Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison: Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 10:31 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, the SC400 could not hold a candle to either car on a course track...I never intended for it to. It is a big, heavy luxury coupe. Whay do you think I want a "Pure" sports car as well? I want that level of handling and performance in a street car.

I love both cars. Either way, I wil probably end up adding FI to which ever one I purchase. Gotta have the power as well...

Ryan
Old 02-01-06, 01:25 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the NSX is meant to be an all-motor N/A tuning sports car. Turbo and S/C is readily available, but I think that defeats the whole purpose of buying a Honda.

If you're looking for handling, then S2000 handles equally well, if not better than the NSX (based on roadtests from BestMotoring and etc.) Then again there's always the Elise and the upcoming Exige.

But I think the NSX is still one of the best looking cars out there.
Old 02-01-06, 01:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As its been stated, you really need to DRIVE both cars to find out which you like. Both are fairly close on many mediums of measure.

One thing not touched by others in this thread is feel. From what I'm told the NSX supposedly inspires more confidence in driving and has a better driving FEEL than nearly any car in production today. Its incredibly balanced, has a AWESOME torque curve which stays quite flat throughout the rpm range (you won't feel vtec kick in, you'll only hear it), and I'm also told it has a TREMENDOUS view. Its like looking out of a race car, you can see the entire road roll out in front of you through the glass, you are low to the ground and feel connected to the car and the road. The 91-93 models (I think) don't even have powersteering available.

I'm told its all about feel with the NSX, and that its very addictive. I also like the looks better than a plane-jane 996. Aftermarket options are readily available for it now (AEM has a ECU now for it) and there are quite a few turbokits around (and the platform is quite easy to even make your own if you do a little research into how current turbokits are produced - hint: many use the stock manifolds in a rear-mount turbo setup - a ton of room where the stock muffler sits)
Old 02-01-06, 02:33 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You definately have to test drive these types of cars. The feel between the rear engine 911 and the mid engine NSX will be unique and different. I think with both these cars it will either click with you or not. Personally, I believe if the NSX had a little more power it would appeal to a lot more people. As people already mentioned, the view is amazing. You will feel like you are driving a race car. It may not be as fast as one, but it sure will feel like one If the NSX is set up right it will feel almost telepathic in terms of steering feel, fedback and response. If you do test drive one I would suggest you try and drive a stock NSX that uses the stock rims. The tires do play a factor as well as the NSX uses corner specific tires build for the NSX. Other newer tires may indeed perform better, but none give you the feel and feedback of the OEM tires. The reason being is the tires have built in bias to compliment the NSX OEM alignment. Anyway, good luck on whichever you choose. Both are great cars.
Old 02-01-06, 07:49 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got the ultimate luxury cruiser in the SC, so if you want the ultimate sports car, the Lotus Elise is tough to beat. I mean, it's not very comfy or roomy, but it beats both the 911 and the NSX in most performance categories and costs almost half as much as those new. I would think it would be competitive price-wise to those two cars used as well. Plus, you get Toyota reliability in the drivetrain. The shifter in the S2000 is the best I've ever used. It is better than my NSX. That's a great car too. At least drive an NSX and 911. The nose of the NSX is nonexistent when your are driving. The road seems to come right up to just over the steering wheel. Hell, if you were in the area I'd let you try mine. Guys are getting 200K and 300K out of these engines. Not many Ferraris or Lambos can make that claim. I feel the styling still kicks a$$. It gets a lot of stares. The SC400 styling is one of the best ever too. I think Lexus could re-release that same style again, and it still would look great. It's timeless. If you are going the FI route, I would recommend the Comptech supercharger. It doesn't void out any warranties with Honda, and they have made it for a long time. They also make it where you can still store the targa roof over the engine. That may not be important to you, but it is to me. Lastly, go to nsxprime.com and look at the FAQ section. It is a VERY good website and will answer any questions about the NSX. There were only 8,000 NSXs sold in the US in 15 years. You won't see yourself coming and going much. Good luck. What a great dilemma to have: NSX or 911. Please post what you decided.
Old 02-01-06, 09:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Thanks so much guys for your comments so far...Please continue...This is a great thread...Lots of useful opinions and thoughts. I was leaning towards the 911, but now maybe I do want that NSX with the Comptech Whipple on it...And, being able to fit the Targa top over the engine will be important to me. Plus, I have a very dear friend that is NSX certified and trained on the car, all model years made...And he can fix, repair, and replace anything. In fact, Comptech has recommended to owners in Florida to take the car to him to have them installed, that is until he got fed up with the service dept at Courtesy, and left them to work for Porsche...So, no matter which car I buy, he is factory trained, and one of the best to work on these cars, in fact, he is the only one besides Lexus that has ever worked on my SC, except for me, and Scott (KI Soarer on this forum). Wish he was a fabricator, my TT project on my SC would have been done months ago...

I love both sports cars...tough decision, problem in driving an NSX is finding one on a lot...they are rare indeed. I like the 911, but the I hardly ever see an NSX on the road...And I am insulted by anyone that states the NSX is a poor mans Ferrari...I totally disagree. You can't afford an NSX if you are poor...You just have to be richer to afford a Ferrari...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 02-01-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-01-06, 10:24 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

The new supercharger from Comptech has a new autorotor that replaces the Lycholm/Whipple unit. I think they said 10-15% more HP from that. It's also has easier serviceability as well. Check out scienceofspeed.com to hear some nice exhaust sounds from the NSX. The NSXPO is coming to Orlando next fall. There will be 120+ NSXs there. I'm sure someone will let you ride/drive theirs. That may be too far off, but it is a neat event seeing all those NSXs together. You might go on to prime and just ask someone in your area if you can go for a ride in their NSX. They are very nice people on that forum.
Old 02-01-06, 03:20 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

I changed my mind, although a hard decision, i'd go with the NSX, theres just something about the way that thing looks and the fact that I've only seen like 4 in my life.
Old 02-01-06, 04:27 PM
GeIS300
Driver

If you go to the regional forums in NSX Prime, the FL folks have frequent meets.
Some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people I've met on the net.

