Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's New Ultra-quick Six-Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 12:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
its probably faster than BMW tranny seeing how BMW didnt get to match IS350's numbers, even with having more torque...
It is easy to find out. How fast does the IS tranny shift? We already know the BMW tranny shifts at 100 milliseconds.
Old 07-26-06, 06:10 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It is easy to find out. How fast does the IS tranny shift? We already know the BMW tranny shifts at 100 milliseconds.

So how fast does the IS tranny shift? Our trannie doesnt feel really all that. doesnt even throttle blip... how good can it really be if it even lacks that?
Old 07-26-06, 10:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
So how fast does the IS tranny shift? Our trannie doesnt feel really all that. doesnt even throttle blip... how good can it really be if it even lacks that?
I don't know. I thought the info was out but I've been serching and can't really come up with anything. I'm sure someone will post the info soon though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-26-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 11:01 PM
LexFather

Is this a BMW tranny or another GM one?

Old 07-27-06, 01:49 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is this a BMW tranny or another GM one?
Mike, easy on the BMW comments. Some people get very ichy when it comes to trying to defend them.
Old 07-27-06, 02:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Mike, easy on the BMW comments. Some people get very ichy when it comes to trying to defend them.
Hehehe, I think he was just asking since BMW uses both GM and other trannies. Even BMW enthusiasts and owners know the GM made tranny sucks in terms of reliability
Old 07-27-06, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Lol, I honestly was asking is this a BMW unit or is it another GM unit that BMW buys and uses.

Old 07-27-06, 07:57 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

So, this is going in the 2007 328i and 335i sedans, right?
Old 07-27-06, 08:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
it shifts fast enough to get 0-60 in 5.1 secs, and quarter mile in 13.8, both around 1 sec better than 330i, manual :-). Seeing how official BMW figures are 5.5 sec (vs 5.3 in IS350), it really cant be that faster, can it? :-).

Lexus claimed at time of the release, that it is the fastest automatic tranny on the market.
Old 07-27-06, 09:15 AM
insider
Pole Position

No doubt the BMW tranny is better. It shifts faster, blips throttle on downshifts, has a special torque converter so it loses less power and makes it more efficient, also holds gears in manual mode unlike the lexus which will downshift. The tranny is maze by ZF http://www.zf.com/defaultz.asp?isOpen=1&lang=1&id=1 A German company.
Old 07-27-06, 10:05 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
it shifts fast enough to get 0-60 in 5.1 secs, and quarter mile in 13.8, both around 1 sec better than 330i, manual :-). Seeing how official BMW figures are 5.5 sec (vs 5.3 in IS350), it really cant be that faster, can it? :-).

Lexus claimed at time of the release, that it is the fastest automatic tranny on the market.

My though exactly. The new BMW trany sounds so good on paper because they overhauled everything since the old one was not up to par. Nice words on paper are just that, nice. Can't wait to see both cars head to head on pavement. Or even the three cars head to head, bring on the 335 manual too.
Old 07-27-06, 10:15 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phatboyc
My though exactly. The new BMW trany sounds so good on paper because they overhauled everything since the old one was not up to par. Nice words on paper are just that, nice. Can't wait to see both cars head to head on pavement. Or even the three cars head to head, bring on the 335 manual too.
Looks good on paper, yes. But here is an actual review to back it up

Take a look http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...umentid=620978

"Get this – when we first drive it, we thought it was BMW’s SMG clutchless manual, rather than a ‘proper’ auto, so quickly does it shift gears and so free from elastic is its response. Gearchanges are ultra-fast, response to the throttle is rapid and if you’re belting, hard on the brakes, into a tight second gear corner in sixth gear, straight down to second (missing the intermediates) it will shift, fast."

Last edited by insider; 07-27-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 10:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

autos/sequential/DSG are getting so good nowadays, feel sorry for conventional manuals
Old 07-27-06, 12:47 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by insider
Looks good on paper, yes. But here is an actual review to back it up

Take a look http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...umentid=620978

"Get this – when we first drive it, we thought it was BMW’s SMG clutchless manual, rather than a ‘proper’ auto, so quickly does it shift gears and so free from elastic is its response. Gearchanges are ultra-fast, response to the throttle is rapid and if you’re belting, hard on the brakes, into a tight second gear corner in sixth gear, straight down to second (missing the intermediates) it will shift, fast."
Page doesn't load. Even when going through the site itself.

I want to know what they say about the paddle shifting. Comments about the "ultra-fast shifting gears" are like déja vue when I was ready on the IS350.
Old 07-27-06, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
autos/sequential/DSG are getting so good nowadays, feel sorry for conventional manuals
not really, no matter how fast the tranny is, you are not involved as with manual transmission. It doesnt really matter if it shifts in 0.1 or 0.2 secs. And of course, due to torque convertor, 335i Auto is still 0.2 slower than Manual version according to BMW.

Quick Reply: BMW's New Ultra-quick Six-Speed Automatic