Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: E55 or Z06?
E55
77.78%
Z06
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

E55 or Upcoming Z06...? (poll added)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 08:15 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I'm biased, my cousin owns an E55 AMG. I've driven it, he's got a few performance upgrades like filter, upgraded ECU, and an air module suspension upgrade....the thing freakin' hauls @ss...and the handling aint bad either, not as good ah my homie's M5 in the bends and twistys but better than most cars with suspension upgrades.

Here are a few pics of it dropped after the air module suspension upgrade was installed

DOPE!!! I just love the lines on this car

Old 08-27-05, 09:29 AM
LexFather

Congrats on the baby!!
And for me, I always choose praticality over coupe, especially when performance is very close.
E55 gets my vote.

Old 08-27-05, 09:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats on the baby!!
And for me, I always choose praticality over coupe, especially when performance is very close.
E55 gets my vote.
Peformance not really that close, Z06 is a sub-4 sec. car, 3.7 vs. 4.3 sec. for the E55.
> 1/2 sec. difference is significant in that range. Z06 handles better too.
Old 08-27-05, 10:59 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, congrats on the baby!

AMG all the way!!! Go for it! As other people have said, the C6 has more of a tupperware like feel to the inside. The E55 is a bit slower, and doesn't handle as well.... but I mean... for a 5 passenger, 4 door car... the E55 is a monster. I also think its one of the most beautiful cars out there today.

The picture of that white one is pretty hot, but I'm sittin here cleanin up the keyboard after that pic of the black one Seize put up!!
Old 08-27-05, 11:16 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

First... Thanks to Mike and the couple of congrats I received on my soon to be son. My familia and I are VERY excited and extactic without question!
Second... As hard as it is for me to bite my tongue, it's just NOT in my nature to do so. So to all, make that THE naysayers who choose (for whatever reason) to reply in my thread (even though no one asked you to) you can just, well, let your imagination work...
This thread is ALL about positivety: The announcement of my upcoming child (which they convienently didn't mention) and the personal opinion between the 2 cars. Nothing more, nothing less. I am begining to suspect that some folks here just don't get it. Let me try again... If your comments are not in response to the 2 simple points/topics I just made, PLEASE do NOT reply in my thread. Or future threads for that matter! And guess what, I will gladly extend to you the same courtesy. Thank you.
Now then... You guys as well as other friends and forums have put several things into perspective for me:
These are 2 different purpose-built cars!
In this price-point several things should be considered, including: reliabilty, safety and build quality for starters. Practicality also favors the ubber sedan. Although performance is right up there.
That said... The E55 appears to be the winner at least for me. So I am actually considering and am in negotiations with the owner of the car I posted above. If everything pans out on both sides, I could acquire it real soon. BUT, I am a bargain-hunter and I am still looking at several options nation-wide, and I will continue to do so... Because it is MY decision and MY cheddar.
Thanks again to those of you who give/gave a positive unbiased opinion in this purchase decision for my family and I.

Marcus
Old 08-27-05, 11:19 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Nope. And from what I remember reading.... It's V12 will set your wallet back $170k+ No thanks.
They will not be producing the E65 or the CLS55. The engine compartment will not take the V12 according to AMG.
Old 08-27-05, 11:20 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah..... That BLACK one is Hott!!! I just don't want to invest half of my life keeping it as shiny as pictured above. That stance is smokin, and would be on the top of my list of "things to do". Right behind... you guessed it... Wheels!
Old 08-27-05, 11:24 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Well my peeps..... I am approaching a tremendous lifechanging event... TXSTYLE Jr.
My wife is actually 21 weeks pregnant and we found out we're having a boy!
Now I have already been contemplating a New vehicle for @ 6 mos or so, having had my Z for 3 years exactly next week! When I saw and drove the new C6 I was impressed to say the least, but when I began reading the stats on the upcoming Z06... I was like... Whatever it takes, even waiting a year! But obviously a child changes your outlook on things especially transportation. Now granted, I could still keep a Sports Car/2-Seater and acquire say a third car, but I also am getting somewhat tired of picking my azz up off the ground each and everytime I climb out of my Z or even a Vette for that matter. Of course, I have had my fair shair of rides particularly Sports Cars in my 35 yrs including:

98' Vette
98' Cobra (supercharged)
97' 3000GT VR4
96' 300ZX TT
95' GT
94' 240SX

I had a dealers liscence and bought most of my previous cars at auction w/ low miles and I switched cars up like once a year. Not until 1999 when I bought my Lexus GS400 did I keep a car more than 2 years (3 yrs to be exact) then I bought my Z in Sep 02' and have had it since. Of course alot has happened for me since 2000: Got married, Bought a new House, and the various expendetures that both of these things undoubtedly cause including 3 new vehicles for her!

Now then, I had also given serious consideration to an M45 right when my wife became pregnant and having driven it and the new GS430 back to back. It provides a decent amount of performance and room/practical of a 4-door.
And what hasn't already been said about the C6 Z06? The car will be the David of Golliaths among Supercars!