Doc C got me all excited about going to the NSXPO2006! Orlando and Sebring speedway should be a blast!

One more data point: The NSX's design inspiration is the F-16.

GeIS300
Old 02-02-06, 12:07 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Well Gang, I found a dealership with a 95 NSX Targa with standard shift, and a 01 911 Carrera Cabriolet, I was surprised at the quietness of the Cabriolet with the top up, and the wind churn in the cabin was minimal, even on the freeway at 85 mph...Fantastic car!!!

I loved the NSX, but it is underpowered a bit, and it is tiny in the cockpit...I am 6' tall and I have "tall" hair, so it is like I am really almost 6'2", and my hair was scrubbing the roof badly. I even wacked the side of my head on the window pillar when I reached for the seatbelt. Getting in and out of the car is like lying down first, and sliding in place. Once in, the cockpit is very snug, comfortable, but very snug. The passenger side is pure misery for anyone with any height at all.

I have made my decision, definitely the Porsche...

Thanks Guys...

Ryan
Old 02-02-06, 01:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400T
Well Gang, I found a dealership with a 95 NSX Targa with standard shift, and a 01 911 Carrera Cabriolet, I was surprised at the quietness of the Cabriolet with the top up, and the wind churn in the cabin was minimal, even on the freeway at 85 mph...Fantastic car!!!

I loved the NSX, but it is underpowered a bit, and it is tiny in the cockpit...I am 6' tall and I have "tall" hair, so it is like I am really almost 6'2", and my hair was scrubbing the roof badly. I even wacked the side of my head on the window pillar when I reached for the seatbelt. Getting in and out of the car is like lying down first, and sliding in place. Once in, the cockpit is very snug, comfortable, but very snug. The passenger side is pure misery for anyone with any height at all.

I have made my decision, definitely the Porsche...

Thanks Guys...

Ryan
haha i know what you mean on the entry and exit part of the nsx. i am ONLY 5'7", and i had trouble getting in and out of the nsx too. definitely need some getting used to!
Old 02-02-06, 08:34 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude I just got my nsx out of the body shop after it got stolen in Sept. my previous login name was Rogers. Moving on
It was a very bad experience for me. I really don't know why it took so long for them to fix my car but I’m **** about my car and the Acura dealership in Bethesda or some lazy ****ers. For the past month I have been telling myself I was going to sell her as soon as I got her back. Man as soon as I turn the key at the Acura dealership I fell back in love with her. As I redline to 8K on the highway I see people staring but I just don't give a ****. It's 11:30pm and I can't sleep b/c I want jump back in my car for another ride. Man the nsx is definitely my dream car. Around 12:30am I'll probably go downstairs and wax her up for the weekend. My girlfriend ask me to come over to night. I immediately said honey not the night I have some work to do. If only she knew I just don't want leave my car tonight.
Old 02-02-06, 11:24 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=GeIS300

One more data point: The NSX's design inspiration is the F-16.

GeIS300[/QUOTE]

Yes it was. I had an opportunity to photo mine next to the F-16 on the flight line at Kirkland AFB. It was awesome. I hope the photo shows up. I've never put in a photo before.
Attached Thumbnails Comparison:  Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX-0.jpg  
Old 02-03-06, 02:04 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FYI, NSX coupes have a little more head room...

For 996's, make sure to check for the dreaded RMS (rear main seal) leak. It's common in 996's, and it's an expensive fix. What sucks is that fixing it once does not ensure it won't happen again. Make sure you find one that has not had an RMS leak (no guarantee it won't leak in the future, but chances are less than one that has had the problem).

I guess the NSX equivalent is the dreaded snap-ring failure in 91-92 manual trannys. You need to check the serial number on the tranny to make sure it's not within the defective range. This fix is also pricey.

Otherwise, both are great cars. The Elise, as someone suggested, is also a blast to drive. However, if you think the NSX has a spartan interior, wait until you drive an Elise. The NSX is a Lexus in comparison. And trunk space? Maybe a backpack.

As for me, I haven't driven a more confidence inspiring car than the NSX. But if interior space is a concern, then the 996 is the better choice.
Old 02-03-06, 03:41 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1

I guess the NSX equivalent is the dreaded snap-ring failure in 91-92 manual trannys. You need to check the serial number on the tranny to make sure it's not within the defective range. This fix is also pricey.

Otherwise, both are great cars. The Elise, as someone suggested, is also a blast to drive. However, if you think the NSX has a spartan interior, wait until you drive an Elise. The NSX is a Lexus in comparison. And trunk space? Maybe a backpack.

As for me, I haven't driven a more confidence inspiring car than the NSX. But if interior space is a concern, then the 996 is the better choice.

The snap ring is a concern. I guess you could turn a negative into a positive if your snap ring does fail though. The snap ring in my 92 was repaired as a goodwill by Acura. At that time the JDM short gears and NSX-R 4.235 ring and pinion was put in along with the new transmission casing. Once properl fixed you don't have to worry about snap ring failure anymore

Quick Reply: Comparison: Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX