Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 12:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr

http://www.lincoln.com/zephyr/home.asp

Seems to be lots of interest lately....both on and off CL......in the new Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr triplets, so, as I had already stated that I would look at them, I popped by the Lincoln-Mercury store today to check them out. I had already seen, not test-driven, the Fusion and Milan elsewhere but not the Zephyr. So most of my time today, (and the test-drive) was spent with the Zephyr. Of the three cars, I felt that the Zephyr would be of most interest to the typical CL member reading this....more so then the cheaper Fusion and Milan.....and, not surprisingly, the Zephyr was clearly, IMO, the best-looking of the three, inside and out.
So....here's my report:

Model Driven:

2006 Lincoln Zephyr
MSRP (including freight) $30,995.
3.0L V6, 6-speed automatic.
Exterior: Black
Interior: light cream leather

PLUSSES:

Competitive price ( base $26,990 )

CLASSY interior

Reasonably tight body structure

Well-refined and fairly isolated interior...not as well-isolated as Town Car.

Somewhat conservative but still attractive color choices

Console-mounted parking brake...the only one in the Lincoln-Mercury line except for brother Milan.

4 year / 50,000 mile warranty instead of 3 / 36 like Ford and Mercury products.

AWD model on the horizon.

Plenty of head and leg room inside on the base model.

Large, superb, well-shaped, no-nonsense taillights...some of the best I have seen.

Choice of keyless-entry or door push-pad numbers....both combined.

MINUSES:

Dummy wheel and spare tire instead of real ones.

Poorly and cheaply-chromed, rigid, nonfolding outside mirrors.

Too much road noise....and a less-than-smooth ride over bumps.

Flat, non-supportive, leather power bucket front seats.

3.0L V6 engine almost impossible to work on from above.

Second-rate paint job ( in the domestic-car tradition )....too much orange peel.

Front-drive fine for normal driving and winter traction but not for hard, sport-sedan driving.

Interior hardware classy in looks but mixed in quality...some well-done, others cheap and flimsy.

OK...the first impresion one gets of this car is that it is a modern, up-to-date, more economical and agile Lincoln with the classic 60's interior......something that the last smaller Lincoln...the LS....didn't have. Ordinarily.....me being Mr. Practical......I don't usually recommend higher-priced cars over less-expensive corporate brothers but in the case of the Zephyr, I'm going to make an exception......IMO the interior alone on this car, with its classy, squared-off sections and well-finished look, is worth the $5000-$8000 premuim over its less expensive Fusion and Milan cousins. In many ways the interior combines the '60's Lincoln look I grew up with modern ( but rather flat and unsupportive, especially for a guy my size ) bucket seats. The circular air vents were well-designed, with the Pontiac-style circular twirl motion but with hinged, adjustable slats, and had a nice, firm, well-crafted feel....unusual in a Ford product. The 4-spoke steering wheel ( with wheel-mounted buttons, of course) was rather unusual...the leather was on the top and bottom, with the real ( highly polished ) wood at the three and nine-o'clock position on the sides. Lincoln says its research shows customers prefer the wood on the sides rather than the top and don't like gripping the wood for actually steering.
Ordinarily I am not a fan of highly polished wood ( I like flat-matte wood surfaces) but it looks really nice in the Zephyr...ditto for the wood strips on the doors and lower dash. Light-color birchwood ( like in some Volvos ) is also available if desired. Almost everything about the interior looks classy and well-done (unlike the Lincoln LS )....I was very impressed with it, except for some of the dash-mount switches for the headlights and the power-window switches, which felt cheesy in the Ford tradition....and the left-hand stalk for the turn-signals, which was mounted at an odd up-angle which made one think it was stuck in the right-turn position....this took some getting used to, but had a nice, Japanese-precision feel to it.

There is plenty of room inside even for my 6' 2" and 275-lb. frame. Base models without the sunroof and NAV systems ( there are no separate Zephyr model lines as such) have PLENTY of headroom and well-designed, rotary-**** , simple-to-use radio and clear, simple dual-climate controls. More expensive models with sunroof and NAV systems suffer a little loss of headroom but still are not bad at all in that regard.....and my big frame is a good judge of that. NAV models, however, like many similiar cars, have more-complex radio controls.....you will have to get the Owners' Manual out.

On the road...the 3.0L 4-valve Duratec V6's power level, with its 205 ft.-lbs. of torque, was fine if you don't plan to go drag-racing on Friday nights....but this engine is NOT for do-it-yourselfers. With its plastic upper shield and general design, you can reach almost nothing from above, which means a trip to the shop or car ramps for just about everything. The front-drive, 6-speed automatic shifted smoothly and quietly and kicked down readily....( again, as always, not over 4000 RPM with a new car ). The engine was quiet except for moderate-to hard acceleration, when a distinctive sport-sedan-growl could be heard. The ride was a little on the firm side for my tastes....primarily due to the 50-series 17" tires ( all else equal, I generally don't like anything under a 55-60 series ), and tire and road noise distinctly made its presence known on many surfaces.....IMO the car could use a little more insulation underneath. No problems with the 4-wheel disc brakes.....smooth, liner feel, light-to-moderate effort.....none of that Mercedes brake-by-wire no-feel crap. Handling, likewise, for a front-drive car, was exemplary ( perhaps due to the same low-profile tires that gave a less-than-perfect ride ) but the steering, like many other Ford products, felt too light and overboosted for my tastes, without much on-centering feel.

