Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45 - Edmunds . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Finally, whereas all the brands with a clue, have the technology and style start at the top and trickle its way down into its less expensive brothers, well with Infiniti, they started at the G35, and began slapping the Avalon tailights on every car, including the Q45.

Avalon

And there you have it. Now not do make a flagship. I have yet to figure out how in 15 years, they could not figure out the same market that everyone else is in. Its downright confusing

Old 07-28-05, 09:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Finally, whereas all the brands with a clue, have the technology and style start at the top and trickle its way down into its less expensive brothers, well with Infiniti, they started at the G35, and began slapping the Avalon tailights on every car, including the Q45.

And there you have it. Now not do make a flagship. I have yet to figure out how in 15 years, they could not figure out the same market that everyone else is in. Its downright confusing
I agree...the M45 has Avalon lights...next thing you know the FX35/45 and the QX56 are going to adopt the same style.
Old 07-28-05, 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here are a few more:

Old 07-28-05, 10:16 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That is interesting I have never realized how Infiniti's tailamps on most models resemble the Avalon...give me a Avalon though over the Q45...
Old 07-28-05, 12:55 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a smart move... they should just completely redesign the Q a la G. they could still call it a Q, but completely change the lines etc. infiniti is doing good... dont blame them because they dont whave the track record that lexus has. but they are doing very well for themselves these days and should take advantage of their growing popularity by bringing a real flagship into the lineup. agreed, the Q isnt even close to the LS, S, or 7. it needs more of a gimmick... more power, more luxury... more accessories... but it still does need to undercut the competition in terms of price to succeed at the start.
Old 07-28-05, 01:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I remember when the new Q first came out. Nissan flaunted publicly the code name for it was NE, i.e. NO EXCUSES. Several years and only several thousands sales later, with bad performance figures (345hp and it was slower than the 290hp LS), it's now quoted as no longer Infiniti's flagship....Nissan has the technology and engineers, only if their marketing and design folks had a clue, they wouldn't of been bought out by the frenchies in the first place....The G35 was a good start, but honestly the M45 does not turn me on the least. THey need fresh ideas and products to be perceived as a threat to Lexus.
Old 07-28-05, 02:12 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Lets not forget where these taillights actually did start back in 98 with the BMW 3 series. Great design which is why toyota and nissan decided to take design cues from it.

Old 07-28-05, 02:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

The 3 series tail lights is the least attractive part of an otherwise good looking car IMO . . . but those on the new one are even worse
Old 07-28-05, 03:36 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. BAD INFINITI! BAD!

G35coupe and FX45 are the only appealing vehicles from Infiniti for me... A model above the Q isn't smart.
Old 07-28-05, 05:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

i like the Q's and the M's

i would like to see what they would come out with
Old 07-28-05, 06:24 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike, youre my man and all, but i gotta give it to you. you call infiniti derivative but youre all up in arms when a MB purist calls the LS a copy-cat. and god forbid anyone say the new GS looks like a maxima (which i still cant tell the difference between from a distance). then you say there is no infiniti in europe or japan. well, as far as a i can tell, there was no lexus either (in japan) til bout 6 mos ago. you know i love lexus (and CL in particular) but the swipes at infiniti and every other car maker are getting alittle superfluous (SAT word). infiniti is doing a great job. my car has been just as trouble free as my previous GS (both swallowed cd changers) and the service has been as good if not better. lexus does things the right way.....of this there can be no denial. but some of the hate towards the upstarts is ridiculous.
*only like the 1st sentence or two is directed at mike.
*directed at mike ---- im gonna be in atl this weekend and my girl (or whatever she is these days) is outta town. we gonna party or what?

Doc
Old 07-28-05, 07:06 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I just don't "get" Infiniti. I was thinking about this today, stuck in traffic behind the first new M I've seen on the road (it was a pearl white M35x, and I was literally amazed at how plain and unimpressive it looked).

When I see any generation of the I sedan, I actually like the looks. Those were the only attractive Infiniti vehicles ever produced, IMO. I know I'm in the minority of the young enthusiast crowd here at CL who tend to like the new G, but it just looks cheap and bubbly to me. I actually like the looks of the FX, but realize that it is a niche vehicle, designed to turn heads whether from admiration or derision doesn't matter.

