Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Buick Enclave Production Pictures Released (pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 09:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

OMG! One (if not the only so far) of the best looking interiors for a domestic Thank god they got new interior designers. No more cheesy cheap plastics, huuuge *****, and ugly steering wheel/shifter.
Very simple, classy, and elegant. If Buick keeps this (are you listening?) this is a hit

Regarding the cargo when the 3rd row is used, it's no different than any other mid-size suv. Just like the gx, when the 3rd row is down, cargo is very limited. You can only fit like 2-3 duffle bags sideways (or 4-5 stacked) or like 4-5 paperbag groceries.
Old 07-01-06, 10:49 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

thats a nice looking SUV, i would rock it
Old 07-01-06, 11:52 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, it's a beautiful design. I hope it does well for them
Old 07-01-06, 11:54 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

-

how are buick's sales lately? good? trending up or down?
Old 07-01-06, 01:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Buick has always had a bad rap for being “an old man’s car”. Originally developed as the “poor man’s Cadillac”, Buick has had difficulty developing its own unique market. I’ve owned several as company cars over the years – and with a little judicious juggling of the options list (an acquired skill necessary for enthusiast drivers of company-spec vehicles) can produce a pretty reasonable vehicle – at least in a 4-door sedan.

Veterans of the muscle car era will remember the (Skylark) Gran Sport of the mid-‘60’s that managed to swallow a 401 CI engine delivering 455 ftlbs of torque . . . this little dentist’s coupe could REALLY embarrass a GTO with its 389 (Pontiac wised up and fitted the 401 too). They were not heavily marketed, but to the cognoscenti, properly optioned Buicks were to be feared.

Pitted against the powerful GTO and the Olds 4-4-2, the Buick usually took home the trophy in magazine comparos. With a slightly softer, more progressive suspension, it actually did much better on a road course than the stiff-legged GTO and 4-4-2. It was always the “handler” of the three, and seemed to accommodate that huge brick of an engine with less havoc caused by a huge forward weight bias.

Of course by the ‘80’s, the turbocharged V-6 Grand National built on the smaller Regal platform delivered as much as 245 hp and 355 ftlbs – an absolute screamer at a time when GM was detuning everything else in the line to meet CAFÉ and EPA regs. The Grand National actually produced more power – and more spectacular quarter miles – than the Corvette of its day. Buick has long been the “sleeper” of the GM line.

Now they are going for the crossover SUV market, and by the looks of the pictures, they’ve done it again. This is a beautiful rendition of the RX concept that EVERYONE has copied – perhaps the best looking of the lot. The third-row seating probably won’t accommodate full-scale adults, but it will silence the whiners that demand a third row of seats – although they realistically won’t use them. OK, there are your seats – if there’s no remaining cargo space, deal with it.

My only problem is with the squinty instrument panel, but that’s probably just a function of the colors chosen on the show car. Otherwise, the Enclave looks like a real winner. I’m looking forward to seeing one on the street!

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-01-06 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fixing dropped words . . must learn to think slower than I type!
Old 07-01-06, 02:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Buick has always had a bad rap for being “an old man’s car”. Originally developed as the “poor man’s Cadillac”, Buick has had difficulty developing its own unique market. I’ve owned several as company cars over the years – and with a little judicious juggling of the options list (an acquired skill necessary for enthusiast drivers of company-spec vehicles) can produce a pretty reasonable vehicle – at least in a 4-door sedan.

Veterans of the muscle car era will remember the (Skylark) Gran Sport of the mid-‘60’s that managed to swallow a 401 CI engine delivering 455 ftlbs of torque . . . this little dentist’s coupe could REALLY embarrass a GTO with its 389 (Pontiac wised up and fitted the 401 too). They were not heavily marketed, but the cognoscenti, properly optioned Buicks were to be feared.

Pitted against the powerful GTO and the Olds 4-4-2, the Buick usually took home the trophy in magazine comparos. With a slightly softer, more progressive suspension, it actually did much better on a road course than the stiff-legged GTO and 4-4-2. It was always the “handler” of the three, and seemed to accommodate that huge brick of an engine with less havoc caused by a huge forward weight bias.

Of course by the ‘80’s, the turbocharged V-6 Grand National built on the smaller Regal platform delivered as much as 245 hp and 355 ftlbs – an absolute screamer at a time when GM was detuning everything else in the line to meet CAFÉ and EPA regs. The Grand National actually more power – and more spectacular quarter miles – than the Corvette of its day. Buick has long been the “sleeper” of the GM line.