I definitely want to go back and drive the AWD model when it becomes available. IMO it will be a good domestic competitor to the new Lexus IS250 AWD....though the IS no doubt has somewhat better materials and build quality, and probably an even stiffer ride with its 45-series tires.

So.......here's my overall take in a nutshell:

This is a well-executed, competitively-priced small-to-medium-sized luxury sedan with a touch of sport in its suspension and tires, a true luxury-sedan inside in looks and ( in some things ) feel. It will not compete with rear-drive sport sedans in hard-edged performance....don't look for any BMW M-type track numbers here.....but the up side to that, of course, is better traction with the front-drive....and the promise of even better traction on the horizon with the upcoming AWD version.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-05 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 01:04 PM
LexFather

Great write-up again! So it seems you wer[IMG]e somewhat impressed, especially at the price point? I see it more as Acura TSX competition before IS/3/ES competiton. It seems to have really good space. I'll post some pics of the interior you like

Old 11-05-05, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Mike....that captures the spirit of it.

You're correct that it competes, price-wise, more with the TSX....but its execution is more in line with the IS250 and IS250 AWD. It is definitely not competition...at least in the drivetrain.....for the 306 HP IS350.
Old 11-05-05, 01:50 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup. These have been on sale for awhile, no? Any indication of how they're doing?
Old 11-05-05, 02:39 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the tails. The front is a cool new look for Lincolns although very different from what I'm used to seeing. The interior is really nice. The wood looks like it's freshly cut and varnished. The console is a bit boxy but it flows well with the inside and outside of the car. Overall pretty good execution but probably not in my mind for a buy.
I'd say it would be good competition for the ES.
Old 11-05-05, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I for one find the exterior very fugly. The interior is nice and different. The rest of the taurus drivetrain sucks
Old 11-05-05, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I for one find the exterior very fugly. The interior is nice and different. The rest of the taurus drivetrain sucks
Taurus drivetrain? No, Och...not quite. NO production Taurus ever built ever had a 6-speed automatic like this car....or even a 5-speed.
Old 11-05-05, 04:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Taurus drivetrain? No, Och...not quite. NO production Taurus ever built ever had a 6-speed automatic like this car....or even a 5-speed.
Well, I guess a close ratio 6 speed isn't a bad idea when paired with a motor that produces very little torque. But essentially, It's still similar to taurus, 3.0 v6 (duratec i assume?), FWD. Not my cup of tea.
Old 11-05-05, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I guess a close ratio 6 speed isn't a bad idea when paired with a motor that produces very little torque. But essentially, It's still similar to taurus, 3.0 v6 (duratec i assume?), FWD. Not my cup of tea.
Yes, the engine is similiar to the 3.0 Taurus V6. 205 ft.-lbs, though while not earth-shattering and certainly not in sport-sedan territory, is not too bad for a car of this size and weight. It will get out of its own way. FWD, I agree, is not everyone's cup of tea. Some people would rather have the handling, braking, ease of maintenance, and tire wear advantages of RWD as opposed to FWD's greater traction, space efficiency, and lighter weight.
Old 11-05-05, 05:25 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

I actually like it alot! Not something i'd drive, but it's decent eye appealing to me from the pictures. Lincoln's are beautiful cars, and are the second most reliable luxury cars, next to lexus.
Old 11-05-05, 05:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the engine is similiar to the 3.0 Taurus V6. 205 ft.-lbs, though while not earth-shattering and certainly not in sport-sedan territory, is not too bad for a car of this size and weight. It will get out of its own way. FWD, I agree, is not everyone's cup of tea. Some people would rather have the handling, braking, ease of maintenance, and tire wear advantages of RWD as opposed to FWD's greater traction, space efficiency, and lighter weight.
I don't really have a problem with FWD, but if it rides anything like Taurus, no thanks
Old 11-05-05, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikeyboy
I actually like it alot! Not something i'd drive, but it's decent eye appealing to me from the pictures. Lincoln's are beautiful cars, and are the second most reliable luxury cars, next to lexus.
Depends on what source you look at. I myself have always trusted Consumer Reports for auto reliability. Nameplates in general can have have one level while individual cars in thet nameplate can vary quite a bit from the nameplate's average. Case in point: Acuras, one of CR's most reliable nameplates in general, but the recent TL's have had problems and rate below other Acuras. Lexus products in general seem to age better than any other nameplate as they get older, but last year (2004) CR gave Subaru the top honor of having the fewest defects per vehicle overall and is now the top-rated brand, at least for short-term reliability. We hear and ad a lot about Buick having GM's cheap fit-and-finish, which is true, but many Buicks, according to CR are actually quite reliable.
You mention Lincoln....generally average in reliability acording to CR except the LS V6 ( worse than average....and now dropped ) and the Navigator, which has been VERY unreliable.
Old 11-06-05, 01:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I actually find the exterior of the Fusion much more appealing than the Lincolns.

Interior is of a course a different story as the lincoln's is much better.
Old 11-06-05, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes.....the Zephyr, like the Lexus ES330, Subaru Legacy / Outback, and Jaguar S-Class, is one of those few cars that gives you an interior that is worth every penny of its price tag.