Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chris bangle praise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 03:32 PM
LexFather

Does anyone even know how Chris Bangle got his way to destroy BMWs beautiful cars?

The head designer for BMW (whom gave us ALL the classics of the 80s and 90s), well he didn't like his son too much. To make a long story short, he murdered his son and well, went to prison.

This opened the door for Bangle to just fudge up the current BMW line.

I am going to look for the article to scan for everyone.

I will say, that is these cars WERE NOT BADGED BMWS, they would sit and rust on car lots. This badge is so powerful, people will buy them pretty much no matter what they look like.

The thing I am finding is, all the previous BMW owners don't like the new cars looks inside and out. BMW has attracted many NEW owners with their new style, as they like the new BMWs and thought all BMWs with the 1 style, 3 size look, was bland.

Overall, Bangle gets credit for taking BMW stylistically off the chart! Outside teh M-1, BMW has never looked so different. He broke their mold and basically safe styling. And BMWs still look like BMWs, double kidney grill, the hoffmeister kink, and now the backpack trunks.

Its not like they are not selling these cars, they still sell like hotcakes

Old 01-15-06, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think it's time to rest this subject about the Bangle designs. The public has spoken with more 7 series sales than any other previous 7 model. The 6 series is winning hearts everywhere. Style preferences are subjective but obviously, a great many people like what BMW is doing. Bangle probably had little to do with the idrive, probably some whipper snapper engineer is responsible for that. Probably blame Bangle for signing off on it. Bottom line is it doen't look like BMW sales are in decline and several other marques are copying the Bangle butt. Enough said.
while 7 series sold more than old, it is not saying much. It sold less than LS or S class, which is important measurments. Do you see 5 series or 3 series selling less than GS, IS, C class or E class in the USA? Nope.
Old 01-15-06, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The head designer for BMW (whom gave us ALL the classics of the 80s and 90s), well he didn't like his son too much. To make a long story short, he murdered his son and well, went to prison.
Are you serious? I was not aware of that...or maybe just forgot. I know there is sometimes corruption in the auto industry, but this would be an extreme case.
Old 01-15-06, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Like I've said and I'll say it again. Hopping in the car and expecting to like the i-Drive is unrealistic. Spend a while getting used to your environment, use the i-Drive for a few days and you will likely have a far different opinion. Get back to me when you can dial any entry from your phone book, control every feature of your NAV system while you are moving by using i-Drive or voice commands (without remembering silly key presses and/or cutting wires)

Also, when you can change lighting, vent and unlock settings without visiting the dealer.

IMHO The new LS460 is a major ripoff of the E60 (side profile) and E65 (rear profile) I still appreciate Lexus, but I'm not blinded like many here...

we are all blinded, errr influenced by what we like. I might be blinded by Toyota and I admit it, at the same time, you are blinded by BMW.
Old 01-16-06, 09:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Does anyone even know how Chris Bangle got his way to destroy BMWs beautiful cars?

This opened the door for Bangle to just fudge up the current BMW line.

I am going to look for the article to scan for everyone.

I will say, that is these cars WERE NOT BADGED BMWS, they would sit and rust on car lots. This badge is so powerful, people will buy them pretty much no matter what they look like.

The thing I am finding is, all the previous BMW owners don't like the new cars looks inside and out. BMW has attracted many NEW owners with their new style, as they like the new BMWs and thought all BMWs with the 1 style, 3 size look, was bland.

Overall, Bangle gets credit for taking BMW stylistically off the chart! Outside teh M-1, BMW has never looked so different. He broke their mold and basically safe styling. And BMWs still look like BMWs, double kidney grill, the hoffmeister kink, and now the backpack trunks.

Its not like they are not selling these cars, they still sell like hotcakes
i like how you put it 1sick, i always had my eye on a 7 series when i got my first car.I loved the reclining backseats and my first choice was a 755 i think(is that even a model) but that fell through so i ended up getting a 91 ls and i haven t looked back since, but i was blown away by the complete redesign of the 7 and I love it, bangle butt and all, plus i see them all over the place in NYC
Old 01-16-06, 12:24 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand the way BMW's have looked in recent years. I used to lust after them now they are an eye sore to me. I even shun cars that incorporate similar design features, like the Acura TL, that body crease the runs from the front of the car to the back .

