Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Toyota RAV4 In-Depth - Rated top SUV by Consumer Reports Latest Testing . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 07:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 193 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 2006 Toyota RAV4 In-Depth - Rated top SUV by Consumer Reports Latest Testing . . .

More pics & long article HERE
Old 01-20-06, 10:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was always a fan of the Rav4 for it's youth and fresh approach into the market. This definately is much better than the old model in styling. Hopefully, the performance also goes up a notch not just in hp but also handling and comfort.
Old 01-20-06, 10:51 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Hopefully, the performance also goes up a notch not just in hp but also handling and comfort.
Don't think you need to just hope.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190106
Old 01-20-06, 12:56 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

All of the sudden the Rav 4 and the Yaris had sex and this came out

Old 01-20-06, 01:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

BTW - this article is about European version, which is slightly smaller and has more options, plus nicer interior. Of course, it is also more expensive.
Old 01-20-06, 01:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
BTW - this article is about European version, which is slightly smaller and has more options, plus nicer interior. Of course, it is also more expensive.
No wonder it's got the nav option. I wonder what makes Toyota so conservative about putting nav in the lower-end of their product line-up IN AMERICA. Are Americans considered so technology-challenged by them? The nav option that was once available in the Matrix AWD got pulled too. And Japan is now mandating that all new cars be equipped with nav?? This is just sad.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-20-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
No wonder it's got the nav option. I wonder what makes Toyota so conservative about putting nav in the lower-end of their product line-up IN AMERICA. Are Americans considered so technology-challenged by them? The nav option that was once available in the Matrix AWD got pulled too. And Japan is now mandating that all new cars be equipped with nav?? This is just sad.
i would think its $$$. Europeans are ready to pay more for Rav4. Also, there are some reports than MY 2007 Rav4 will have bluetooth (which usually means NAV) in US as well. T is probably waiting for highlander update for 2007.
Old 01-20-06, 02:08 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents just went looking at the Rav4, they set out after a V6 but it isn't available until the spring so they test drove an '06 4 cyl and they thought it was junk. Road noise was horrible. They went with a Highlander instead, haven't gone over there to check it out yet but they really like it.
Old 01-20-06, 02:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
With the LWB version doing 0-60 in 6.3s and 0.83g in skidpad, I wonder how much better the SWB version can do.
Old 01-20-06, 05:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
With the LWB version doing 0-60 in 6.3s and 0.83g in skidpad, I wonder how much better the SWB version can do.
you see, while you guys didnt get nav, we didnt get V6 :-). We will trade NAV for V6 at any time :-).
Old 01-20-06, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Rav4 is probably considered more up market in Europe than it is here so they offer stuff like nav to justify the high price. But V-6 is probably out to keep fuel economy up since gas is so insanely expensive.

spwolf - isn't something like the Rav4 kinda crippled in Europe because it's not offered with diesel?
Old 06-20-06, 07:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 193 Likes on 132 Posts
Default New Toyota RAV4 rated top SUV by Consumer Reports

June 21, 2006

Toyota RAV4 V6.

Yonkers, New York - The recently-redesigned Toyota RAV4 emerged as the top-rated SUV in Consumer Reports' latest testing, to be published in its July 2006 issue. The 2007 RAV4 earned an "Excellent" overall rating surpassing such highly-rated vehicles as the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester. The Forester had been a Top Pick in the company's April auto issue.

"The redesigned RAV4 tops its class with either the standard four-cylinder engine or the optional V6 powerplant," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center. "With the optional third-row seat and the V6 engine, the RAV4 is a good alternative to some more expensive mid-sized SUVs."

The test group included a total of eight vehicles: four-cylinder and V6-powered versions of the RAV4, the Subaru Forester, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, V6 and V8 versions of the Ford Explorer, a V8-powered Jeep Commander and V8-powered Chevrolet Tahoe. The four-cylinder RAV4 scored "Very Good", slightly lower than the V6 version; the freshened Subaru Forester rated "Very Good" overall but posted a slightly lower score than the previously-tested model. The Grand Vitara, both Explorers, the Commander and the Tahoe posted "Good" overall scores, which the magazine calls "lackluster".

Consumer Reports recommends three vehicles in the group: both versions of the RAV4, and the Forester. The magazine only recommends vehicles that have performed well in its tests, have at least average predicted reliability based on a survey of subscribers, and have performed at least adequately if crash-tested or included in a government rollover test. The Grand Vitara, Commander and Tahoe were considered too new to judge their reliability, and reliability for the Explorer has been "sub-par".

source : canadiandriver
Old 06-20-06, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

A vehicle with a heavy awkward spare tire on the rear door, an awkward, inconvenient side opening rear door, nothing special capacity or interior. The Rav4 does though have the nice V6 option, expected excellent reliability, and good looks.

Toyota makes excellent quality vehicles. But Consumer Reports is ridiculously biased.

Check out this list and what gets the red check or circled red check.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...to-z-index.htm

If it's made by Toyota or Subaru, it's going to get the seal of approval.

But so does the BMW M3, and X3.

Strangely the Toyota Camry doesn't (maybe the new model hasn't been tested), but the Echo? Come on.

I do love Toyota, but this is another award and list from Consumer Reports to take with a huge grain of salt.
Old 06-21-06, 03:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A vehicle with a heavy awkward spare tire on the rear door, an awkward, inconvenient side opening rear door, nothing special capacity or interior. The Rav4 does though have the nice V6 option, expected excellent reliability, and good looks.

Toyota makes excellent quality vehicles. But Consumer Reports is ridiculously biased.

Check out this list and what gets the red check or circled red check.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...to-z-index.htm

If it's made by Toyota or Subaru, it's going to get the seal of approval.

But so does the BMW M3, and X3.

Strangely the Toyota Camry doesn't (maybe the new model hasn't been tested), but the Echo? Come on.

I do love Toyota, but this is another award and list from Consumer Reports to take with a huge grain of salt.
huh? compared to its class, Rav4 has a lot more room, a lot bigger trunk (due to tire on the door), it getts better MPG with V6 than any of its competitors ( a lot better!). It won every comparo in every German magazine there is. Car and Driver was estatic about it.

Tire on the door has been SUV thing for a long time. It enables Rav4 to have extra low trunk floor - much, much, much more usable than Tucson's trunk and even Santa Fe's (both hatchbacks).

A lot of people complain about side door on the forums, but I find it natural. We never had any Rav4 customer complain about it either...

Plus, sales surge of 100% over the last model, and unavailability of Rav4 throughout the world, where there are waiting lists for it, quite honestly proves CR :-). In Europe, I can not promise my customers that their Rav4 will be delivered this year anymore.

World has gone crazy about Rav4.
Old 06-21-06, 04:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I owned a 98. Wow, how far they have come.
CV

Quick Reply: 2006 Toyota RAV4 In-Depth - Rated top SUV by Consumer Reports Latest Testing . . .