Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan / Infiniti V6 Cars/Trucks/SUVS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 04:46 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan / Infiniti V6 Cars/Trucks/SUVS

Sure 90 percent of the nissan/infiniti v6 models (including trucks and suvs) have over 260 horsepower, I think it's kinda slacking that they most ALL use the VQ35DE in some way or another. Sure are tuned to have a little bit more horsepower, or detuned to have a little less horsepower but they all use the same v6 which is kind of stupid... Sure it's a great powerplant but, the motors been out for a few years now you think they'd develope a few more different displacement/designed V6's to put in different models rather then using the same V6 in every model for years and years. I never really liked Nissan/Infiniti but they are getting some of their **** together and coming up in the import world, alot of my friends own infiniti's and I never thought they were reliable SOME of them have prooved me wrong. But for the most part their not very reliable, or reliable as they should be (IE: Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura reliable and I don't think they ever will be, or even have the will power to put an extra effort to make them reliable or they would of.) I'm not flaming against nissan/infiniti don't get me wrong I like a few models on their lineup, but I just could never see myself buying one unless they get a few of their major problems together and straight. Anyone else think this?!
Old 10-17-05, 04:56 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Well, it is interesting that basically their entire model line uses three engines: a 2.5L, a 3.5L, and a 4.5L. On the other hand, that's a versatile lineup that spans the range from economy to performance, and they've demonstrated a remarkable ability to milk the most out of each of those powerplants.

As for reliability, for some reason Infiniti gets a bad rep in this area but they usually come out #2 on the J.D. Power reports (behind Lexus). The facts are that they build reliable cars, but the perception is that they are second-rate in this area. It is interesting that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura all hover near the top, while Infiniti is right up there but Nissan basically sucks.

So in short, I agree with your bottom line. Some of their models impress me but I could never see myself buying one unless they get a few things straightened out (kind of like Audi).
Old 10-17-05, 05:23 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman
Well, it is interesting that basically their entire model line uses three engines: a 2.5L, a 3.5L, and a 4.5L. On the other hand, that's a versatile lineup that spans the range from economy to performance, and they've demonstrated a remarkable ability to milk the most out of each of those powerplants.

As for reliability, for some reason Infiniti gets a bad rep in this area but they usually come out #2 on the J.D. Power reports (behind Lexus). The facts are that they build reliable cars, but the perception is that they are second-rate in this area. It is interesting that Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura all hover near the top, while Infiniti is right up there but Nissan basically sucks.

So in short, I agree with your bottom line. Some of their models impress me but I could never see myself buying one unless they get a few things straightened out (kind of like Audi).
I agree with your comment on Audi too, my dad is an Auto-Tech. He's told me so many times on how newer Audi's (A4's, A6's and S4's) come in with under 50k (some only 20k) and have to get their lower control arms replaced and tons of other suspension related parts (Struts, Bushings and lots more) with that little amound of miles. And he can name alot more things not even suspension related that has to get replaced/fixed that early in the car's life (These parts are in no way cheap AT ALL, very EXPENSIVE even for little things!), and he said how much of a pain in the *** their engine bay is hard to work on (especially their v6). He did an A6 with the V6, had to replace the thermostat took him around 10 hours together (+ or - an hour or two), first he had to get to the waterpump which took 6-7 hours then another 4-5 hours to do the thermostat. And on top of that along the way was just a huge pain in the ***, everything cramped and using long extensions and swivels (not even touching/seeing some of the bolts). He's been doing this for over 25 years and with cars getting more and more advanced he still takes classes now and then, he's very fast and good with his work. All his customers are very impressed with prices and quality always come back and recommend him to their family/friends. But even the audi was a pain in the *** for even him with 25+ years experience and his own shop, I was THINKING about an a4 1.8 quattro a few years back he told me he wouldn't work on it if it breaks (Which I gurantee it would of shortly) haha so yeah VW/Audi severly needs to get things straightened out most def. I mean all German cars do things a little bit different, but different dosen't describe the way VW/Audi does it's more along the lines of straight out STUPID and the designs are just screaming UNRELIABLE!! So if anyone is thinking about Audi I hope it has a long warranty, and when it runs out you better sell it before it self destructs sometime soon! Even if you do have a warranty, hope they give you a good loaner car because you may be driving it more then your Audi!
Old 10-17-05, 06:46 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Honda consistently scores better in reliability surveys than Nissan, but Infiniti consistently scores better in reliaibility surveys than Acura.
Old 10-19-05, 11:39 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

infiniti builds reliable cars... i dont know what you're talking about... they typically score higher than honda/acura.... they are typically only 2nd to lexus. i dont really care that they tend to use the VQ35DE... its a good engine... in fact, its a great engine. i cant complain.. why do people all want a 2jz? cuz its a good engine. if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Old 10-19-05, 12:42 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The new Frontier and Pathfinder use a 4.0L V6 that is derived from the 3.5 VQ6. I don't consider them the same engine. Titan, Armada, and QX56 use a 5.6L V8 engine. Thus, there are five different engines in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup, not three. Also, what is wrong with sharing engines, as long as they are excellent engines.
Old 10-19-05, 12:44 PM
typeshblue
Driver

nissan vq rated top 10 engine for ten yrs in row now, what s using the same engine
Old 10-19-05, 11:02 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I have had 3 Maximas over the years with ZERO prolems whatsoever. My last Max was a 6-speed w/ the 3.5 & that car was a gem. Not quite at the Lexus/Toyota level, but definately up there.

