Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota questions hybrid approach

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 02:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Toyota questions hybrid approach

Toyota’s chief engineer for product planning Shigeyuki Hori has doubts about the future success of hybrids. His point of view comes from watching the Japanese market react to the Lexus RX (Harrier in Japan) and Highlander (Kluger) hybrids. Hori believes that the poor sales of the new hybrids was due to the nearly 20 percent premium customers would have to pay for the ‘big electric appliance.’ For hybrids, the cost factor is always going to be a problem, and Toyota is beginning to worry that investing in both hybrid and normal gasoline/diesel powertrains for the same model will not pay off. Hori sees that Toyota would need to develop hybrid models that are unique, vehicles without a normal equivalent, in order for the hybrid to be successful.

Hori has a good point. Look at the Prius. It is essentially an economy car, if there was a non-hybrid Prius it would probably cost between 16-18k. If consumers were to see the price difference between a hybrid and a non-hybrid, then they may be less likely to choose the hybrid. We’re also not sure about comparing the Japanese market to the American market. The hybrid SUVs and Camry will meet with some success, simply because we are less price sensitive and hybrids are becoming a sort of status symbol for many.
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000543053589/

Last edited by magneto112; 08-09-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 02:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Which in turn relates to our previous thread that RX400h customers arent happy enough because it looks like a regualr RX330. If you drive something totally different from the regular car then you have every right for it to stand out from the crowd.

I wish then luck and hopefully in the future Toyo/Lex wont have a big problem.
Old 08-09-05, 02:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More dramatic is the way to go, including special labeling for hybrids such as the RX 400h and GS 450h...why not special colors, also 'hybrid' titles on the sides and aft.

If I were Toyota I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, namely hybrid tech, but also be at the forefront of hydrogen, fuel cell etc if those pan out.
Old 08-09-05, 03:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

They have been working on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, & they have no lack of diesel cars in Asia, many as taxi's . . .
Old 08-09-05, 04:13 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this statement only refered to Japaniese market.

Toyota is integrating hybrid system into regular production models so customers would accept it and get used on it. It's like diesel and petrol situation. I think that's what Toyota is aiming for, to bring the third alternative straight into the battle worldwide rather than making niche market out of it.

There is no reason to make "hybrid models only" in the future. It makes sense now to show off the technology but not in 10 years or so.
Old 08-09-05, 04:34 PM
LexFather

Its a concern and a good one. With gas prices still going up (Oil hit ANOTHEr record high today) and hybrid technology improving, things will be alright.

Toyota is already at maximum capacity for all hybrids.

Its a TOUGH market to figure things out since NO ONE has done it before. This is a rare, newly untapped market. They are learning, hence the other article of people wanting to let others know "yes, this is hybrid"

I tsaid before in a thread here, part of owning a hybrid, is the PRESTIGE and ORIGINALITY of it. People like the fact, even if its only 5mpg more, its MORE than you. And the hybrids COST more.
Hollywood loves hybrids, which is a good, b/c the ripple effect will mean people love them.

The next step is the GS 450h which will become the next IT CAR for celebrities and the rich. They cannot wait to talk about the fact "hey, I own a rare and the first hybrid Lexus sedan".

Watch.

Old 08-09-05, 04:51 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX400h is getting a lot of com complaints for not getting the good MPG.
Old 08-09-05, 04:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah 2005 RX330 production bulk shifted over to the Cambridge Ontario Canada plant due to the ramp up of production of the RX400h from the Kyushu, Japan plant. If you go to any Lexus dealer in the United States and Canada, you will probably see the only Japanese made RX's are the the hybrids. If you do have an 05 RX330 that was made after April, chances are it's made in Canada. If you have an 05 Thundercloud Edition, that's strictly made in the Kyushu plant.
Old 08-09-05, 04:55 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with toyota, for them to really be succesfull they will have to set them appart from the rest of the lineup.
Old 08-09-05, 06:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading a Forbes in the doctors office and they pointed out that if all cars were hybrids TODAY, it would mean nothing in 6 years because they only get 25% better mpg and with the increased driving we will be doing in 6 years, we will be right back where we were. Something more dramatic has to be done.
Old 08-09-05, 07:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I think Toyota would be able to match its most optimistic estimates IF it focused on making hybrids about economy and less about performance...however, for instance, the hybrid Camry has been announced as focusing on performance, just as the RX 400h and GS450h have been. Now, for luxury cars, I can sort of understand hybrid performance....

...but for the regular market I'm disappointed that hybrid technology is not as environmentally and economically friendly as possible. Methinks Toyota doesn't want to hurt the other 75% of the market for non-hybrids, as perhaps the warranties for hybrid batteries, etc...do not justify making the 'superhybrid' which is truly fuel efficient to the point that it outweighs the hybrid purchase premium. Plus there's the matter of competing with other manufacturers that are behind in the hybrid wars.

Sadly, the corporate economic situation seems not to favor the creation of a hybrid product that is best for the consumer economic situation. But can you imagine...

...a luxury hybrid that truly sips gas, performs AT the same level as non-hybrids, but uses LESS gas? a 50 mpg Lexus? The ultimate luxury convenience.

...or a Toyota Camry with the mpg of a Honda Civic? Imagine what that would do to our oil consumption...not to mention the family checkbook.

If such a 'superhybrid' were introduced, thousands would flock to Toyota and the other carmakers would lose big time...

But at least they're offering some type of hybrid car, going back to the tradition of fuel economy which for Lexus began with their very first model, the LS 400 which was the first imported production V8 to avoid the gas guzzler tax.