Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man survives horrific crash in New York

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 02:32 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Man survives horrific crash in New York

Source

Originally Posted by ABC News
March 17, 2006 — No one understands how Bryan Pacelli survived a terrible car accident on the Long Island Expressway. An out-of-control tractor-trailer careened across the highway, pushed his small, black Audi into the median, and plowed into a bus.

The car was destroyed, but Pacelli, 39, came away basically unscathed. "I've been in the car business 20 years, and I've never seen anyone come out of a car that looked like that in one piece."

"I've been picking glass out of my scalp for two days," he said.

Pacelli, a father of two, has a herniated disk in his neck, a couple of pinched nerves, and some scratches. No one can believe it — especially after watching the dramatic video captured by a camera mounted on the dashboard of the bus. He cannot remember the accident, but his wife, Kelly, passed the crash site as she was rushed to Nassau University Medical Center.

"The officer who pulled him out visited … expected a fatality," Kelly Pacelli said. "I feel extremely fortunate because my husband is here — and he shouldn't be."

The camera that caught the crash was installed by DriveCam, a firm that places the units on commercial vehicles so companies can monitor their employees' driving and analyze what went wrong in a crash.

"We can take a look at the video and the audio. We can coach the driver on what he or she could have done differently or should have [done] differently," said Bruce Moeller, the CEO of DriveCam.

The Pacellis hadn't seen the tape of the crash until ABC News showed it to them. Bryan Pacelli was not prepared for what he saw, and both he and his wife began crying.

"Oh. … That was ugly," he said. "Holy … cow. That's disgusting. That's disgusting. I did not expect that."

There is no good explanation for why Pacelli survived. An Audi dealer, he credits his Audi TT and faith.

"The car did its job," he said. "The car was smashed to smithereens. The entire passenger compartment of the car is still intact."

The tractor-trailer was sited for a missing tax sticker, bald tires, improper registration for weight, and for carrying 16,000 pounds above the maximum weight.
Holy crap, look at that car! Guy's completely fine!
Old 03-17-06, 02:42 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... reminds me that time some guy got sandwiched by 2 semis in his WRX and lived to walk and talk about it. It's amazing the advances in safety technology that auto manufacturers have brought to market... now if we could only create the technology to keep truck drivers from killing the innocent.
Old 03-17-06, 02:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

DAMN!!!! that thing looks crazy.

Thats funny, cause I was thinking the same thing(the WRX crash)
Old 03-17-06, 03:03 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this on the local news but they didn't show the aftermath.....damn... ...I'm glad he survived...whoa...
Old 03-17-06, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
... reminds me that time some guy got sandwiched by 2 semis in his WRX and lived to walk and talk about it. It's amazing the advances in safety technology that auto manufacturers have brought to market... now if we could only create the technology to keep truck drivers from killing the innocent.
Techology? All that these trucks need in many instances is just new brakes, tires, shocks, or a properly-sized load and a little rest for the drivers now and then. However, many ( not all ) truck drivers and companies are just CHEAP and won't replace them......................and they have ways of getting around truck inspection stops.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-06 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 03:09 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I still say those da-n trucks should be on their own separate road away from 4 and 2 wheelers. They are nothing but trouble. Many times they are leaking some kind of fluid or spewing grease from the truck and throw pebbles out that chip paint and windshields. I know we need them but I hate those overweight behemoths.
Old 03-17-06, 03:15 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Techology? All that these trucks need in many instances is just new brakes, tires, shocks, or a properly-sized load and a little rest for the drivers now and then. However, many ( not all ) truck drivers and companies are just CHEAP and won't replace them......................and they have ways of getting around truck inspection stops.
My comment was meant to be taken as sarcasm.
Old 03-17-06, 05:18 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
However, many ( not all ) truck drivers and companies are just CHEAP and won't replace them......................and they have ways of getting around truck inspection stops.
Or you can just buy your license from the IL governor
Old 03-17-06, 05:50 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you why he survived... It's rather simple too.

It just wasn't his time to go.

Glad to hear he is ok.
Old 03-17-06, 06:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 205 Likes on 137 Posts

Looking at the wreck, he's an incredibly lucky man !!
Old 03-18-06, 05:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i saw this on the news the other day and that guy was real lucky, does anyone want to buy an AUDI now?
Old 03-18-06, 05:49 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

The technology discussion probably is more related to vehicle safety designs

That car looks horrific.... The looks like he had to be rather small to remain intact..lol

Very fortunate fellow.... I wonder how much the engineering of the cabin compartment had to do with his sustaining minimal injuries?
Old 03-18-06, 09:20 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i seen this on the news...cant believe he lived

god bless him
Old 03-18-06, 09:33 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad this guy is alright and a big to Audi, the car did what it was suppose to do under that horrible circumstance.

TripleL
Old 03-18-06, 11:11 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TripleL
Glad this guy is alright and a big to Audi, the car did what it was suppose to do under that horrible circumstance.

TripleL
Yeah... the guy works for an Audi dealer too. What a GREAT selling point for Audi now

Quick Reply: Man survives horrific crash in New York