Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Toyota to join Nextel Cup in '07

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 11:34 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts
Default IT'S OFFICIAL: Toyota to join Nextel Cup in '07

End the speculation. Toyota will race in Nextel Cup events beginning in 2007, becoming the first foreign competitor in NASCAR's top stock car series since the 1950s.

The Japanese automaker will also run the Busch Series races after the 2006 season, joining Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge.

"Toyota has been an important part of the U.S. motorsports community for almost 25 years," Toyota senior vice president and chief planning officer Dave Illingworth said. "We've competed and won in different series and on tracks across America.

"Toyota drivers and teams have won championships in a variety of different series. But if you want to compete against the best in America, that means NASCAR," he said.

The last foreign manufacturer to participate in NASCAR's top racing series was Jaguar, which entered several races in the 1950s.

The move by Toyota was not a complete surprise. The company moved into NASCAR's Craftsman Truck Series in 2004 and quickly became competitive, with Travis Kvapil giving the manufacturer its first win in July of that year.

Toyota raced in several American-based sports car series before moving into open-wheel racing in 1996.

After providing engines for several teams in what was then the CART series from 1996 to 2002, Toyota moved to the rival Indy Racing League, where it won 17 races, including four last year. The highlight for Toyota came when one of its engines powered Gil de Ferran to a victory in the 2003 Indianapolis 500.

The company was scheduled to continue to supply engines for IRL teams through 2006 but decided over the winter to withdraw immediately to concentrate on developing its NASCAR program, leaving Honda, its Japan competitor, as the IRL's only engine supplier for the upcoming season.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

Move to Press Box if need be.
Old 01-23-06, 11:50 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't even front, I luaghed when I read this earlier.

I don't follow Nascar at all for various reasons, but congrats to Toyota for being the first foreign make to enter Nascar since the 1950's.
Old 01-23-06, 12:06 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought I'd say it...I may become a NASCAR fan. Toyota...
Old 01-23-06, 12:43 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112

I can't even front, I luaghed when I read this earlier.

I don't follow Nascar at all for various reasons, but congrats to Toyota for being the first foreign make to enter Nascar since the 1950's.
That back end looks funky...
Old 01-23-06, 12:49 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All Nextel Cup cars have that High rear quarter. Don't know the exact reason why, but they are all like that.
Old 01-23-06, 01:34 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one badass Camry...

BTW, is it common for FWD cars to participate in NASCAR (judging from the staggered setup in the pic)? I've never followed NASCAR myself so I have no idea.
Old 01-23-06, 01:52 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
That's one badass Camry...

BTW, is it common for FWD cars to participate in NASCAR (judging from the staggered setup in the pic)? I've never followed NASCAR myself so I have no idea.
The original car platform can be FWD, but no Nextel Cup car is FWD. Remember, under the marginally stock looking body is a chassis and engine that are light years away from stock. All cars are V-8 powered with carberators and are RWD.

The current Dodge body used is a FWD in production.
Old 01-23-06, 01:59 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The original car platform can be FWD, but no Nextel Cup car is FWD. Remember, under the marginally stock looking body is a chassis and engine that are light years away from stock. All cars are V-8 powered with carberators and are RWD.

The current Dodge body used is a FWD in production.
Ah I see thanks. The wheels in the pic look staggered probably only because of the camera angle.
Old 01-23-06, 02:37 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I read in a separate article that said although Toyota's stock car engine will produce less power than it's american competitors, it is slated for at least an extra 10 laps in fuel. An interesting strategy I suppose, relying on continuity more so than straight power.
Old 01-23-06, 03:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
I read in a separate article that said although Toyota's stock car engine will produce less power than it's american competitors, it is slated for at least an extra 10 laps in fuel. An interesting strategy I suppose, relying on continuity more so than straight power.
LOL....always trying to save fuel. Even on the race track.
Old 01-23-06, 03:58 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL....always trying to save fuel. Even on the race track.
That should be interesting. They should have the EPA test the fuel economy
Old 01-23-06, 05:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Toyota launches Cup car
AutoWeek | Published 01/23/06, 12:38 pm et

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip and rival owner Doug Bawel have forged a partnership that likely will become part of Toyota’s 2007 entry into Nextel Cup. The new Waltrip-Jasper Racing Inc. will use Bill Davis Racing for cars, engines, technology and personnel for their new Dodge-based (for now) team.

