Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EVO magazine declares M3 winner against RS4 and C55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Cool EVO magazine declares M3 winner against RS4 and C55 AMG

"After ten minutes behind the wheel the RS4 was my winner. It's got the looks, the interior, the edge on performance. Forty-eight hours later, the deft balance, awesome adjustability and sheer exuberance of the M3 CS seemed insurmountable. It gives you so many options, and I don't just mean you can oversteer it all day long (which you can). It has incredible balance, and it's so responsive to your inputs that you feel intimately involved through every part of every corner. For you and me, that's what really counts."

Old 02-05-06, 10:47 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has the BMW M3 ever NOT come out on top of a comparo like this?
Old 02-05-06, 10:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, how did you like the Zonda F bit?
Old 02-05-06, 09:55 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M3 comes out on top (again)
Old 02-06-06, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I have not driven or compared these cars myself back-to-back ( though I did a recent review on the new 325i ) , but I have looked at them in the showroom. Among the 3 of them, at least on paper, if you look at the specs and figures, it seems hard to beat the RS4.....even in spite of the BMW's traditionally superb handling and steering feel.
The Audi's sticker price, yes, is a little higher than the others, but look at what that buys: First, Quattro AWD traction and roadholding. Second, a V8 with more HP and torque than the M3 and more HP then the AMG ( albeit it at high RPM ) despite the AMG's larger displacement. Third, 4-link front and double-wishbone rear suspension as opposed to cheaper struts and multi-links on the other two. Fourth, an electronic differential lock for slippery conditions and cornering not found on the other two. Fifth, Bosch direct fuel injection....a more efficient system than the multiport system used on the other two cars. Sixth, the highest power-to-weight ratio and the quickest 0-60 times of the 3 cars in spite of the added drag of the AWD system. Seventh, the best paint job of the 3 cars, hands-down. Eighth, dealerships that are likely to be less arrogant and lower-priced in the service bays. Ninth, a repair record that, while not up to Japanese or Lexus standards, is somewhat better than the other two, especially in electronics. Tenth, less chance of dealer price-gouging than on either M3's or AMG's. Needless to say, ( though I admit I have not actually driven them ) I think a strong case can be made for the Audi here.

Now.....if Audi would JUST get rid of that awful oversized tuna-fish-sucking-wind grille....................

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-06 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
See my comments above.
Old 02-06-06, 05:54 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have not driven or compared these cars myself back-to-back ( though I did a recent review on the new 325i ) , but I have looked at them in the showroom. Among the 3 of them, at least on paper, if you look at the specs and figures, it seems hard to beat the RS4.....even in spite of the BMW's traditionally superb handling and steering feel.
The Audi's sticker price, yes, is a little higher than the others, but look at what that buys: First, Quattro AWD traction and roadholding. Second, a V8 with more HP and torque than the M3 and more HP then the AMG ( albeit it at high RPM ) despite the AMG's larger displacement. Third, 4-link front and double-wishbone rear suspension as opposed to cheaper struts and multi-links on the other two. Fourth, an electronic differential lock for slippery conditions and cornering not found on the other two. Fifth, Bosch direct fuel injection....a more efficient system than the multiport system used on the other two cars. Sixth, the highest power-to-weight ratio and the quickest 0-60 times of the 3 cars in spite of the added drag of the AWD system. Seventh, the best paint job of the 3 cars, hands-down. Eighth, dealerships that are likely to be less arrogant and lower-priced in the service bays. Ninth, a repair record that, while not up to Japanese or Lexus standards, is somewhat better than the other two, especially in electronics. Tenth, less chance of dealer price-gouging than on either M3's or AMG's. Needless to say, ( though I admit I have not actually driven them ) I think a strong case can be made for the Audi here.

Now.....if Audi would JUST get rid of that awful oversized tuna-fish-sucking-wind grille....................
all thats good but you need to drive some cars to compare, i see all the IS owners like to compare their cars to the M3 so why is it not even in this competition
Old 02-06-06, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sha4000
all thats good but you need to drive some cars to compare:
Yes...I understand that. I was pointing out the Audi's many advantages, though, on paper.
Old 02-06-06, 06:37 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

M3 is THE most overrated car you can find today! Especially in magazines and online forums.

Someone that is not familiar with M3 easily can think that it is a supercar just reading the articles or posts on forums. Even worse he/she might think it's a supercar priced to be a bargain!

That's the impression I got. Everyone was raving about it's performance, balance blah blah blah. Then I drove it .. and I found out that it is not more different or better performing than 350Z. I am dead serious!
Old 02-06-06, 06:42 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
M3 is THE most overrated car you can find today! Especially in magazines and online forums.

Someone that is not familiar with M3 easily can think that it is a supercar just reading the articles or posts on forums. Even worse he/she might think it's a supercar priced to be a bargain!

That's the impression I got. Everyone was raving about it's performance, balance blah blah blah. Then I drove it .. and I found out that it is not more different or better performing than 350Z. I am dead serious!

You Joking right?

Was it a US spec E36 you drove perhaps?

All I know that at the track events I go to.. it posts faster times then any stock 350z would at least among equally skilled drivers.
Old 02-06-06, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Was it a US spec E36 you drove perhaps?

All I know that at the track events I go to.. it posts faster times then any stock 350z would at least among equally skilled drivers.
What do you mean by " stock " ? Unlike the U.S.-spec M3, the 350Z comes in several different levels of aggressiveness, from the Base version up to the Track / Competition model. Are you saying the M3, with co-equal drivers, will dust off ANY unmodified, factory-spec 350Z , even considering the Z's much lower center-of-gravity for handling and slicker aerodynamics?
Old 02-06-06, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean by " stock " ? Unlike the U.S.-spec M3, the 350Z comes in several different levels of aggressiveness, from the Base version up to the Track / Competition model. Are you saying the M3, with co-equal drivers, will dust off ANY unmodified, factory-spec 350Z , even considering the Z's much lower center-of-gravity for handling and slicker aerodynamics?
lnadj2 said ANY stock 350z, maybe even the track version then. personally i think if driven right (say by the same driver), the m3 should walk away from the z. my friend is track fan and he races a lot, and he's able to keep very close to a m3 at the track driven by a "normal" guy. now imagine if the m3 is driven by him instead
Old 02-06-06, 09:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 205 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
As far as I can recall, I think autobild did a comparison between the RS4 & the M3 & picked the RS4, they said the M3 is not in the same league I think . . .
Old 02-06-06, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lnadj2 said ANY stock 350z, maybe even the track version then. personally i think if driven right (say by the same driver), the m3 should walk away from the z. my friend is track fan and he races a lot, and he's able to keep very close to a m3 at the track driven by a "normal" guy. now imagine if the m3 is driven by him instead
Perhaps. Power usually counts. The M3 does have more power and will take the Z on the straights even if the Z catches up in the turns. If you guys have actually seen this at a track, of course, then I take your word for it. I would be foolish not to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-06 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 02:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I dunno know man. That RS4 sure is mean. I keep thinking back to the TopGear episode. Maybe if it was an M3 CSL being tested then I could justify this. Not so sure about a regular M3.

Quick Reply: EVO magazine declares M3 winner against RS4 and C55 AMG