Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 02:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Acura RL

Looking at new 2006/2007, they seem super nice. Any opinions on this vehicle?
Old 12-02-06, 03:29 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why pay another 15 grand for a larger TL. Even the sweet SH-AWD system isn't worth it. Get a TL and go buy an SC300/400 with that money you saved.
Old 12-02-06, 03:30 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

WE considered the RL while we were shopping for a new car, but after looking at the Toyota Avalon and Audi A6, we couldn't justify spending over $40k on the RL or A6 when the Toyota Avalon (we worked with toyota and picked it up for $31k, XLS. The Avalon Limited would have been $2k more and only included HID and Navigation upgrades) has almost all the same features for 10k+ less than the A6 (Dealer was willing to go $41k and no less) and $18k less than the RL (Acura wanted 48k or so for the RL with Technology Package) . The RL is VERY nice though, the RL HID are my favorite ever, and the interior is very nicely done. The car lacks a little power though for the cost of it. Although I will admit, the RL is a much better looking car from the exterior than the Avalon. But that's a matter for preference. For us, the difference in looks did not justify the difference in cost.

Last edited by np20412; 12-02-06 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 05:59 PM
LexFather

SEARCH, we have beat up this topic.
1. MMarshall likes the RL
2. Most of us here would not buy the RL over the GS or maybe even the IS/TL even though they are a class lower.
3. Really no one is buying the RL as its been a sales failure again for Acura. It is very common to buy them for 7-8k under MSRP.

Good car (really nothing wrong with it at all) but in this crowded market, good doesn't quite do it.

Old 12-02-06, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SEARCH,
MMarshall likes the RL

Yes, I have a very high opinion of it, though I admit that not everyone on CL does.

Here's my review of the car last winter, Max707, if you want to see it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+2006+acura+rl
Old 12-02-06, 06:59 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RL is a nice car. My uncle has one.
I'd buy it if had the $$
But then again.....I'd buy the is350 first
Old 12-02-06, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I have a very high opinion of it, though I admit that not everyone on CL does.
Well I'm in your camp mmarshall. I think the RL is excellent. The 2nd gen GS was noted for great packaging, unlike the 3rd gen, and I think that award moved to the RL which isn't huge from the outside but plenty big enough inside. The SH-AWD is about the best system around. The V6 could be a bit more powerful if you like low end torque, but in 99% of driving it's plenty. Great voice recognition and full surround audio outdo the GS too. The rims are too boring for an otherwise elegant exterior. I particularly like the tail lights.

Lexus sells twice as many 3rd gen GS's as Acura does RLs so deals on the RL should be easy to come by. I think RL sales are also hurt by Infiniti M class, and yes, Avalon and the very popular ES350. And on 'image' more people would think Lexus is a higher prestige brand than Acura.

But I still like the RL and would take it over a GS350.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-02-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-02-06, 07:38 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I just think it is the best looking sedan made. Everytime I see one it just looks great from every angle. The all wheel drive is also a big benefit in climates where you have a lot of bad weather. The downside, it doesn't carry the chic that a Lexus/Mercedes/BMW has. When I stopped to look at a new 2006 they said they would go $5K off MSRP before we even talked about me buying the car ($49K minus $5K equals $44K) I understand from some threads on edmunds that the normal deal on a new 2006, now is around $41K, also the dealership gives you a 7 year 100K mile power train warranty and free oil/filter changes for as long as you own the car. What blew me away was all of the gadgets, WOW, I would need to study this thing for a month to use half of the stuff
Old 12-02-06, 07:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

But I still like the RL and would take it over a GS350.
We are gonna have to debate that one over Guinness next weekend.

Old 12-02-06, 08:11 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
why pay another 15 grand for a larger TL. Even the sweet SH-AWD system isn't worth it. Get a TL and go buy an SC300/400 with that money you saved.
The RL is really the best car in its class. To bad it just doesn't sell as well as others. We got our 2006 for 40,9k and we love it. Smooth, quiet, AWD, fully loaded without TECH. It is not a larger TL. That is for sure. I own a TL and the RL is worlds better.
Old 12-02-06, 08:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The RL is an excellant car. It has one of the best interiors in its class and even above its class. It's biggest downside is that it only come one way v-6 SH-AWD and loaded while other models in its class can be had with different engines and different drive configurations as well as options. For some it is nice that it comes loaded so you won't have to feel that there are better equipted RLs then yours and you won't have to pay a bunch of extra money for options that you may end up not needing. You can get a base v-6 GS or M for less then the RL but option them out similiarly and they will be more expensive yet still not have as advanced AWD system or as much horsepower and in my opinion will not have as nice of a interior.

I test drove the new GS, M, and RL and felt the RL was the best overall package. I liked the RL more then my GS430 although it did not have the thrust of the v-8. I was satisfied with the horsepower and acceleration of the RL just don't expect 300hp in a fairly heavy v-6 sedan with AWD to push you back like a lighter rwd v-8. I have not read a bad reaview on the RL from any major auto magazines. I think it is a good looking car too although the rims style is not that great and could use more options. The RL looks do not blow you away but it has a elegant agressive look, the interior does blow you away and is its best feature.

The RL may not be selling as good as the GS but I see plenty of them up here in Delaware, more so then GSs and Ms. I think it is not selling as well because of a combination of things like only coming one way without options on powertrains drivetrains, last RL being pretty lackluster and not selling well, TL looking like a good deal when comparing feature for feature even though the RL has alot going for it, and not everyone liking the styling. It is still a great car and I think you will be happy with your choice if you get one. I came very close to getting one but did not want to spend over 40K on my car.