Now they are going for the crossover SUV market, and by the looks of the pictures, they’ve done it again. This is a beautiful rendition of the RX concept that EVERYONE has copied – perhaps the best looking of the lot. The third-row seating probably won’t accommodate full-scale adults, but it will silence the whiners that demand a third row of seats – although they realistically won’t use them. OK, there are your seats – if there’s no remaining cargo space, dea; with it.

My only problem is with the squinty instrument panel, but that’s probably just a function of the colors chosen on the show car. Otherwise, the Enclave looks like a real winner. I’m looking forward to seeing one on the street!
Glad to see someone else remembers Buick's muscle cars of years gone by. I had a 1970 Buick GSX in Saturn Yellow with the Stage 1 engine. It was nice to have a luxury car with all power options and air conditioning and still be able to blow away LS6 SS Chevelles that could not order factory ac. I bet the GSX would be worth a bundle today. They only made around 640 of them.
I also owned a 1987 Buick GNX. That was one fast evil looking car for its time.
Thanks for the memories.
Old 07-01-06, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Glad to see someone else remembers Buick's muscle cars of years gone by. I had a 1970 Buick GSX in Saturn Yellow with the Stage 1 engine. It was nice to have a luxury car with all power options and air conditioning and still be able to blow away LS6 SS Chevelles that could not order factory ac. I bet the GSX would be worth a bundle today. They only made around 640 of them.
I also owned a 1987 Buick GNX. That was one fast evil looking car for its time.
Thanks for the memories.
I remember the 60's-70's Buick muscle cars as well.....I grew up with them. In fact, I liked BOTH Buick lines.......the luxury cars for easy-riding when you were tired and the muscle cars when you wanted kick-in-the-pants acceleration. The big Electra 225s were, IMO, actually better luxury cars than their sister Cadillac DeVilles....the transmissions were smoother.

The big full-size Wildcats with the 455 / 360 HP engines were no sloutches either.......with the right axle ratio they could give your GSX a run for the money....and were far more comfortable to boot.
Old 07-01-06, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We kinda got off-topic, though...and it was at least partly my fault. I helped shift the thread from the new Buick SUV to the Buicks of 35-40 years ago. Sorry....I'm just obsessed with those cars to some extent. It's hard for me to forget them.

Anyhow.....I agree that Buick, if it can get the material quality up, may have a winner with this one, but too many recent Buicks.......and its predecessor Rondevous was a perfect example.....have been made out of cheap, flimsy materials with a thin coat of flash on them to try and make them look glitzy. That fools some people...it doesn't fool me.
Old 07-01-06, 05:09 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one nice looking Buick!

Wait...did I just write that...
Old 07-02-06, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Very nice - it's not just GM's Buick brand that's getting it together with interiors - it's happening with the Chevy Tahoe, many Saturns, and others.

Maybe the clumsy giant is getting it's act together?
Old 07-03-06, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very nice - it's not just GM's Buick brand that's getting it together with interiors - it's happening with the Chevy Tahoe, many Saturns, and others.

Maybe the clumsy giant is getting it's act together?
The dashes on some new GM products are getting a lot nicer.....the rest of the interiors seem to be pretty much the same old GM plastic. This new Buick does look nice inside.....I'll save further comments for a closer examination. I saw one at the DC Auto Show in January but could not get inside of it.
Old 07-03-06, 04:59 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

No joke, a BUICK I could ROCK
I feel the same way about this SUV - Buick might still be salvaged.

But GM needs to be careful not to cut costs too heavily - the powertrain options should include Cadillac's 3.6 liter mated to at least a 5-speed auto and a V8 - maybe the Northstar - but the Northstar needs to be hooked up to a 5+ speed auto.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a Lucerne is because it still uses a 4 speed auto. I don't care how well the car performs despite its low gear count - I'd never buy it because I don't support ancient tech in new cars. GM needs to be competitive here.

M.
Old 07-03-06, 05:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by videcormeum
The only reason I wouldn't buy a Lucerne is because it still uses a 4 speed auto. I don't care how well the car performs despite its low gear count - I'd never buy it because I don't support ancient tech in new cars. GM needs to be competitive here.

M.
You don't need 5 gears if the engine has enough torque...though of course they are nice to have anyway.
The Lucerne has worse problems than the gear count. I was generally not impressed with it at all when I did a recent review:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+buick+lucerne
Old 09-12-06, 09:49 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Buick Enclave Concept Pictures Released

And an interior shot from earlier photos

Old 09-12-06, 10:23 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Very nice.

Put it into production.

The interiors are getting better.

Ted

Quick Reply: New Buick Enclave Production Pictures Released (pg. 3)