In any event, is the new M really selling all that well? Like I said, today was the first time I've seen one in person. I think it came out around the same time as the new GS and RL, and I've seen a lot more of both of those driving around. As for the Q, are they even selling it any more? *just kidding, kind of*

A new "halo" or flagship sedan could potentially work for Infiniti, but only if they took the Lexus approach that Mike described so well and absolutely blew the rest of the market away. If it's just another relatively good car (which it seems is about the best thing even Infiniti fanatics can say about their vehicles), then it will do nothing for them. Maybe they should actually give up on the Infiniti brand and roll those models into the Nissan lineup--kind of a reverse "Lexus in Japan" approach?
Old 07-29-05, 09:45 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i unfortuanly work for lake norman chrysler jeep dodge, and next to the dealership is lake norman infiniti, its kinda like a joint thing between the two dealerships because we clean the infiniti cars, (carpet, waxing, windows, etc...) and we they delever a new full to us ( car that has just came off the truck thats ready for waxing and such) i never see a Q come off, a matter of fact, Q's never come to our dealership, only QX, FX,G, M cars only come. and the area i live in is a (basically) snobby rich people that think they are better than everyone else. and they'll buy the M45 Sport models, FX45, but no one ever buys Q, (i think because they are ugly and have the bumper of a ford taurus (newer models). and the ting about the G35, they are acually nice cars ( my favorite infiniti honesty) but the only thing going for them is the powertrain and the sound they make when u start it up or press accelerator, the interior for the G isnt really all that luxurious in my opinion, and after a while, with practically all infiniti i do inside of (cabin) they gain this really musty smell, i honestly smell the same smell in all infiniti's that are used, dont know if someone is spraying something in it, but i seriosuly doubt that, but i think its the leather thats causing that smell, and with black leather in ALL infiniti's especially the G, they are really hard to clean!!!! they gather ****e spots on them and they never come out, its annoying. well im done giving my two cents about infiniti. but i really do like the brand, but i will never consider purchasing one, if one was given to me, i'll will trade it in for a lexus or toyota
Old 07-29-05, 10:58 PM
Order66
Rookie

Infiniti's problems go all the way back to the original Q. They blamed its poor sales on the fact that it did not have a grill and not the insane advertising campaign they ran. Since then they mostly try to give customers things they already have with other brands and at the expense of their own ideas.

They had a vision with that first Q, but have since then been playing catch up to consumer's tastes and wants ever since. They were the first with such things as remote window control, but last at most everything else.

Infiinit keeps trying to be a different version of Lexus, but they need to be themselves and inovate to find success. The FX and current coupe prove they have it in them still.
Old 07-29-05, 11:14 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmds
Wait, which $46k sedan isn't selling?

I can only imagine you're talking about the M. It's selling. Generally speaking, Infiniti doesn't sell as many units as Lexus, but the M is selling very well for an Infiniti. You're never going to see as many Ms on the road as GSs. I certainly don't. But bearing in mind that the new M has only been around for a few months now, I already see many more of them per week than the previous "placeholder" body-style (2003-2004 M45). That's not bad, and that, I believe, is really what Infiniti wants to do--improve on its past. It's not as if they have set a ridiculous goal to "beat the competitors in sales in X years or we've failed."

We should be able to agree that this press release is marketing speak for, "We're dropping the Q moniker and our next flagship will be nicer and more expensive than the current Q." Nothing in that statement is a big surprise, really, as it's all been hinted at before. Based on that statement and the track record of G35s selling better than essentially any previous Infinitis and 2006 Ms selling better than 2003-04 M45s, I would very much expect this new flagship to sell quite a bit better than the current Q45, which is really all that matters to them.

It's not like they have delusions of grandeur. They're just saying, "Our next flagship is going to be a real nice car, oh and it's not going to be named the 'Q' any more." Big deal. Show me the car.

I mean the Q45. I thought it was selling for about $46k or so, sorry if I didn't get the price right. A few years back I saw an Infiniti ad in the news paper selling it for if I remember correctly $46k.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45 - Edmunds . . .