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/acur...2F024655-T.jpg

Last edited by toy4two; 01-16-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 02:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you serious? I was not aware of that...or maybe just forgot. I know there is sometimes corruption in the auto industry, but this would be an extreme case.
this is still on my 2 do list. I am going to post the scan. Its very sad

Old 01-17-06, 02:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
I can't stand the way BMW's have looked in recent years. I used to lust after them now they are an eye sore to me. I even shun cars that incorporate similar design features, like the Acura TL, that body crease the runs from the front of the car to the back .

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/acur...2F024655-T.jpg
so i guess the ls460 is on your list also
Old 01-17-06, 02:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think it's time to rest this subject about the Bangle designs. The public has spoken with more 7 series sales than any other previous 7 model. The 6 series is winning hearts everywhere. Style preferences are subjective but obviously, a great many people like what BMW is doing. Bangle probably had little to do with the idrive, probably some whipper snapper engineer is responsible for that. Probably blame Bangle for signing off on it. Bottom line is it doen't look like BMW sales are in decline and several other marques are copying the Bangle butt. Enough said.
I can agree. When the 7 first came out I was dismayed. I too jumped on the hate Bangle badwagon because I loved the way BMWs looked before. When the 5 came out I thought it looked ugly since I thought the E39 was one of the nicest BMWs out there period. Now, I still think the 5 is a little odd, but not ugly and I personally would drive one. It has grown on my a bit especially when modified. The upgraded 7 over all looks very nice. The trunk area is still a bit bothersome for me, but over all the new 5 and 7 cars are great that I can overlook the trunk area when viewing the entire car. The 6 is simply awsome. I also really like the E90 3 series much more than even the E46 now.
Old 01-17-06, 04:53 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

And this is coming from? An armchair quarterback with a pile of magazines? I have personally owned more Lexus vehicles and will likely own more than you will ever own. I laugh at the guys that sit back and profess their expertise from what they read in magazines or the internet.

I'm a Lexus owner, but I have an open mind to other vehicles, it's not all about the kool-aid
lol. your favorite quote about other cars used to be "blah blah blah, its not a lexus" haha. and now that u own one of those bangled up abominations you tell others to open their minds? haha. like 1sick said, if that roundel wasnt there theyd be rusting in dealer lots. pontiac might as well wholesale their azteks to bmw and have them rebadged. you could add that to your stable.
Old 01-17-06, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Come on, guys....we may all not agree with genearch's views on the new BMW's and I-Drive ( I certainly don't ) ....but even if we disagree with him, let's at least show him some respect as a moderator. I expect some courtesy from people even if they disagree with me....which they sometimes do......and I try to return it to others as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-06 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-18-06, 06:02 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, guys....we may all not agree with genearch's views on the new BMW's and I-Drive ( I certainly don't ) ....but even if we disagree with him, let's at least show him some respect as a moderator. I expect some courtesy from people even if they disagree with me....which they sometimes do......and I try to return it to others as well.
my first search of this gene guy came up with this
this is what i was referring toa about his attitude.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=lexus
moderator or whatever i think its funny how now he bashes on lexus and thinks bmw is god. lol.
so why cant we say we think the bmw's are ugly just cause this moderator has one. haha.
ok gene, your 6 is pretty man. and the i drive is the smartest thing ever invented
btw im not usually into bashing but im just giving some of his usual attitude right back. holla!
Old 01-18-06, 06:19 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
my first search of this gene guy came up with this
this is what i was referring toa about his attitude.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=lexus
moderator or whatever i think its funny how now he bashes on lexus and thinks bmw is god. lol.
so why cant we say we think the bmw's are ugly just cause this moderator has one. haha.
ok gene, your 6 is pretty man. and the i drive is the smartest thing ever invented
btw im not usually into bashing but im just giving some of his usual attitude right back. holla!

Not taking sides, but if you read further, he was bashing MB as well (poor dealership experience, etc). Gene was probably looking at the chart and noticed that BMw is above the mark of MB for reliability and the standard as well.

to go with this thread...I would say I prefer the e39 5 series....the new 5, 6, and 7 have all grown on me, and I would definitely consider one of each for the stable (after I get my next sports car)
Old 01-18-06, 06:39 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

does the 650 cost over 100k?
Old 01-18-06, 08:20 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

holla...
guess you wouldnt understand but its ok. i assume youre a bit older.
anyway, its all good man. i just found it amusing how your whole "lexus is god" attitude has changed over to bmw. thats all.
and like i said that was the first search i found. maybe you guys can do a search on gene and "well it not a lexus" or now "well its no bmw"
peace