Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Car & Driver 10Best Winners

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 05:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2007 Car & Driver 10Best Winners

The usual suspects...

BMW 3 series
Chevrolet Corvette
Chrysler 300
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Infiniti G35 sedan
Mazda MX-5
Mazdaspeed 3
Porsche Boxster and Cayman
Volkswagen GTI
Old 11-25-06, 06:05 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no toyota/lexuses??
Old 11-25-06, 07:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What else is new? The 'can do no wrong' BMW 3 series owns that category and it won't change. The magazines only use the cars for a few days/weeks and they don't have to suffer with the Bimmer's breakdowns once they are a few years old. These kind of rankings are pretty meaningless imo.
Old 11-25-06, 08:22 PM
LexFather

3 series has won 16 years in a row. Acccord 21 out of 25 years. They also put the Boxter and Cayman as one car.

I think its a pretty good list. And honestly, lmao, its not like Toyota/Lexus is hurting NOT being on the list.

Old 11-25-06, 08:33 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I understand 3 series but camry deserves to be there this year. the current honda accord was better than the previous camry but not the new one.
Old 11-25-06, 11:05 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

the Chrysler 300, and G35 have absolutely no place on any top 10 list.
the accord should have been replaced with the camry for 07.
Old 11-25-06, 11:06 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
What else is new? The 'can do no wrong' BMW 3 series owns that category and it won't change. The magazines only use the cars for a few days/weeks and they don't have to suffer with the Bimmer's breakdowns once they are a few years old. These kind of rankings are pretty meaningless imo.
Actually a 330i failed during a comparision test.
Old 11-25-06, 11:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Taking a look at the latest JD Power and Associates "Long Term Quality" study, shows BMW well above the industry average for reliability.

[
Not so, though, with Consumer Reports.....IMO the best source available for auto reliability. The newer 7-series ranks particularly bad.

However, as a whole brand average, BMW is not the worst by a long shot. Mercedes, overall, for example, is much poorer...perhaps the worst-ranking nameplate today.
Old 11-25-06, 11:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
3 series has won 16 years in a row.
I'm not sure the 3-series has actually " won " by itself, per se. We hear a lot of comments on how BMW can do no wrong at Car and Driver ( and I myself have read the magazine for many years ) but C & D also thinks very highly of the Infiniti G35 as a sport sedan, and considers it equal to or better than the 3-series in some ways....notice that it is ( and has been before ) also on the 10 Best List.
Old 11-25-06, 11:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not so, though, with Consumer Reports.....IMO the best source available for auto reliability. The newer 7-series ranks particularly bad.

However, as a whole brand average, BMW is not the worst by a long shot. Mercedes, overall, for example, is much poorer...perhaps the worst-ranking nameplate today.
How could anything be worse than a Rover? MB has them beat for class loser?
Old 11-26-06, 12:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How could anything be worse than a Rover? MB has them beat for class loser?
If you look at the groups of vehicle ratings by class ( the graphs with the red bars pointing right for good reliability and black bars pointing left...pages 13-15 in the New Car Review just issued ) you will notice that, almost without exception, virtually every M-B product that CR has records on is either at THE very bottom of the graph or very close to it.....with reliability even lower than some Land Rover products. Some M-B products have CR reliability ratings 200% or more below the average vehicle in its class.

M-B vehicles, once the standard of the world for quality and reliability as late as the early 1990's, have become a reliability nightmare, at least by the standards of the 21st century.......and IMO are ripping off the public.

Now......that's not so say, by ANY means, that their vehicles don't still have good points.....they DO. Along with Volvo, M-B still builds what is perhaps the best safety-roll cage and frame crash-worthiness on the market. In addition, their cars are loaded with state-of-the-art safety features. If I was going to be in a high-speed accident, I would still rather be in a Volvo or M-B vehicle than anything else. But NOT for dependability as a daily driver.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-06 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-26-06, 12:12 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

JD Power's dependability survey isn't a reliablilty survey.

Scion xA was rated poorly because owner's felt the AC was too weak
H2 was also rated poorly because owner's thought the fuel economy was too low.

CR is only interested in reliability concerns.
Old 11-26-06, 08:11 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I thought the 3-series was a "recommended" car by CR?
Old 11-26-06, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
I thought the 3-series was a "recommended" car by CR?
A CR " recomended " vehicle means that it has done adequately well in CR testing, has at least an average or better CR reliability record.....or reliability forecast, and has done at least fairly well in crash and safety tests. It does not necessarily mean a CR top-pick. Here are many recommended CR vehicles that are not top-pick. The Lincoln Town Car, for example, is on CR's Recommended list, but it is a FAR different vehicle from the 3-series.

However, you are correct that the 3-series has been far more reliable than the 7-series, which has become one of the most unreliable verhicles in ther CR database.
Old 11-26-06, 08:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I mean seriously i think toyota/lexus should win over a Chrysler and volkswagon.. come on..

Quick Reply: 2007 Car & Driver 10Best Winners