Old 10-20-05, 04:45 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Why is it stupid? It is financially smart. They have one of the best engines in the world. And they are using it in everything they build. Honda only has one V6 and its shared in all there v6 line of cars/trucks.

Originally Posted by neoprelude
Sure 90 percent of the nissan/infiniti v6 models (including trucks and suvs) have over 260 horsepower, I think it's kinda slacking that they most ALL use the VQ35DE in some way or another. Sure are tuned to have a little bit more horsepower, or detuned to have a little less horsepower but they all use the same v6 which is kind of stupid... Sure it's a great powerplant but, the motors been out for a few years now you think they'd develope a few more different displacement/designed V6's to put in different models rather then using the same V6 in every model for years and years. I never really liked Nissan/Infiniti but they are getting some of their **** together and coming up in the import world, alot of my friends own infiniti's and I never thought they were reliable SOME of them have prooved me wrong. But for the most part their not very reliable, or reliable as they should be (IE: Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura reliable and I don't think they ever will be, or even have the will power to put an extra effort to make them reliable or they would of.) I'm not flaming against nissan/infiniti don't get me wrong I like a few models on their lineup, but I just could never see myself buying one unless they get a few of their major problems together and straight. Anyone else think this?!
Old 10-20-05, 05:43 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

I'm surprised Mike hasn't locked this thread up yet...
Old 10-20-05, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
I'm surprised Mike hasn't locked this thread up yet...
Bish, I'll c u in Atlanta I'm going to rent one of those M35s or FX35s from Enterprise just to be a smart-****

Old 10-20-05, 06:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Why is it stupid? It is financially smart. They have one of the best engines in the world. And they are using it in everything they build. Honda only has one V6 and its shared in all there v6 line of cars/trucks.
wtf????

3.0 v6 in accord
3.5 v6 in pilot
different 3.5 v6 in odyssey
3.5 v6 in ridgeline (similar to pilots)

3.2 v6 in TL
3.2 v6 (different) in NSX
3.5 v6 (similar to pilots) in MDX
different 3.5 v6 in RL

Not to mention some Honda bikes come with v6. Get your information straight bud.
Old 10-20-05, 07:04 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

It's the same V6 just bored out bigger. I owned a CL-S, I know.

Ok in that case we can say..

Nissan
VQ30DE
95-01 Maximas

VQ35DE
Early Pathfinder
Maxima
Altima
I35
G35
M35
QX4

VQ40DE
new pathfinder
new xterra
new frontier

Same technology, just bored out like Honda

Same goes for most of Toyotas V6s.

Originally Posted by Och
wtf????

3.0 v6 in accord
3.5 v6 in pilot
different 3.5 v6 in odyssey
3.5 v6 in ridgeline (similar to pilots)

3.2 v6 in TL
3.2 v6 (different) in NSX
3.5 v6 (similar to pilots) in MDX
different 3.5 v6 in RL

Not to mention some Honda bikes come with v6. Get your information straight bud......

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 10-20-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 07:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

And if you actually THINK The Ody v6 is different then you need your head checked. Mine is straight. Yours is obviously not.
These types of comments are inflammatory. They are used to provoke a response. They are a "punk" towards someone. You were on the verge of a good response.

I'll ask you to not use them G35_TX. We'll go from there.
Old 10-20-05, 07:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
It's the same V6 just bored out bigger. I owned a CL-S, I know.

Ok in that case we can say..

Nissan
VQ30DE
95-01 Maximas

VQ35DE
Early Pathfinder
Maxima
Altima
I35
G35
M35
QX4

VQ40DE
new pathfinder
new xterra
new frontier

Same technology, just bored out like Honda

Same goes for most of Toyotas V6s.

And if you actually THINK The Ody v6 is different then you need your head checked. Mine is straight. Yours is obviously not.

3.0 in accord, 3.2 in TL, 3.2 in NSX, and 3.5 in RL are absolutely different engines

3.5 in Odyssey, pilot and MDX are based on the same block, but I believe carry different codes.

In any case that is at least five different engines, not to mention the recently retired 3.0 from old accord, 3.2 from tl/cl and 3.5 from old rl, which are different from the new models.

Quick Reply: Nissan / Infiniti V6 Cars/Trucks/SUVS