Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: Audi A3 2.0 T DSG

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 04:57 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you had an RX330, you're probably used to AWD ( the way most of them were built, even though FWD was standard ). You can get the Quattro AWD on the DSG A3, but to do so, like I put down on the list of the car's negatives, you have cough up more $$$ for the 3.2L V6 model...Audi, for some reason, will not sell Quattro on the 2.0 turbo DSG models, even though the engine has more than enough power to handle it.
Also keep in mind that, while Audis have good material quality and fit-and-finish inside and out, their electronics, in general, are usually not as reliable as what you were probably accustomed to in the RX330....so expect a little more time in the shop with an Audi. And unless you really want a NAV package, consider the conventional non-NAV model...the MMI that comes with ithe NAV package, like BMW's I-Drive, IMO is a PITA to use.

Thanks for the extra info. Actually, our RX330 is a FWD model so eventhough I would like the Quattro, I can live with the FWD especially since I'm supposed to be saving money by selling the RX and my weekend toy. Also, I'd probably get the non navigation car as well since Audi does not offer navigation in Hawaii yet. Doesn't matter to me as I have a full blown Apline A/V system that is coming out of my RX330 that I could put in the A3 if I got this car. I already priced one out on the Audi website and a 2.0T with the options I would have to have still came out under $30K. That is not bad at all. I tried it with the 3.2 V6 version and it came out to $37K so forget that one.
Old 06-29-06, 05:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Thanks for the extra info. Actually, our RX330 is a FWD model so eventhough I would like the Quattro, I can live with the FWD especially since I'm supposed to be saving money by selling the RX and my weekend toy. Also, I'd probably get the non navigation car as well since Audi does not offer navigation in Hawaii yet. Doesn't matter to me as I have a full blown Apline A/V system that is coming out of my RX330 that I could put in the A3 if I got this car. I already priced one out on the Audi website and a 2.0T with the options I would have to have still came out under $30K. That is not bad at all. I tried it with the 3.2 V6 version and it came out to $37K so forget that one.
Yes...like I mentioned in my review, the 3.2 is a ripoff, staring at almost 34K without options....and, of course, it is mandtory if you want AWD...fortunately you don't.

You're making the right decision, IMO, getting the non-NAV model..Not only are you saving money but you have much easier-to-use controls as well.

The " build-your-own " features on manufacturer websites are good for theoretically, on paper, seeing what the exact car you want ( within the company's packaging restrictions, of course ) would list for, independent of dealer markups or discounts....I use them quite often myself when helping people decide which new vehicle is best for them........but you may or may not actually find that exact car in stock on a dealer lot with exactly the colors and options you want. In some cases you can order one, put down a deposit, and wait for delivery. Other times the exact car you want may be available at another dealership and can be shipped or driven down. Other times you're out of luck....you have to choose from what is available on the lot or is shortly arriving on the transporter. Whether you can order the exact car you want or not depends on a number of factors.....the location of the assembly plants, what time of year it is and if the factory is re-tooling for new models, supply-and-demand, and, of course, the manufacturer's own marketing policies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-06 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 04:26 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for another excellent review. I don't agree, however, about the Nav/MMI system being overly complex. I have it on our A4 and after the first day or two it seemed logical and intuitive-it's just an lcd screen with a scroll wheel, menu driven with a back button if you don't like your choice. I like the way it replaces the many multi-function buttons and ***** on our Lexus.
Old 07-06-06, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Thank you for another excellent review. I don't agree, however, about the Nav/MMI system being overly complex. I have it on our A4 and after the first day or two it seemed logical and intuitive-it's just an lcd screen with a scroll wheel, menu driven with a back button if you don't like your choice. I like the way it replaces the many multi-function buttons and ***** on our Lexus.
I made a point of mentioning, in the review, that the MMI was not as complex as I-Drive. It IS complex, though, by my standards......I'm quite conservative in that area and tend to believe in conventional *****, switches, and levers.
As a somewhat inactive pilot, ( though still licensed ) I was also that way in the air. I learned to use analog flight instruments and never did like the digital stuff....I found it confusing and distracting.
Old 07-06-06, 07:05 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaydunn
I have to agree MMarshal - the MMI system is really nice (and better than the I-Drive which believe it or not, I really like except for the speed).

Also you commented that it has unreliable electronics - I don't think this is a fact however.

I personally never drove an A3, afraid I would like it too much.

however, as always, a very nice write-up. Thank you.
Old 07-06-06, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ilso you commented that it has unreliable electronics - I don't think this is a fact however.

I
Virtually all European-designed cars, especially German-designed ones, have electrical systems that are in general less reliable than domestic, Japanese, or Korean ones. Whether that qualifies as " unreliable " or not in your view, of course, depends on what you consider " reliable ".
In general, I consider Toyota / Lexus, Honda / Acura, and Subaru to be the industry leaders in reliability. By those standards, Audi electronics are unreliable.

In fact, take a look at this CL thread: This could well have been caused by a short in Audi electronics.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225526

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-06 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 07:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Virtually all European-designed cars, especially German-designed ones, have electrical systems that are in general less reliable than domestic, Japanese, or Korean ones. Whether that qualifies as " unreliable " or not in your view, of course, depends on what you consider " reliable ".
In general, I consider Toyota / Lexus, Honda / Acura, and Subaru to be the industry leaders in reliability. By those standards, Audi electronics are unreliable.

In fact, take a look at this CL thread: This could well have been caused by a short in Audi electronics.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225526
Whoa.... nobody knows what caused that. Normally cars are shipped with their batteries disconnected. This easily could have been arson and to suggest that it was cause by a short in Audi electronics is conjecture.
Old 07-06-06, 08:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks. I try to be as truthful, accurate, and objective as I can in car reviews. Every vehicle is a combination or a trade-off of agreeable and disagreeable features....but not every person agrees on just what a good or bad feature is. For instance, the Lexus LS430's ride would delight someone like me but might completely turn off a person who likes a rally car like the Mitsubishi Evo or Subaru STi. Likewise someone who is used to the heft, brawn, towing and people-carrying capacities of a Suburban would find a Mazda Miata completely worthless.

No, the A3's rear seats don't actually fold perfectly flat, but with the 60/40 feature and the pass-through fold-down hole / cubby compartment, , they are quite versatile...and built out of impressive materials.
When I drove A3 last time it was way to stiff and uncomfortable for me... I guess I am not used to those sports/hard/narrow seats. I just wanted to get out of the darn thing. Looks great though.

Another thing to note is that cheap Audi's interiors, while looking and feeling great, wear sooner than on their premium models. My Friends 2002 A4 has many parts of interior peeled off, despite him taking care of it.
Old 07-06-06, 08:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Whoa.... nobody knows what caused that. Normally cars are shipped with their batteries disconnected. This easily could have been arson and to suggest that it was cause by a short in Audi electronics is conjecture.
of course, nobody knows.

But, batteries are NOT disconected while shipping. Rather, there is one fuse that controls many of car's interior electronics that cause drain on the battery, and it is never entered into its slot in the fuse box in the factory, it is stored on the side, and when dealer does their PDI check, they put it in. Car is completly usable since they have to move it around by driving it, things like ESP, ABS, Radio, HVAC, etc, do not work though.