Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Special Review: 2007 Lexus LS460

Old 12-03-06, 03:48 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
looking at how Lexus is selling them with the option packages, the LS is now just as expensive as the Germans in most cases, until the $100,000 mark.
not sure I agree, the base S-class starts at $87K

True the base 7-series $75K and A8 just under $70K

I did not study all the details of what is standard and what is option, but it seems like the LS is cheaper, if it does cost as much with options than it may be due to extra features.
Old 12-03-06, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn, now I need to go the dealer and try out that ML system you keep talking about!
Take Angus and Co. with you.
http://www.google.com/musica?aid=Bq1...music&ct=image

I can't think of a better treat for a ML unit.
Old 12-03-06, 03:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LS really is amazing, even if some of the big media reviewers don't see that (dull? gee level that against other flagships!). Yes it is not perfect, but the review in this thread sums up a general point which I agree with--the positives are so many, they outweigh the few shortcomings.

I'm hoping that the new LS customers appreciate that as well, and enjoy their cars. And I'm expecting that a good number of cross-shoppers will notice that as well. This new LS is a significant leap ahead for Lexus, and I can only expect that the coming years will build on the innovations and success--continuing improvement.
Old 12-03-06, 03:53 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point, SICK. Option packages for the LS are not cheap....some of them run as high as 10-11K.
Its funny how a car like the Fit costs ~$14K, just funny to see some of these option packs add almost as much to the price of a car.
Old 12-03-06, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
The LS really is amazing, even if some of the big media reviewers don't see that (dull? gee level that against other flagships!). Yes it is not perfect, but the review in this thread sums up a general point which I agree with--the positives are so many, they outweigh the few shortcomings.

I'm hoping that the new LS customers appreciate that as well, and enjoy their cars. And I'm expecting that a good number of cross-shoppers will notice that as well. This new LS is a significant leap ahead for Lexus, and I can only expect that the coming years will build on the innovations and success--continuing improvement.
Thanks, enigma. Though once in a while I do a review for my own curiosity, but most of the time it is done solely for you guys, for others to help them decide how to spend their hard-earned automotive dollars, and what kind of vehicle they will get for those dollars.
Old 12-03-06, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888

Thanks, enigma. Though once in a while I do a review for my own curiosity, most of the time it is done solely for you guys, for others to help them decide how to spend their hard-earned automotive dollars, and what kind of vehicle they will get for those dollars.
Old 12-03-06, 04:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rai
Its funny how a car like the Fit costs ~$14K, just funny to see some of these option packs add almost as much to the price of a car.
Lol, that tickles me too, that option packages cost more than entire cars!

Wow, S550 total price!
All illustrations and specifications contained in this Web site are based on the latest product information available at the time of posting. Your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will verify specifications and determine final pricing and availability.
M.S.R.P.* $86,525
Exterior Color (Metallic paints are standard for this model.)
designo Graphite1 $0
Interior Color
designo Corteccia Nappa Leather $0
Wood Trims
designo Matte Oak Wood Trim $0
Options
Active Body Control (ABC) $3,900
Distronic PLUS $2,850
iPod Integration Kit $425
Panorama Sunroof $1,000
Power Side Window Sunblinds $700
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel $550
19" Multispoke Wheel, Sterling Silver Finish $1,200
Dynamic Rear View Monitor $750
Drive-Dynamic Multicontour Front Seats with 4-Stage Massage Function $1,800
Electronic Trunk Closer $500
Packages
designo Graphite Edition $11,120
Accessories
Hands-Free Communication System MHI Bluetooth Interface Module $350
Gas Guzzler Tax $1,000
Total $112,670

Finance & Leasing
The monthly finance and lease payments shown are estimates only. They are based on the variables you have entered, on the estimated pricing for the packages, options and accessories you have selected, and on Mercedes-Benz Financial's current finance and lease programs. Lease and finance calculator pricing does not reflect special and limited time programs that may be available on selected models. Please contact your Mercedes-Benz Dealer for details.

Finance (monthly payment) $2,010
Lease (monthly payment) $1,975

Old 12-03-06, 04:39 PM
LexFather

The base S600 costs $140,000!
760 starts at $121,000!
A8 W-12 at $119,350

Old 12-03-06, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, you guys know what the Fit's most expensive " Option " package is don't you?

Yes....the inevitable AMV ( Adjusted Market Value ) second sticker that Honda dealers are ripping the public off with. Demand for this car currently far outstrips supply, and Honda stealerships are taking full advantage of it. The Fit Sport I reviewed a few months ago ( I had to wait a whole month for an available one just to test-drive ) was a $15,000-$16,000 car marked up to over $19,000 by the second sticker...and that was for a manual-transmission model that even had ( rare for Honda ) a defect underhood next to the release catch that gave me a nasty finger cut.

19K for a 100 HP manual-tranny entry-level econonbox? I sure wouldn't pay that....but people are doing it.
Old 12-03-06, 05:10 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Well, you guys know what the Fit's most expensive " Option " package is don't you?

19K for a 100 HP manual-tranny entry-level econonbox? I sure wouldn't pay that....but people are doing it.
I can buy an Accord SE for $19K.. (thats the SE) no one in their right mind would pay that much for a Fit (IMO).
Old 12-03-06, 05:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rai
I can buy an Accord SE for $19K.. (thats the SE) no one in their right mind would pay that much for a Fit (IMO).
Yes they will. It is my badge***** theory, people seem more than any other non luxury brand buy Hondas no matter how overpriced, underpowered and no matter how badly it got beat with the ugly stick. To Honda's credit, they have an image and it just draws people to them.

Old 12-03-06, 05:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd buy the base Fit and slap in a K24 engine with the K20 cylinder head
Old 12-03-06, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'd buy the base Fit and slap in a K24 engine with the K20 cylinder head

Old 12-03-06, 05:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My All-Time-Best awards, which this car received one of, are not given out casually or carelessly.
I'm hoping that was just a figure of speech, and that you don't really take yourself and your 'car reviews' so seriously as to have your own officially titled "All Time Best" award that you hand out to cars in your own mind.
Old 12-03-06, 06:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh come on, his reviews are a CL tradition...considering that he goes out of his way to test drive these cars specifically for his reviews online, he certainly has a right to create an "All-Time-Best" category. It's a distinction based on his reviews, not necessarily a tangible thing you give out.

But I think we all have 'all time bests' - like the best vacations we've ever been on, best restaurants we've ever visited, etc. "All Time Best" is a common category for the discerning reviewer, amateur or professional, in my view.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Special Review: 2007 Lexus LS460