Enter the E55... Just @ a month ago, I went with a good friend of mine who was trying to decide between a new S500 and a new 745Li (he got an incredible deal on a demo 745Li!), did I have an opportunity to experience what is the E55! Not only have I loved the simple yet elegant design of the current E Class since it's re-design, but I also knew the incredible power/performance stats that AMG brought to this car only by reading and hearsay. Once I was able to actually slide into the car itself and unleash it's near 470hp & 517 ft/lbs of torque, did I realize just how nuking futs this car is! From the time you shut it's solid & heavy door, to the time you grasp the thick purpose-designed steering wheel, and get a whiff of the supple nappa leather, and gorgeous instrument panel, dash and centerconsole, do you realize this car is on a whole other level. But when I fired up the ignition... I knew this car had more surprises in store. Of course in the confines of this German vault with the windows up, you still know a V8 resides whithin. But drop the windows down and give it a few stabs at the throttle, the quad-tip AMG exhaust reminds you, this ain't no E500! After a few city blocks to the Tollway entrance I was impressed by the superb suspension which sucked up most road imperfections, and the effortless steering. But once I entered the onramp and dropped the hammer... OMG! This heavy sedan pulled as if we got kicked in the azz by King Kong! And it didn't stop feeling like that until I let up at @ 120. The salesguy said, "This car never ceases to fokin amaze me." With a big azz grin on my face, I said... "I fockin see why!"
By now you can probably since my utter admiration if not infatuation with this car. Of ALL 4-Door Sports Sedans on the road I preffer it's look more so than any. I happen to test drive a Silver w/ Charcoal interior. But I have already decided my next car will probably be White. The car is NOT cheap by any stretch, and I personally have no problem buying a pre-owned/certified one of these to save say $10-$15k, which is what I'm seeing in some cases. Although at it's sticker cost of $80k+ it is simply worth every nickel considering ALL the car you are getting.
You just may see me in something very similar to this if not this particular one I located (the Charcoal & Merlot 2-Tone is just GORGEOUS) sometime soon:

Thoughts?

I have 3 AMG's but not the E class. You will not be disappointed. As for the performance differences, that could be cured simply by an upgrade with Renntech, Kleeman or Brabus. I have modded my SL with the complete Renntech upgrade and the car, while it was a beast stock, has a completely personality; just awesome.
Old 08-27-05, 11:31 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have 3 AMG's but not the E class. You will not be disappointed. As for the performance differences, that could be cured simply by an upgrade with Renntech, Kleeman or Brabus. I have modded my SL with the complete Renntech upgrade and the car, while it was a beast stock, has a completely personality; just awesome.
WOW... Several AMG's must be just intoxicating! I was reading a very interesting article here Lou on how Mercedes intends to combat the aging tranny and power issues it has posed by introducing a new line of V8 and Trannys: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...rticleId=106510
Watch out M5... Big Time!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 08-27-05 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-27-05, 01:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Please, no congratulations are necessary until an actual purchase is made...
I think that was congratulations on the upcoming birth of his son. Or maybe we shouldn't congratulate him on that until it's born?

TXSTYLE - HUGE CONGRATS to you and your wife on your big upcoming event (your son, not the cars! ).

You've said a couple of times that getting in/out of a low car like the Z is getting old (like we are, lol), and I can certainly relate to that and would not get a Vette because of that. Also, the Z06 will be amazing no doubt, but you'd still need a sedan because you're never going to take your son in it, at least not for a few years (too impractical).

The E55 is just incredible, as well as practical. I think it's an easy choice.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-27-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 02:05 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think that was congratulations on the upcoming birth of his son. Or maybe we shouldn't congratulate him on that until it's born?

TXSTYLE - HUGE CONGRATS to you and your wife on your big upcoming event (your son, not the cars! ).

You've said a couple of times that getting in/out of a low car like the Z is getting old (like we are, lol), and I can certainly relate to that and would not get a Vette because of that. Also, the Z06 will be amazing no doubt, but you'd still need a sedan because you're never going to take your son in it, at least not for a few years (too impractical).

The E55 is just incredible, as well as practical. I think it's an easy choice.

Thanks alot buddy.
My wife has been uhhhm... Not the easiest person to be around lately LOL! But all my friends and family who have kids told me to expect that. Emotional Freight Train to say the least.
Old 08-27-05, 02:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Do I have to do this again?

E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55. E55.

Seriously, even if you don't upgrade the car, it's still got so much torque you'll have to get a new hip within no time.
Old 08-27-05, 02:13 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkirchner
They will not be producing the E65 or the CLS55. The engine compartment will not take the V12 according to AMG.
You mean CLS65? I saw a CLS55 today...
Old 08-27-05, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Enough talk...

it's all good to talk about it... it's better to make it happen... .
Yes.....you have a point to some extent, but I can't totally agree. This forum is not called CAR CHAT for nothing. And when you are talking about an E55 or a Z06....those cars are not chump change. You don't want to make a snap decision with that kind of money....especially considering that both cars have had reliability problems, and the difficulty of getting affordable insurance for a Z06.
Old 08-27-05, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Thanks alot buddy.
My wife has been uhhhm... Not the easiest person to be around lately LOL! But all my friends and family who have kids told me to expect that. Emotional Freight Train to say the least.
LOL - those f$#%! hormones!

You need to be extra patient when she's irritable or just completely looney. Imagine you had a baseball growing into a bowling ball in your belly!

But your son is gonna be one lucky kid!

Quick Reply: E55 or Upcoming Z06...? (poll added)