It will carry 77, the number Bawel and Roger Penske used with rookie Travis Kvapil last year. When they shut down, it temporarily moved Morgan/McClure’s No. 4 team from 36th in owner point to 35th. That’s important because last year’s top-35 teams get guaranteed spots in this year’s first five races. The rebirth of Bawel’s 77 team means Morgan/McClure returns to 36th and must qualify for anything it gets to start the season.

Waltrip left Dale Earnhardt Inc. to drive No. 55 Dodges (now, No. 77) for Davis. It’s a foregone conclusion that Bill Davis Racing will switch its Cup cars from Dodge to Toyota next year. (It will continue to field Toyota Tundras in the Craftsman Series). It was thought that Waltrip and Dave Blaney would be part of Davis’s historic change next year, but it now appears that Waltrip and Bawel will field two Toyota Camrys and Davis will field two others. It has also been suggested that Darrell Waltrip (another Tundra team owner) might also field a two-Camry Cup team.

Toyota officials attended the recent Car of Tomorrow tests at Daytona International Speedway, the first time they were invited to attend a NASCAR prototype test. Although neither NASCAR nor Toyota had officially acknowledged the long-anticipated announcement as we went to press, at least one major manufacturer had opinions about the arrival.

“It’s going to bring in more fans and possibly more sponsors,” said Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing. “Anytime you have more energy coming forth with another manufacturer, it’s a good thing. The only thing you have to worry about is that there’s a reasonable balance. Does something get out of control or does something occur which upsets the apple cart in total? From pure competition, no problem; it’ll be fun. As far as off-track things and that sort of stuff, we’ll see. In trucks, we certainly welcomed them. They’re doing a good job and we expect them to do a good job in Cup, but Cup is kind of where we would like to draw a line in the sand.”

Ford driver Greg Biffle is certain Toyota will be successful in Cup, since it has been successful everywhere else. “They’ll be a force to be reckoned with, successful in Cup,” he said. “I don’t know how long it’ll take, but it’ll probably take a little longer than they expect. It was the same thing with Dodge when they came in, but I guess it’s good for competition. I don’t have anything against foreign makers, but I didn’t think I’d see them in [Cup] as long as I was racing. I really didn’t. I was shocked when they came into the truck series, but I think NASCAR is doing what they need to build our series.”

Long-time Ford team owner Robert Yates had some words of caution: “We welcome them, but I’m more worried about how we manufacture in this country and how we can compete against them on the street.” he said. “Our whole point is to race on Sunday and sell on Monday, so I want to make sure we kick their butt. I’m sure they want to kick ours, but I think NASCAR handles the competition side so we can be competitive. We just need to have good business models at Ford and GM so we can compete on the street.”
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60123006/1001
Old 01-23-06, 10:20 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
All Nextel Cup cars have that High rear quarter. Don't know the exact reason why, but they are all like that.
If I recall correctly, it's because the body is basically a sheet metal shell and you don't want much material in the back to catch air passing under the car and create drag. That's why I always laugh when I see Hondas or Acuras with the aftermarket rear bumpers that extend almost to the ground.

Yes, I'll admit that I love NASCAR.

Last edited by cal_alum98; 01-23-06 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 10:23 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I for one would love to see an 800HP Camry.
Old 01-23-06, 11:00 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

im actually kinda disappointed in their move of dropping out of the IRL and instead concentrating on NASCAR. i personally thing that nascar is boring, i do watch it on occassion but i think indy racings is more interesting and requires a greater deal of skill, not saying that NASCAR is easy, but most NASCAR drivers hate road courses. But good luck to Toyota i think they'll do well

Quick Reply: IT'S OFFICIAL: Toyota to join Nextel Cup in '07