Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone on CL own a CL? (500/55AMG/600)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 09:07 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on CL own a CL? (500/55AMG/600)

So... it turns out CL's are half the price I thought they were. It's been one of my dream cars for a while but I thought they were still $70,000.

I'm looking at either a 2001 CL600 with 62,000 miles OR a 2002 CL500 with 59,000 miles.

Has anyone on CL owned one of these bad boys before? My ineternet search didn't yeild much info on reliablitly expect to say it was an amazing car but not worth $90k.

Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-06-06, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well i read that the car has a lot of problems, especially on the electronic side. i think genearch has more info on that.

and between the two cars, i will go with the cl600 for sure. that's v12 bi turbo right?

anyway, HALF the price? they are going for 35k now?
Old 08-06-06, 10:11 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Ya they are $35k now. The 00-02 600 is a 383hp V12 the 03's have 2 turbos and make like 493hp and a grip of torque.

What about the W211 E's? Like a 2003? I hear that there are issues with the tail lights (that can be fixed by sealing them better) and if you don't cover the holes in the lisence plate water gets in the trunk.
Old 08-06-06, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ah ok, sorry about that, not expert in mb. but well, it's still v12, you can't beat how smooth it is

not sure about w211, not a fan of that style so never paid attention.

but wow, 35k, talk about BAD depreciation....... and that's on a v12 car that costs about 140k new? that's insane (for 5 yrs..... 100k lost in value).....

the cl style is awesome, love how the car looks. one of the cars we considered when we got our sc430. read on mbworld.org, saw some complaints and problems on radio and warning lights, and also heard some stories from friends, decided to cross mb off our list
Old 08-07-06, 07:41 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Mercedes-Benz CL is a beautiful car but early model years were plagued with problems like the similar S-Class from what I read on www.mbworld.org . I would recommend if anything look at the 2003 model year where most bugs were fixed. Are you looking at a Starmarked certified one?
Old 08-07-06, 07:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
well i read that the car has a lot of problems, especially on the electronic side. i think genearch has more info on that.

and between the two cars, i will go with the cl600 for sure. that's v12 bi turbo right?

anyway, HALF the price? they are going for 35k now?
Yeah have patience/money for reliability issues.
However, I think its one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Its timeless, has not aged a bit inside or out.

Simply a beautiful car.

Old 08-07-06, 08:14 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IVXX
What about the W211 E's? Like a 2003?
a friend of mine owns a 04 240 and its almost been 3 years now . i remember he had two major issues one with the traction system being shut down by the computer due to a malfunction that was in a lot of the vehicles and another with the gearsbox coolant being mixed with some washer fluid due to a leak .
Old 08-07-06, 08:32 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

$35K is just too low.

From KKB - a 2001 CL600 W/60K miles, it is going for 53-60K from a private party..
Old 08-07-06, 10:30 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IVXX
So... it turns out CL's are half the price I thought they were. It's been one of my dream cars for a while but I thought they were still $70,000.

I'm looking at either a 2001 CL600 with 62,000 miles OR a 2002 CL500 with 59,000 miles.

Has anyone on CL owned one of these bad boys before? My ineternet search didn't yeild much info on reliablitly expect to say it was an amazing car but not worth $90k.

Can anyone help me out?
I have a 2004 CL55 and have only had a few minor issues---supercharger chirp and a problem with the lumbar support on the passenger side. The car has had a number of recalls that are annoying but I never had a problem with any of the recall related items.

The depreciation on these things is pretty severe. For one thing they are not one of the hottest sellers. Most people who consider them realize that the rear seat is fairly useless and can be used for short jaunts with adult sized people. According to Mercedes the majority of people who initially look at these end up buying a SL. Secondly these are extremely slow sellers on the resale market--- again not a lot of demand. Also for a vehicle of this size the trunk space is rather small.

Even with that they are a beautiful design both exterior/interior and in my opinion one of the best that MB has made. You are wise in buying a used one but I would start at the '03 model year since they have had the majority of the bugs worked out of them.
Old 08-07-06, 11:19 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I just purchase 02CL500 4 weeks ago and I must say the car is amazing. I could have purchase a new model with more mileage and less features. But I want a Alabaster white/with java interior man it's so beautiful. I test drove a 03 CL55 and CL600 but I didn't need all that power. I truly feel the car is worth it's price. I even make women take off their shoes when they ride I guess that's just me. Yes some people have electronics problems but think how much **** is in this car your'll begin to understand. (Space ship) I rather be honest don't purchase CL600 for 35k without a warranty yes you will be pimping but when something fail you will regret the purchase. No matter which CL version you purchase make sure it has a warranty.
Old 08-07-06, 11:46 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

A friend of mine has a CL600 01 With 56k for sale..... White with Tan Interior.... comes with 2 sets of rims, PM me if you want me to connect you to him.
Old 08-07-06, 12:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

price drops that much for a reason, just keep that in mind.
Old 08-07-06, 02:27 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Hmm thanks for all the imput guys. I want to stick with a 02 so I can keep my modding options open (wald happens to make a kit that I really like) however i'm also thinking about a W211 E class.

I'm going to go drive a 02 CL600 at the benz dealer today and let you know what I think.
Old 08-07-06, 03:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have a 2004 CL55 and have only had a few minor issues---supercharger chirp and a problem with the lumbar support on the passenger side. The car has had a number of recalls that are annoying but I never had a problem with any of the recall related items.

The depreciation on these things is pretty severe. For one thing they are not one of the hottest sellers. Most people who consider them realize that the rear seat is fairly useless and can be used for short jaunts with adult sized people. According to Mercedes the majority of people who initially look at these end up buying a SL. Secondly these are extremely slow sellers on the resale market--- again not a lot of demand. Also for a vehicle of this size the trunk space is rather small.

Even with that they are a beautiful design both exterior/interior and in my opinion one of the best that MB has made. You are wise in buying a used one but I would start at the '03 model year since they have had the majority of the bugs worked out of them.
Thanks lou!

Old 08-07-06, 04:39 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

That is pretty crazy depreciation. Ill take a v12 for 50K.

Quick Reply: Anyone on CL own a CL? (500/55AMG/600)