Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ur thoughts on a 300Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 08:51 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ur thoughts on a 300Z

My friend is looking to sell his 91 300Z...he is willing to give me the car for CHEAP. It the non-turbo, auto version and has about 140k miles on it.

How hard would it be to TT the car?

I am looking to pick up a toy car to play with....wanted to see what you all thought.....

Thanks!
Old 08-24-05, 09:06 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OGS
My friend is looking to sell his 91 300Z...he is willing to give me the car for CHEAP. It the non-turbo, auto version and has about 140k miles on it.

I am looking to pick up a toy car to play with....wanted to see what you all thought.....

Thanks!
Not worth it.
You'll end up spending more TTing this car, than just buying a TT Z.
Old 08-24-05, 09:09 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Not worth it.
yeah, my friend learned the hard way also.
Old 08-24-05, 09:59 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea definitely not work the trouble.. Z32s are so cheap these days u can just go out and buy a TT. theyre good cars... relatively reliable engines... fast cars... but heavy... and suck in the rain. aside from that, theyre great. cant buy anything faster for the price.
Old 08-24-05, 10:54 PM
wSC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OGS

Thanks!
http://www.cars-on-line.com/18198.html some guy is selling a 300 ZX with a claimed 400 hp or something like that all i'd do to it would be, remove spoiler and repaint... new seats or seat covers wouldnt hurt either but good example of what you could do to one... Hopefully you won't do it though please if i ever saw that in person i would probably crash.

This isn't supposed to be an advertisement ijust wanted to aid in your decision/
Old 08-25-05, 11:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Your better off just getting a 300ZXtt if you want a turbo instead of getting a NA 300ZX then trying to turbo it. I have read about people who tried to do this and it is extremely difficult and expensive, much more expensive then just buying the turbo charged car in the first place. I believe I read where you may even need to put in a different stronger transmission as the NA trans can't cope with all the hp/torque of a turbo setup. In all you will not be saving any money buy buying a NA car and then trying to turbo it plus it will be extremely difficult, take a look how crowded and tight that engine bay is. Go for a well taken care of tt and you will be happy as they are great looking cars that can put many of todays cars to shame.
Old 08-25-05, 12:22 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, somewhere way down the road, I wouldn't mind buying a beat up early 90's 300ZX and restoring it to original. Seems like something that'd be fun and maybe worth it down the road.
Old 08-25-05, 02:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
yea definitely not work the trouble.. Z32s are so cheap these days u can just go out and buy a TT. theyre good cars... relatively reliable engines... fast cars... but heavy... and suck in the rain. aside from that, theyre great. cant buy anything faster for the price.
Reliable engines but the rest of the vehicle is crap; especially the automatic transmissions and coolant system. I owned one and it was a pile of crap and a PITA to work on... and so were the dozens of other people I know that owned one and had problems with them. There's only one guy that owns his still that owned it back when I owned mine... and his is down ALL the time for something breaking, I rarely see the car at all.

But yeah they are pretty cheap... Early 90s TTs can be had for dirt cheap... like <$8k. I'd purchase a MKIII Supra, SR20d S13, or MR2 Turbo in a flash before that car though.
Old 08-25-05, 05:10 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Not worth it.

n/a AND auto... PASS. Unless of course maybe if he sells it for like $10.