Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The more wood trim, the more luxurious ?
Yes, the Jagyuar X is looks & the feel most luxurious because the more wood trim the better
36.84%
No, I like wood trim but not necessarily the more the better
63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Jaguar X-Type the Ultimate Interior for Entry Level Luxury Sedan?-Wood Trim Galore!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 12:08 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do i have fake wood or real wood in my IS350? I am not really sure but it sure does look good and makes my car more luxorious. I dont think i wil ever buy a lexus w/o wood trim. just my thought. But then if i would have bought 330i, i would have opt for alumium trim cz the wood trim in 3 series are kinda ugly, just like the picture you've posted above.
Old 02-11-06, 12:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
A lot of times fake wood is better than real wood, as long as its nicely dont (not acura's or infiniti's crap). Fake wood is a lot more durable compared to the real thing, and as long as its properly formed, finished and aapplied, I have no problem with it.

In fact, it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between real wood and fake wood, for instance in my old GS300 the wood trim was cracked all over, and even looking on the back side I couldnt tell for sure whether it was real of fake because real formica and plastic formica are so similar in looks. I guess the only reason to believe it was real is because it actually cracked, plastic is a lot more durable. In my new GS430, I can't tell for the life of me if the wood is real, in fact I think it is fake at least on the center console, it looks too good to be real.
Fake **** are nice, and great for some people but I am a real hooters kinda guy.
THe same way I like my wood inside cars.

Every Lexus has had real wood, Lexus did the research, luxury car owners notice the difference. You don't see Benzs and BMWs with fake wood. Helll you can get marble in Benzes.

Old 02-11-06, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Every Lexus has had real wood, Lexus did the research, luxury car owners notice the difference. .
Not every Lexus. 2001-2005 IS300s did not have standard wood trim. My 2001 yellow IS300 didn't have any wood trim, real or otherwise. It was available as an option with other paint colors, just not the yellow. For some reason the Lexus marketers figured it either didn't go with yellow or that people with yellow cars didn't want it.
Old 02-11-06, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not every Lexus. 2001-2005 IS300s did not have standard wood trim. My 2001 yellow IS300 didn't have any wood trim, real or otherwise. It was available as an option with other paint colors, just not the yellow. For some reason the Lexus marketers figured it either didn't go with yellow or that people with yellow cars didn't want it.
What he means is when they do use wood trim in Lexus cars, they always use real wood in every Lexus.
Old 02-11-06, 08:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fake **** are nice, and great for some people but I am a real hooters kinda guy.
THe same way I like my wood inside cars.

Every Lexus has had real wood, Lexus did the research, luxury car owners notice the difference. You don't see Benzs and BMWs with fake wood. Helll you can get marble in Benzes.

I hear what you're saying, but then again, I personally don't see it as such a big
deal, as long as it looks nice and last. For instance, in my old GS300, I replaced
the cracked trims with fake wood, and honestly I would much rather prefer if the
wood was fake to begin with, this way it would be more durable and I wouldnt have
to spend a fortune on new trim. So far I haven't had a problem in the new gs430,
and I hope it stays this way.

Another thing, while it doesn't apply to all, but some real wood
can be fugly. For instance, in old Mercedes, the real wood looked
horrific, just look at the picture below.

For instance, I think that the fake stuff in the TSX on
the picture below is way better looking

However it is true that some fake wood can look like total
crap, for instance the MDX in this picture

And below is a picture of my old 94 GS300. The only original real wood trim is
on the ashtray, everything above is fake trim that I applied, and the piece of on
the center console is fake, I replaced the real cracked thim with that.

And below is my new GS430, gorgeous stuff, and I pray to god it
doesnt crack. On the other hand, I somehow doubt it's real wood,
but honestly, if it looks like that, I don't care.

Last edited by Och; 02-11-06 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-11-06, 11:34 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bottom pics of your GS430 looks like they're using real wood.

being a mad guitar guy, i once planned to custom build an acoustic or an electric guitar using fine veneers (not fake overlays, just real thin cut wood). As proven to us by guitarmakers for centuries...bending wood when you have the right tools and know-how isn't all that hard.

and frankly, a lot of fake wood-wannabe trim has whirls and patterns that are way too unrealistic to be found in woods. Probably the only woods i've seen without a regular pattern/grain is Birds-Eye Maple which is just a "Regular" piece of maple log cut in a unique direction. even the wavy bands found in Flame Maple have a regular and constant pattern. Most "wood" trim kits seem to not realize this--which in turn makes complete hash of the interior once applied.

and (sorry i don't remember the name) stated that the wood trims are sandy and all are stained---rosewood is actually that dark red/brown/purplish color by nature. Pretty much all woods in the Rosewood family used in "trim and finishing" carry their natural colors(rosewood, brazillian rosewood, ovangkol, cocobolo).
Old 02-11-06, 11:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by whoster
and (sorry i don't remember the name) stated that the wood trims are sandy and all are stained---rosewood is actually that dark red/brown/purplish color by nature. Pretty much all woods in the Rosewood family used in "trim and finishing" carry their natural colors(rosewood, brazillian rosewood, ovangkol, cocobolo).
Yes, i realize that some wood have different shades, some with red hues on tan etc., so I should not have said all, but my point to mmarshall really is most of what people think as "color that looks like real wood " are not necessarily their natural color at all, it's the color of the stain that they are looking at, just that the most common colors of most wood furniture /trims we see are medium to slightly dark brown. (I also left out the the rosewood he mentioned on the M35 when quoting him.}
For example mahogany wood funiture from asia, they are traditionally stained almost black, which is the "normal "color, there are people who likes them and people who don't. My bedposts are american mahogany stained brown unlike the asian types I have, I don't think there's any particular color shade that wood "should look like", it's all a matter of taste.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-11-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-11-06, 02:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a few sheets of real wood veneer left over from a job, so I laminated it to some of my cabinets, and I have to say that it scratches easily and more prone to cracking. Plastic laminate is much more durable.
Old 02-12-06, 08:53 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

If I'm not mistaken the rosewood in the M is sealed with a clear product, not a stain. The company that supplies it also makes speakers, and their speakers are not stained, just sealed.
Old 02-12-06, 09:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Haha, I guess I have seen too much of people making furnitures staining wood from the more common tan color to different shades.
I' ve done some research & found out that some trees can produce wood of very dark & rare colors, I always thought that even though some wood can have different color hues, they are basically tan to medium brownish & people use stains to enhance it or even change it to a totally different color. But here are some natural color wood colors, some of which doesn't look natural if I were't told about it CLICK HERE

Never thought natural wood can look so evenly reddish without some enhancement, or did they ? :

This is one type of rosewood, purple in color, but I bet it doesn't look real for most people if they weren't told because of the color. I guess the wood grain looks real enough, but I would have guessed it was enhanced with stain to look that way:

This is bird's eye maple & looks like the golden bird's eye maple on my SC430, I' ve heard a couple people in the SC430 forum commented before it doesn't look natural because of the light color & the burl walnut alternative looks more like what wood trims should look like. I'd be interested to know whether they used stain to enhance it a little or just use seal/laquer on it though, it looks brighter & more honey blonde on the car , or is it just because it's polished ?:

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-12-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-12-06, 11:39 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Natural bird's eye maple grain and color looks like this:

I couldn't see your pic of it. You can find veneers of it with a more traditional ring grain but most folks go for the little eye-lets.

Here is some clear sealed rosewood (this is the same supplier as the folks who supply Lexus and Infiniti, if I'm not mistaken)

Here's a thread with a lot of cool wood veneers.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...r&pagenumber=4