Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So much money in Naples, FL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 01:13 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lived there for ten years and, quite honestly, can't wait to get out. It's gone from a relatively quiet and comfortable little town (even since 1996) to what now feels like a ridiculously overcrowded resort city whose roads can't handle the demand of the winter influx. Until recently, the city (and the county) were issuing loads of construction permits without thinking of the potential consequences.

Can't complain too much, however - my family has made an absolute killing in local real estate investments over the past five years. And yes, car watching can be a pleasure - one of the few cities outside of Cali where you'll run out of hands trying to count the number of LS430s and S500s that go by in a five minute span. Looks like you were down around 5th Ave/3rd St. South - stick around those parts on a Saturday night and you'll see any number of Porsches, Ferraris and the like - though honestly, you'd see more if it were January.
Old 07-16-06, 01:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I love Collier County...that is where I want to retire. So many friends and family members have moved out there and yes the $$$ definitely exists. Also check out Marco Island if you are ever down there.
Old 07-16-06, 03:31 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

My girl lives down that way... she's always saying that Naples/Ft. Myers is the place for old people to retire... but not just any old person... an old person with a LOT of money!
Old 07-16-06, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
I've lived there for ten years and, quite honestly, can't wait to get out. It's gone from a relatively quiet and comfortable little town (even since 1996) to what now feels like a ridiculously overcrowded resort city whose roads can't handle the demand of the winter influx. Until recently, the city (and the county) were issuing loads of construction permits without thinking of the potential consequences.
Definitely true. And it's going to get worse - as you know there's still some huge construction projects nr. Davis Blvd and 41.

Can't complain too much, however - my family has made an absolute killing in local real estate investments over the past five years.
Way to go. My mother-in-law only has a little condo here overlooking a golf course and that has shot up in value too. But the market appears to have cooled some wouldn't you say?

Looks like you were down around 5th Ave/3rd St. South
Yup. I've been here many times.
Old 07-16-06, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Also check out Marco Island if you are ever down there.
As a visitor, I think Marco is boring. Pretty much all residential and some hotels, very little to 'do' it seems except hang on the beach IF you have access to it.
Old 07-16-06, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
My girl lives down that way... she's always saying that Naples/Ft. Myers is the place for old people to retire... but not just any old person... an old person with a LOT of money!
Well many without a LOT of money retire here, like my in-laws to a very modest condo on a golf course. Now if you want to live on the water, bring truckloads of money.
Old 07-21-06, 10:14 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Definitely true. And it's going to get worse - as you know there's still some huge construction projects nr. Davis Blvd and 41.
Immokalee Road, too. My parents are moving out into that area - Mediterra, to be exact. I pity them - the way Florida road construction goes, it could be years before that project will be finished.

Way to go. My mother-in-law only has a little condo here overlooking a golf course and that has shot up in value too. But the market appears to have cooled some wouldn't you say?
No doubt! It's pretty flat, now. I had an investment property that I sold in just seven days last summer. Right now, however, there are nine properties on that same street for sale, and absolutely none of them are moving.
Old 07-22-06, 11:24 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

My parents like to go to Naples and spend a weekend there in the summer while staying at the Ritz Carlton. My mother is the ultimate deal finder/creator and she often gets rates for 100-200 dollars there. Its all about proper promo codes or mentioning you are a travel agent. Speaking of which, if you travel a lot getting a global travel agent card for like 200 bucks is a great deal. Free admission to many attractions around the world and killer hotel deals. For example we've stayed at 5 star hotels in Florence during summer for the cheap or my sister got a hotel on Lido Island in Venice for 60 Euros when the bungalos on the beach cost like 2-300 euros.