Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Goin' Baja: Toyota Rolls Out FJ Cruiser Race Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 08:30 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goin' Baja: Toyota Rolls Out FJ Cruiser Race Truck

Toyota FJ Cruiser Race Truck, piloted by no less than Rod and Ryan Millen, will participate in the Baja 1000 later this month.

Crow five-point quick-release harnesses are among the road-racing additions to the Toyota FJ Cruiser Race Truck.

The production version of the Toyota FJ Cruiser Race Truck, called the TRD Special Edition, goes on sale at dealerships this week.

Date posted: 11-03-2006

TORRANCE, Calif. — The FJ Cruiser Race Truck will make its racing debut at the 38th Baja 1000, November 15-18.

The Race Truck is based on the TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser, which goes on sale at Toyota dealerships this week. The company said only 3,200 of the TRD Special Edition FJ Cruisers will be built.

The Race Truck will be entered in the Mini Stock Class and driven by the father-son team of Rod and Ryan Millen. It features several performance and safety modifications, including a revised suspension and a heavy-duty roll cage.

The truck is outfitted with BFG 16-inch tires on 16-inch black TRD wheels with two onboard spares. Safety features include Crow five-point quick-release racing harnesses and a Fuel Safe Sportsman 22-gallon fuel cell.

The TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser has TRD/Bilstein off-road tuned, red-painted shock absorbers and an all-black paint scheme with a black roof and TRD special-edition badges. A multi-information display includes a compass, an inclinometer and a temperature gauge. The limited-edition package is available on 2007 FJ Cruiser four-wheel-drive models.

What this means to you: The FJ Cruiser continues to get down and dirty.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=117405#2

Last edited by GFerg; 11-03-06 at 11:00 AM. Reason: pictures looked distorted. My eyes!! :)
Old 11-03-06, 08:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... I think it looks a bit overdone, but I'm one of those 'less is more' type guys.

Woulda been cool to see a TRD supercharger on there but I don't think TRD even makes a supercharger for the new 4.0 in the 4Runner/FJ/Taco, do they? Will they?

I see a roll cage added on in there - I wonder if they actually welded it to the ladder frame underneath to create a sort of spaceframe/skeletal structure like you see underneath the composite panels of cars like the Corvette... that would be neat.

Or if they just have a non chassis integrated cage for nothing more than safety in the event of a roll over?
Old 11-03-06, 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Very nice. I was recalling Rod Millen's off-road RX300 that they raced down in Baja several years ago.
Old 11-03-06, 10:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Very nice. I was recalling Rod Millen's off-road RX300 that they raced down in Baja several years ago.
Seriously? Ouch. I suppose you can fit strong/stiff/high-travel off road shocks and springs to any vehicle to keep the suspension reliable, but I have to imagine after any serious airborne jumps, bumps, and dips, that unibody platform must have been crying for help.
Old 11-03-06, 10:57 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts