Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another Suburu SLEEPER! Legacy GT, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 13.9 1/4 mile!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 12:23 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if we are going to get that here.
Specs look great.
Old 07-20-05, 12:34 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like IS350 competition
Old 07-20-05, 02:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah man. the Legacy is an awsome car in just about every way. The only draw back to me is Navigation is not even an option. But I think that changed for the 06 model year.

Outstanding job Subaru. I just pray and hope they dont mess this model up with that new horrendous front grill.
Old 07-20-05, 03:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Redesigned Legacy helping Subaru to improve image, draw in buyers

Redesigned Legacy helping Subaru to improve image, draw in buyers
DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/19/05
A year after its launch, the redesigned Subaru Legacy is helping the brand spiff up its image.

The current Legacy and Outback shed the quirky Subaru appearance that some have called ugly. Subaru also added zippier performance versions.

Executives say the moves are creating a broader buyer base and increasing registrations by 51 percent in the Sun Belt. In the past, Subaru's key selling point - all-wheel drive - has appealed mainly to people in snowy climates.

"We are experiencing a significant increase in Legacy sedan and wagon sales in the Sun Belt as a result of the styling of the vehicle and the performance," says Bill Cyphers, vice president of sales.

And Cyphers says Subaru is winning conquest sales: "Dealers are seeing traffic from competition they have not seen in the past."

GT draws buyers

The 250-hp Legacy GT sedan has been a major draw. Desiree Farey, general manager of Irvine (Calif.) Subaru, says sales of the model are up 160 percent compared with last year. The store is the No. 3 Subaru franchise in the United States.

"We are drawing a lot of performance owners, WRX owners who want more luxury - like leather and a sunroof - and previous BMW, Porsche and even Mercedes-Benz customers," Farey says.

Nationwide, Subaru sold 45,108 units of the Legacy and Outback through June, up 10.3 percent compared with the year-ago period. By year end, Subaru wants to sell 93,500 units. In 2004 it sold 89,453 of the vehicles.

Subaru says the redesigned Legacy/Outback is giving the brand inroads in the Sun Belt. Registrations for the first four months rose 51 percent, according to R.L. Polk & Co.

"Nationally, other manufacturers sell 48 percent of their cars in the Sun Belt, and we sell 20 percent of our cars there," Cyphers says. "Historically, our cars are all-wheel drive and have appealed to the Northern market."

Equally important is profitability. Sales of the six-cylinder and high-trim models have increased significantly, Cyphers says.

Subaru raised prices on the current-generation Legacy and Outback by an average of 4 percent.

The Legacy starts at $22,020. Prices rise to $34,220 for the Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited wagon. Both prices include shipping.

Buyer demographics also have changed. According to a study in the first quarter of 2005 by Iceology, a Los Angeles market research firm, the average age of the Subaru customer has dropped to 47, from 51 a year earlier. The gender mix is 57 percent male, compared with 52 percent a year earlier. Subaru thinks these changes are the result of the turbo models, particularly the Legacy 2.5 GT sedan.

Subaru says continued growth is likely to come from the Legacy sedan, which accounted for 72 percent of the nameplate's sales through July 6, compared with 59 percent in 2003.

Says Cyphers: "Interest is coming from the general acceptance and enthusiasm for the car in car magazines."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102799
Old 07-20-05, 03:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
TOTALLY different car...inside and out.
Hmm good to know the interior has been upgraded too but it looks largely the same to me. I must've missed the details, given the short time of my test drive.
Old 07-20-05, 03:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Hmm good to know the interior has been upgraded too but it looks largely the same to me. I must've missed the details, given the short time of my test drive.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Marshall ment that the 2005 model is the new generation(current model). The 2004 model is the previous generation.The new Legacy was introduced in 04 as a 05.
Old 07-20-05, 03:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
If I'm not mistaken, I think Marshall ment that the 2005 model is the new generation(current model). The 2004 model is the previous generation.The new Legacy was introduced in 04 as a 05.
LOL so the mystery is solved. The one I test drove late last year was in fact a 2005 model. I have nothing but good things to say about the driving and overall experience with the car.
Old 07-20-05, 03:43 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn...i'll have to look at a low mileage one next year for college!!! quick, w/ awd, perfect for unpredictable weather in kansas
Old 07-20-05, 04:32 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

I drove the 05 Legacy at one of the Road and Track driving events. They had the BMW 3 series and the Volvo S80 sedans there for comparison. In the end, I enjoyed driving the Subie the best. Nice handling, great power with the turbo, and plush interior. If I were looking for a new mid size four door sedan for a reasonable price, this one might be it.
Old 07-20-05, 07:44 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Haha, thanks for spilling the beans on my future car mike.

Man, I love these things and I know that as long as they don't ruin the front of it, I will have to get one once I graduate, because for the price there is absolutely NOTHING else I could imagine driving. Oh, and give me mine in a silver wagon. Still need to test drive one though badly.

James
Old 07-21-05, 07:09 PM
LexFather

This car is awsome, if I wasn't a happy Lexus owner, I could rock this.

Old 07-22-05, 02:54 PM
PaqZa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
XeroK00L...have you actually seen this car at a dealership or sat inside one? You will be amazed at the quality of the interior. It is the equal of many Lexus interiors in fit-and-finish.

The Legacy comes only in dark interiors with brushed-metal trim. The Outback has the dark Legacy interior plus a beige metal-trim and wood-paneled version depending on outside color.
I assure you that the LGT comes in lighter colored interiors as well, as mine is tan inside.
Old 07-22-05, 04:29 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

It'll be perfect if Subaru can bring in the Legacy B4 version here....
Old 07-22-05, 08:16 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

you know what, I'd be all over if they sell the Forester STI
Old 07-23-05, 12:04 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

I 'd be all over it if they sell a legacy STI.
Here's a nice one on the legacygt.com forum.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=10
Attached Thumbnails Another Suburu SLEEPER! Legacy GT, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 13.9 1/4 mile!-legacy-4.jpg  

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 07-23-05 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Suburu SLEEPER! Legacy GT, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 13.9 1/4 mile!