

A rare 1939 German sports car commissioned by Adolph Hitler is expected to command the highest price ever paid for any automobile at auction, according to Christie's, which will conduct the auction in Paris in February 2007.

The car, one of five remaining "Auto Union D-Types," is expected to sell for more than $12 million, said Rupert Banner, head of Christie's motor cars department.

In 1933, after becoming Chancellor of Germany, Hitler offered 500,000 reichmark for a company to design a race car to show off the nation's technological prowess. Originally, Mercedes-Benz got the nod. But Ferdinand Porsche, then an engineer with Auto Union, which today is known as Audi, was able to secure the financing to build a revolutionary car he had designed.

That car was modified over the next few years to become the 1939 Auto Union D-Type.

The D-type had a number of features that were extremely advanced for its day, including an engine mounted behind the driver and four-wheel independent suspension. Its twin-supercharged 3-liter V12 engine can produce 485 horsepower, giving the car a top speed of 185 miles per hour.

In many ways, the D-type offered a glimpse into what would become the future of racing. It's fundamentally very similar to Formula 1 and Indy race cars of today. "It's the same as a modern day race car, just without fins," said Banner.

One thing it doesn't have, of course, is modern safety technology. Race cars in those days didn't even have seatbelts. It was seen as preferable to be thrown from the car in a crash. One safety advance the D-type did have was a removable steering wheel, allowing the driver to be more easily removed in the event of a fire

Gallery: History of the Microcar

D-type cars won several Grand Prix races throughout Europe. Two days after Germany invaded Poland, the same day that Great Britain declared war on Germany, the car Christie's will be auctioning won a Grand Prix race in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, Banner said. It was the last race held in Europe until after the war. "This was a legendary period in racing," Banner said of the pre-war years.

A number of D-type cars were lost or destroyed after World War II, according to Christie's. The car that will be sold in Paris was taken to Russia after the war, where it was disassembled to study its technology.

The car was re-discovered in Ukraine in the late 1980s. It was still in pieces, but was otherwise undamaged. Another car discovered nearby had had its chassis sawed in half, Banner said.

The current record for a car sold at auction, according to Christie's, is £5.5 million, or almost $11 million. That was paid for a 1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Sports Coupe sold by Christie's in 1987.

As for the connection to Hitler, "It's not something people really want to be associated with," Banner said. But the car's value rests on its technological importance, Banner said.

Ian Kelleher, managing director of RM Auctions, a competing auction firm that specializes in classic cars, agreed that the Auto Union D-type is extremely valuable, but felt that it might not go for as much as Christie's was expecting.

The market for single-seat race cars is simply very limited, Kelleher said.

"You can't drive the Auto Union anywhere but on a track, and it's a lonely way to spend $10 million," he said, referring to the low-end estimates of the car's value.

The D-type will be sold as part of Christie's "Retromobile" auction of antique cars.

Ferdinand Porsche also designed another car for Hitler, but for a very different purpose. That car, inspired by the success of the inexpensive Ford Model T in the United States, ultimately became known as the Volkswagen Beetle. It also had a rear-mounted engine as do today's Porsche sports cars.
Old 12-05-06, 06:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is why I will never buy a german car. Audi/Porsche/VW were kissing hitlers behind, BMW and MB using slave labor, BMW built **** ss motorcycles, MB built all kinds of cars for hitler. It's just disgusting.
Old 12-05-06, 06:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

four-wheel independent suspension, twin-supercharged 3-liter V12 engine can produce 485 horsepower, giving the car a top speed of 185 miles per hour.
...........in 1939
Old 12-05-06, 06:52 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

And Toyota was a mar machine
Old 12-05-06, 07:02 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDM
And Toyota was a mar machine
Don't you mean Mitsubishi? They built the Japanese Zero Fighters. . . I thought Toyota was always a car company, starting with the early Toyotpets. . . but maybe my history is off.

Funny thing about Mitsu is that they are pretty much owned by Daimler Chrysler. . .
Maybe if they pick up an Italian company like Fiat or Ferrari. . . then it would be the Axis powers, united again.
Old 12-05-06, 07:06 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/04/...ion/index.html

Hitler race car could fetch $12 million

dang..... for a "HITLER" car...
Old 12-05-06, 07:07 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toyota built the land cruisers /FJ like the Jeep *****'s in america. there are tons of them in the philippines. I remember when my dad bought one and it had bullet holes on the side.
Old 12-05-06, 07:12 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I guess we can safely say that Ferdinand was a bit of a forward-thinker?? DAMN.

If the current owner of this vehicle had morals, they would either donate this car to a museum or sell it and make a huge donation to a Holocaust Museum.
Old 12-05-06, 07:47 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I don't think it is fair to say that just because Hitler funded the R&D of the car that no person should buy it. The new owner might want it just as a showcase of what the Germans were capable of back in the 1930's. I for one could care less that Hitler owned it. I would treasure it on engineering marvel alone.
Old 12-05-06, 09:32 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I don't think it is fair to say that just because Hitler funded the R&D of the car that no person should buy it. The new owner might want it just as a showcase of what the Germans were capable of back in the 1930's. I for one could care less that Hitler owned it. I would treasure it on engineering marvel alone.
You couldn't care less.

Honestly, you can't blame a car company for anything it's done in the past. Yes they've made terrible decisions but it's not like they are currently building cars for terrorists. Anyone that had to do with the company that long ago probably doesn't have anything to do with it now.
Old 12-05-06, 10:03 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
You couldn't care less.

Honestly, you can't blame a car company for anything it's done in the past. Yes they've made terrible decisions but it's not like they are currently building cars for terrorists. Anyone that had to do with the company that long ago probably doesn't have anything to do with it now.

I guess it's like IBM and their prominence during the Holocoaust, banks in Aparthied South Africa or various insurance companies and their role during Slavery in the U.S. Profits from past activities of corporations do play a role in their stance in present day society (as much as we would like to forget).

The technology alone in that Hitler car is amazing. Combine that with the historical aspect of the car and the price is "justified". Hopefully something positive will be done with the sale of that car. There is a lot of history attached to that car no matter how horrific its origins are.
Old 12-05-06, 11:27 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
This is why I will never buy a german car. Audi/Porsche/VW were kissing hitlers behind, BMW and MB using slave labor, BMW built **** ss motorcycles, MB built all kinds of cars for hitler. It's just disgusting.
Yeah and the Japanese were just absolute angels and so were their companies.....please.... don't be an ignoramous. I know Chinese people who refuse to buy Japanese because of the Asian Holocaust and I know Old WW2 vets who refuse to buy Japanese because of the war crimes that the Japanese committed to their friends in POW camps etc.... Just realize we have to remember to never make the same mistakes but also not dwell on them. Leave the past in the past but learn from the past.
Old 12-06-06, 05:33 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Hard to follow the logic that b/c Hitler/**** Germany than the current German cars or German people are some way to still be punished. This was 60 years ago, next ppl will be saying US companies/individuals had slaves 140 years ago so they should be punished (etc..)
Old 12-06-06, 06:30 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Och's on a personal crusade to let everyone know how much he hates Germans, so as always... Don't feed the trolls.
Old 12-06-06, 11:24 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rai
Hard to follow the logic that b/c Hitler/**** Germany than the current German cars or German people are some way to still be punished. This was 60 years ago, next ppl will be saying US companies/individuals had slaves 140 years ago so they should be punished (etc..)
Exactly. Hitler wasn't even a German.

Quick Reply: Hitler's race car to be auctioned off