Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New guy with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 07:37 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with questions.

Hello everyone im currently the proud owner of a modded SRT-4.my current situation is forcing me to sell it I’ve now got 3 kids and no room left in the car .So im going to be in the market for a car with more room i know ill loose performance buy going to something larger with not as much HP but its about that time to try and be responsible .My question here is what would be the best Lexus suited for a guy with 3 little ones but not loosing to much performance? Cause as soon as i sell the SRT ill be in the market for a Lexus.
Old 12-05-06, 07:51 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boltz
Hello everyone im currently the proud owner of a modded SRT-4.my current situation is forcing me to sell it I’ve now got 3 kids and no room left in the car .So im going to be in the market for a car with more room i know ill loose performance buy going to something larger with not as much HP but its about that time to try and be responsible .My question here is what would be the best Lexus suited for a guy with 3 little ones but not loosing to much performance? Cause as soon as i sell the SRT ill be in the market for a Lexus.
Well, as an owner of an ES350 I can say that this car has plenty of zip and room for the youngsters, all at a reasonable price. I can't speak to the older models, but if you want to stay with Lexus the choices are fairly narrow due to space. One of the SUVs might do, but then you'd be even further removed from your SRT-4's sportiness.
Old 12-05-06, 08:13 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

Im trying to stay away from a suv just a nice big 4 door is kinda where im leaning to..Im not out for a brand new one just a noce used one.How about up keep is it expensive to work on.
Old 12-05-06, 08:18 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Well, as an owner of an ES350 I can say that this car has plenty of zip and room for the youngsters,
Depends on whether those youngsters are in child seats. We own an ES330, which has a wider rear seat than the ES350, and we fit 3 kids (2 in boosters, 1 in a regular child seat), and they just... barely... fit. If you have more than one in a regular child seat, the only Lexus that's going to work is the LS. Maybe the GX.
Old 12-05-06, 08:57 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1 year old a 2 year old and a 6 year old and we will soon be going to a larger seat for the 1 year old and thats where my problems start
Old 12-05-06, 09:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I have a 1 year old a 2 year old and a 6 year old and we will soon be going to a larger seat for the 1 year old and thats where my problems start
The ES isn't going to work for you. You might consider the Avalon, or a minivan of some sort. Or something like the GX/4Runner.
Old 12-05-06, 09:42 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

I would rather shoot myself than get a mini van The 6 year old dosent use a car seat he is at the weight limit so we only really need to fit two in it..
Old 12-05-06, 09:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally think the ES is a fine car for your situation. It'll hold in for years until your kids grow older. Other than that, There are other options such as a used GS or LS. The question remains, what kind of price budget are you working with?
Old 12-05-06, 09:56 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We had three car seats in the back of our '85 Camry for years. There was plenty of room for the munchkins, and the ES is a larger car.

But for older kids you'll want space to spread them out, especially if you take long trips to grandma's. For that, nothing beats the dreaded minivan.
Old 12-05-06, 09:59 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

Im looking to spend about $16000.00 thats why im looking used.I could spend more if the car really grabs me
Old 12-05-06, 10:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Perhaps a used GS400? That way, it's not so much of a downgrade in speed from your current SRT-4
Old 12-05-06, 10:03 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

My wife has a mpv mini van and likes it so for reallll long trips we use it..I on the other hand cant stand the thing so i try to avoid driving it as much as i can.I wonder if i cant just stick the 6 year old in my trunk!! j/k.
Old 12-05-06, 10:13 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No brainer!!!! GS400. Pick one up for $12k-$14k and throw on a supercharger. Done deal, SRT-4 killer!
Old 12-05-06, 10:26 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dreyfus
We had three car seats in the back of our '85 Camry for years. There was plenty of room for the munchkins, and the ES is a larger car.
Is it? Our ES330 is bigger than the ES350, and 3 child seat did not fit in the back seat. I'd be surprised if the 85 Camry was bigger than the current generation(s) Camry/ES. But you never know.

I would rather shoot myself than get a mini van The 6 year old dosent use a car seat he is at the weight limit so we only really need to fit two in it..
(I hate to lecture, but...)
Unless your 6 year old is a monster, he needs to at least be using a booster so that the seat belt is properly positioned. His safety should be your primary concern.

In any case, take your kids with you when you look at cars, and make sure everything fits correctly.
Old 12-05-06, 11:21 AM
boltz
Driver School Candidate

My 6 year old is 64lbs and like 4 foot somting lol!! but im 6'3 and 270 so I think he gets it from me.

Quick Reply: New guy with questions.