Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Hard to tell from the shots unless you are talking about the dimensions of the tape. I like more room as much as anybody but I hope this is marketing speak. The current Camry is not exactly small in every dimension. Every time I pull up behind one of them I am impressed with just how big a Camry is now. So does the ES get redone on the same time frame as the Camry?
A lot of cars are getting bigger by getting taller. The new Ford 500 is VERY impressive from a space perspective. Needs a front re-design though, too ugly.
Old 09-13-05, 10:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A lot of cars are getting bigger by getting taller. The new Ford 500 is VERY impressive from a space perspective. Needs a front re-design though, too ugly.
Just not sure how much bigger they want the Camry to get. Although marketspeak puts 0.4 inches of increase and it qualifies for bigger in every dimension. From the spy shot it doesn't look that much, if any bigger. I guess we just have to wait and see. Hard to believe the Japanese mfrs are playing the bigger is better game when a big more efficiency wouldn't be a bad idea. Hope detroitvirus isn't spreading.
Old 09-14-05, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
Just not sure how much bigger they want the Camry to get. Although marketspeak puts 0.4 inches of increase and it qualifies for bigger in every dimension. From the spy shot it doesn't look that much, if any bigger. I guess we just have to wait and see. Hard to believe the Japanese mfrs are playing the bigger is better game when a big more efficiency wouldn't be a bad idea. Hope detroitvirus isn't spreading.
They're catering to the U.S. market where their CUSTOMERS are getting larger and the amount of stuff they want to haul around - for them, their kids, granny and stuff they bought after endless barrages of "just 19.95", and stuff they bought after listening to every possible catastrophe that could happen when they drive on their local news, etc. .
Old 09-14-05, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They're catering to the U.S. market where their CUSTOMERS are getting larger and the amount of stuff they want to haul around - for them, their kids, granny and stuff they bought after endless barrages of "just 19.95", and stuff they bought after listening to every possible catastrophe that could happen when they drive on their local news, etc. .
RON430 has a good point, though. ( I'm one of those somewhat overweight Baby Boomers myself ). But.......even so, Toyota can't just keep expanding the Camry every time they design it. If they do, it is going to encroach more and more into Avalon territory, which would end up robbing Peter to pay Paul and shrinking the Avalon market even more. The Camry already outsells the Avalon by a large margin....exactly how much, I don't have the figures with me. ( Amethy / SICKLEX ? )They would have to keep expanding the Avalon, too, to keep pace, and that would necessitate ever-larger engines.....even larger hybrid ones....in an age of increasing gas frugality.
Old 09-14-05, 07:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
RON430 has a good point, though. ( I'm one of those somewhat overweight Baby Boomers myself ). But.......even so, Toyota can't just keep expanding the Camry every time they design it. If they do, it is going to encroach more and more into Avalon territory, which would end up robbing Peter to pay Paul and shrinking the Avalon market even more. The Camry already outsells the Avalon by a large margin....exactly how much, I don't have the figures with me. ( Amethy / SICKLEX ? )They would have to keep expanding the Avalon, too, to keep pace, and that would necessitate ever-larger engines.....even larger hybrid ones....in an age of increasing gas frugality.
The Camry outsells the Avalon by a huge margin. I do agree the Camry platform easily overlaps the Avalon. Why buy a fully loaded Avalon Limited when I can get a Camry XLE V6 for less and be just as happy? But then again the same person could say, why pay a few thousand more for an ES330 when I can get an Avalon or Camry XLE V6 for way less? I guess it's all preference.

Here are the numbers from August 2005:

Camry 39,896 > Avalon 9,020

Even the Prius slightly edges the Avalon's sales.

Credit: Toyota Motor Sales, USA
Old 09-14-05, 08:47 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a few more pic's from toytanation...
it looks they got the picture while bootleging a movie
Attached Thumbnails More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .-2007_camry7.jpg  

Last edited by vin 78; 09-14-05 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 08:48 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

heres another one...
Attached Thumbnails More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .-2007_camry1.jpg  
Old 09-14-05, 09:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

But whats crazy and what throws me off is that the guy who works at the plant who seen the car in person says that the grill is totally different. If you try to understnad what he wrote, it doesnt sound anything like what those pics look like. He said the grill was split sort of like it is on BMW's and Pontiacs and also includes maybe a mesh grill, everything else is basically the same(thats the way I took it).

However, what he saw was the Sport model with a bodykit which might look totally different from a regular Camry. (for example the current Camry SE has a different grill than the Standard, LE, and XLE).
Old 09-14-05, 10:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vin 78
heres another one...
Dang, looks like a Bangled Butt!
Old 09-14-05, 10:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by vin 78
here's a few more pic's from toytanation...
it looks they got the picture while bootleging a movie
Those pics are old...and a repost.
Old 09-14-05, 10:47 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Those pics are old...and a repost.

oops, didn't know
Old 10-14-05, 09:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

New pics to let us further know that the original pics are of the real car. ENJOY!!

Old 10-14-05, 11:34 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
New pics to let us further know that the original pics are of the real car. ENJOY!!
Thanks for the pics. Not bad so far but that white-stripe-in-red taillight thing is simply getting a bit too generic to stand out. Or perhaps that's the point?
Old 10-14-05, 03:20 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

for one thing, having a clear lense rather than a colored one allows for a brigther blinker which can be seen from farther away.... a good thing to have specially when you are using them as hazards while changing a tire in the middle of the night or storm, etc
Old 10-14-05, 03:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this camry will be the best looking camry ever!

Quick Reply: More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .