Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 07:50 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i think he was playing to the old people vote in FL...

FL has way way way too many old people

This is Jeb Bush's last years in Office. He reached his term limit already. But when Charlie Crist gets voted in, im pretty sure he will sign it. He has been a STRONG porponent of this bill since in came to light a few months back. If they bring it back up, my money is that it will be a law.
Old 05-31-05, 08:01 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are beginning to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by.
I wish they'd start doing that here!
Old 05-31-05, 10:13 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
I am brake checking the person because he is creating a dangerous situation and it is bothering me for him to be riding my tail and I want him to get off my tail.
So that makes it acceptable escalate the risk level of an already hazardous situation? As much as you try to justify your actions, as someone mentioned before, two wrongs don't make a right. If you're really concerned about managing risk, brake checking is the wrong choice.
Old 05-31-05, 11:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am not making the situation any more dangerous. I am braking and showing my brake lights so they will get off my tail and follow at a safer distance. By me not doing anything is what is escalating a dangerous situation because that person will still continue to be too close to avoid rear ending me if I have to slam my brakes on to avoid hitting the person in front of me. I am not locking my brakes up or coming to an abrupt stop just giving the person the message that they are going too fast and to stop riding my tail. I am sorry but I do not have to hurry up and get out of the way of someone going way too fast when I am in the process of passing people and am not going to tailgate the person in front of me because that agressive person is just going to ride my *** until I move. The universal safety rule is not for drivers who drive recklessly over the speed limit to have the right away in the left hand lane. The left lane is for faster traffic to pass at a safe speed not for people cruising at 95 or a 100+mph to blow by anyone at will and so they can ride someones tail who isn't grossly exceeding the speed limit like them. Some of those agressive people also ride your tail no matter what lane you are in and how much over the speed limit you are going. Maybe I should not have said slam my brakes in my first post but show them my brake lights and not to the point where I would cause a collision. The last thing I want is to get rear ended by some impatient ***hole driving way too fast.

Don't get me wrong I am not a slow driver and have too many speeding tickets and get irritated when people hang out in the left lane while right hand traffic passes them but I do not grossly exceed the speed limit and ride peoples tails who are not going fast enough for me and I expect the same from other drivers. The bill being passed could be a good idea but I hope it does not make any more aggresive drivers feel they can grossly exceed the speed limit and ride peoples tails and treat the left lane like it is the Indy 500.
Old 06-01-05, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
It Generally speaking I travel about 5 -10 mph faster then the speed limit, ie with the flow of traffic, at this speed it is justified to pass those that travel at exactly the speed limit. And very very few officers would pull me over for this speed.
Correct. At 5-10 over the posted limit you are not what I would call a chronic speeder. I'm often in that range myself. With a 55 limit, many state troopers don't even start giving tickets until around 70 or so.