Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The MK IV Supra was THE TRUTH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 10:22 AM
LexFather

Default The MK IV Supra was THE TRUTH!!!

Amazing isn't it.....

Old 05-25-05, 10:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Damn right! You should post that "Best Bang For The Buck" Motor Trend article from 1993 where they put the MKIV Supra against the Corvette, BMW 850Ci, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Dodge Stealth, Mustang GT, Mazda RX7 R2 and etc. It even had a hologram on the front cover. I have to dig my issue out and scan it in including it's 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds.
Old 05-25-05, 10:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

lol, I was just reading that too on some other sites. Pretty nice comparo, but my goodness, I had no idea the Supra was so dman expensive. 50K!! WHOA!! But still a great car to buy none the less.
Old 05-25-05, 10:43 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
lol, I was just reading that too on some other sites. Pretty nice comparo, but my goodness, I had no idea the Supra was so dman expensive. 50K!! WHOA!! But still a great car to buy none the less.

toyota dropped the price about $10,000 halfway through its life cycle. ive never heard of anything like that before or since!
Old 05-25-05, 12:09 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I had no idea the Supra was so dman expensive. 50K!! WHOA!!
Believe it or not, slightly modded used ones from the MKIV generation are still getting $30s-$40s and some even $50s with 60K-100K+ miles on them.
Old 05-25-05, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well, for 50k you were getting a lot more car than some other manufacturers too

and yup, the supra is one car with very special hisotry. look at the market price on that car, it's just amazing
Old 05-25-05, 04:35 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JZA-80 POWAH!!!
Old 05-25-05, 05:15 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Damn right! You should post that "Best Bang For The Buck" Motor Trend article from 1993 where they put the MKIV Supra against the Corvette, BMW 850Ci, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Dodge Stealth, Mustang GT, Mazda RX7 R2 and etc. It even had a hologram on the front cover. I have to dig my issue out and scan it in including it's 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds.
I ORDER YOU: Find it and post it asap soldier!

Lol .. Seriously I would die to see that. Dig it up please!
Old 05-25-05, 07:42 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT STILL IS!!! . Sick I remember you posted an article that had the MKIV at 4.xx 0-60.

Any chance you still got it??
Old 05-25-05, 08:14 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Domestics liked to know if SupraTT is so good, why is it dead and C4 Vette sales have never been better. People say Supra was to expensive, yet many will spend upward of 30K for a used one with almost 100K on the clock.
Old 05-25-05, 08:15 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

i think the japanese brands did a good job in the 90's to bring out some sports cars that could take on German cars. i can't remember which issue i read of c/d or road and track, but the complaint the author made wasn't that these cars' figures looked great b/c they do from the stat sheet, but that somehow they didn't add up to a porsche or a whatever brand name sports car. i know ppl are going to say bang for the buck and so on. i really haven't drive that many cars, but i'd have to agree with his logic. i think the stat sheet only tells half the story.
i've never driven a porsche or ferrari before, but i believe the day i do and take that turn at 70 miles an hour i'll know the difference between thoese cars and a 300zx or supra (which had faster 0-60 times than the ferrari 355 i believe or the one before that). i think the author made a good point about those intangibles that u can't put on a stat sheet. but hey, i'm all for japanese sports cars. i love european sports cars but i wouldn't get one til i'm sure i have two other cars to rely on (japanese cars). toyota and honda better start making some sports cars again.
Old 05-25-05, 09:01 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
Domestics liked to know if SupraTT is so good, why is it dead and C4 Vette sales have never been better. People say Supra was to expensive, yet many will spend upward of 30K for a used one with almost 100K on the clock.
the supra was killed because of the high price, people were not just going to buy a toyota sports car at that price

the vette has a longer history and people bought it because of the name, like the porsche

the price of a supra before fatf, was like half the price it is now
Old 05-25-05, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Car and Driver in the March 1993 issue got 0-60 in 4.6 sec for the Supra Turbo. Toyota put that quote in one of their magazine ads. I wish I had that article and I might contact them for a backissue. I ordered 2 back issues of Sports Car International that featured articles on MKIV Supras. One article was an long term test in the mountains with an automatic that the author was so impressed with how well it handled the snow, fuel mileage,looks, and performace he named it car of the year and the other one was a in depth review of a red 6 speed. Unfortunately the car overheated after a few runs and the best they could do was 0-60 in 5.3 and quarter mile in 13.58 at 106.9mph.

I ordered a book on the Toyota Supra called "Toyota Supra Performance Portfolio 1982-1998" which is a book that has a bunch of articles from magazines and journals on certain cars. It had some interesting write ups I had never seem. Most of the articles from U.S. publications seemed to like or love the Supra. Most of the articles from European publications critisized the car for being too heavy, large spoiler, okay looks, okay interior, not enough driver feel, not being up to Porsche, Ferrari, or BMW driver involvement etc.

The Supra is my favorite Japanese sports car along with the NSX and it was on my possiblilty list before I saw the outrageous prices people want for them. I do not know if they actually get anywhere near what they are asking but I find it hard to believe someone would pay 30-60 grand for 8+ year old Toyotas. 98 GS400 can be had for 14-18 grand and they were priced pretty similiar to the Supra Turbos and are luxury vehicles from a luxury brand. I think the main reason Supra Turbos go for so high is the easy tuning potentail of the very strong overbuilt engine that is legendary with the performance crowd. The Supra Turbo is also known for being a very reliable well built high performance coupe. They are also pretty rare and highly desireable especially with younger people. I don't know how much a Supra being in the Fast and Furious affected its resale as I found the one they used pretty ugly especially that paint job but many people and magazines said it made the used prices jump a few grand. 300zxtt, RX-7, 3000GT, and SVX all have certain weakness or are not very reliable where the Supra seems to have all around the most going for it.

Unfortunately many people saw the Supra as a very expensive Toyota and not able to command high prices like European brands or the Corvette with its rich history in the U.S. Mark IV Supra Turbos will always be very highly regarded among enthusiasts and may be Toyotas most significant car even though they did not make any money on it. The NSX is the only other recent Japanese car to retain most of its value and be so desireable like the Supra turbo which is a very significant accomplishment for a car company
Old 05-26-05, 12:09 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

boooo

It's all about the Rotary Powah!
Old 05-26-05, 12:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Rotary is good stuff, but it's the worst motor as far as mileage/longevity/durability is concerned.

Quick Reply: The MK IV Supra was THE TRUTH!!!