Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

American driving standards versus Europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

So your one of the millions of US drivers that don't know the rules of the left lane.
If your not doing at least 90, GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!

I always have to slam on my brakes because someone is doing the speed limit in
the left lane.

ps. This isn't a personal attack, just an observation of millions of US drivers.

Ever wonder WHY millons of drivers drive the limit in the left lane?

Legally, that is what the left lane is FOR. The center and right lanes are for traffic going below the limit.
Now, I'm not saying that you have to hug double-nickel in the left lane continuously.....but 90 MPH is clearly illegal.

No doubt you will respond to this by saying that it is not the job of left-lane hoggers to be policemen. Maybe not..........but if a cop sees someone doing the speed limit in the left lane pull over so you can do 90, who is he / she going to ticket? You can bet it's going to be YOU, not the car in front of you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 05:02 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Where did you get the Caddy SRX rental at?
I booked via the web for Alamo in Raleigh-Durham airport. They were about to give me a Chevy Trailblazer, when I managed to get an upgrade to the Caddy for an extra 20 bucks a day. A no brainer! The Caddy drove better than my GS in many ways. It hugged the off ramp at 60mph.

I realised why, when I popped the hood. It had a strut brace fitted at the factory!!! The XM radio and Onstar were both amazing to have.
Old 07-09-06, 05:08 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ever wonder WHY millons of drivers drive the limit in the left lane?

Legally, that is what the left lane is FOR. The center and right lanes are for traffic going below the limit.
Now, I'm not saying that you have to hug double-nickel in the left lane continuously.....but 90 MPH is clearly illegal.

No doubt you will respond to this by saying that it is not the job of left-lane hoggers to be policemen. Maybe not..........but if a cop sees someone doing the speed limit in the left lane pull over so you can do 90, who is he / she going to ticket? You can bet it's going to be YOU, not the car in front of you.
At the end of the day, some folks on both sides of the pond drive at illegal speeds. However, the average European probably drives at faster speeds than the average US driver, and is also probably less likely to get caught when speeding.

Ahhh, radar detectors are illegal in VA!! Now I understand why the trooper was so interested in my bluetooth gps receiver that had flashing lights.
Old 07-09-06, 05:15 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Left Lane passing laws per state: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Old 07-09-06, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by brit_lex
Ahhh, radar detectors are illegal in VA!! Now I understand why the trooper was so interested in my bluetooth gps receiver that had flashing lights.
I don't know why... he probably had one just like it in his own cruiser.

The USE of detectors are a no-no in VA....not necesarily their physical possession. If the detector is in a car registered out of state, you may posess one in VA but not use it. No VA-registered car may have one, though......and buying and selling them in the state is also illegal. To enforce this law, State Police cruisers and some local police have radar and laser " detector-detectors" can alert them to when one is actually turned on.

This is not just something that is regulated by states either. Some insurance companies will not cover drivers who use them no matter what the state laws are.....and if you get caught with one your coverage is dropped.

Some people don't like the fact that I talk about this, but I'm only trying to help you guys and state facts here. I don't want to see any of you get unnecessary tickets or have any property impounded.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 05:52 PM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by southernsc
Left Lane passing laws per state: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
That link is hilarious. I looked at the rules for VA
46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

I wish more folks up on I-66 and I-95 had read this rule before I drove on those roads!!!
Old 07-09-06, 07:53 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm totally With you on the lane issue. Here in Ontario (Niagara falls) it's mainly the amirican visitors who do it and seem to have no idea that it's a problem until I start honking and flashi.ng my highs at them.

I learned to drive in the relatively small country of Trinidad (1.5 mill) and people never hold up the fast lane there.
Old 07-09-06, 08:59 PM
hatchback
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I acknowledge I was breaking the law. I was merely trying to make a point that going 20mph over the limit in Europe is almost "socially acceptable" since virtually everyone is doing 85-90 as a highway speed, compared to attitudes in the USA. I've cruised all over UK and Europe sometimes at 100-110mph and never had a problem. Life seems a bit more liberal over here, not just in driving but drinking etc. too. I take it for granted that in England we can drink alcohol in a public place or on a bus or on the metro or even as a passenger within a car!
VA has one of the strictest speeding laws in the country. Driving above 80mph in VA is a criminal offense. So you are extraordinarily lucky that the trooper let you go with just a warning. You could easily have ended up in jail.
Old 07-10-06, 03:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That link is hilarious. I looked at the rules for VA
46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.
Like I said, though, they don't ticket the ones doing the limit....they ticket those speeding.
Also, some left-lanes on VA Interstates are specifically reserved for HOV cars and Hybrids at certain hours.