Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Moves Up Camry Release, Plans Hybrid Model, Analysts Say

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 01:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 215 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by xravexboix
W/O speculation based on facts forums wouldn't be as fun! It's almost like those freaks that write those 'fan fictions' about whatever topic it's on...
as long as you don't take them too seriously.
but I do believe that Toyota does have people scouring the internet looking for opinions and then analyzing the data w/ relevant market data and see if it would work.
I hope they do. The internet may not be representative of the overall car market, but they need to listen to as much ideas & feedback as they can get.
Old 05-13-05, 02:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Reasonable yes, but there are people that would read what you posted as it were true facts. And unfortunately, there is an audience out there that believes in everything they are reading. Unless it's information furnished from the definitive source, it's all speculation.
The last time I checked this is still a Car Chat forum, not a corporate newsroom. People come here to chat and discuss about the past, the present and the future of cars. Speculations are simply a part of it. Please get over it.
Old 05-13-05, 02:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

The Camry hybrid...that would definitely help make Toyota's expansive offerings of HSD cars available. Especially with being the best selling car in America and the Hybrid popularity increasing...we can only wonder if this new hybrid offering will go on an economical sense or performance sense. It's evident the Hybrid offerings for Lexus are aimed at performance.

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
People come here to chat and discuss about the past, the present and the future of cars. Speculations are simply a part of it. Please get over it.
You are right, but you tend to project your ideas as if they were going ot happen. Please do keep in mind there are people from Lexus HQ that come here everyday. Speculation is always going to be a part of car discussions, but please don't make it sound like you really know what's fact or what's going to be...unless you are a TMS or Lexus employee. Afterall, this whole discussion is based of a 3rd party source that consulted w/industry "analysts".

Last edited by flipside909; 05-13-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 02:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Anew bodystyle already? Wow, the current one is still flying off dealer lots The Accord needs a re-do, if anyone.

Camry+hybrid= even more sales. The Accord Hybrid sells I think 2,500 to 3,000 a month.
Well it is going into it's 5th model year when the 2006's hit the lots. Toyota seems to want to be a step or two ahead of the rest.
Old 05-13-05, 03:23 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
You are right, but you tend to project your ideas as if they were going ot happen. Please do keep in mind there are people from Lexus HQ that come here everyday. Speculation is always going to be a part of car discussions, but please don't make it sound like you really know what's fact or what's going to be...unless you are a TMS or Lexus employee. Afterall, this whole discussion is based of a 3rd party source that consulted w/industry "analysts".
Notice how many if's and probably's and means' I've used in every sentence of my previous post. How anyone can mistake my post as anything more than my very own personal opinion is beyond me. If anything, I've always deliberately made my speculations sound like speculations in any of my speculating posts by first quoting my sources and then using speculative terms including, but not limited to, "if", "probably", "means", "should", "hence", "so", "I think", "I'd say", and so on, to logically deduce my conclusions.

This thread is a speculative thread from the very beginning and those who have responded are all speculating by using the same set of speculating terms. I don't think I was making my post sound any more official and definitive than any others.

Everybody is here just to discuss about what this report/analysis of a hybrid Camry implies, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 05-13-05, 05:55 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Anew bodystyle already? Wow, the current one is still flying off dealer lots The Accord needs a re-do, if anyone.

Camry+hybrid= even more sales. The Accord Hybrid sells I think 2,500 to 3,000 a month.
Mike - why do you say the Accord needs a re-do? IMO, it looks a lot newer than the Camry. What I would really like to know is how many Camry sales go to fleets. Something tells me the gap between Accord sales and Camry sales would be a lot less if you took this into account.
Old 05-13-05, 06:07 PM
xioix
Racer

Again, I don't see anything wrong with my speculations. At least they are reasonable and nothing out of line (i.e. based on the facts we already know), don't you think?
doubt the camry will have the 3.5 most likely the 3.0 for regular v6's and maybe the 3.5 for the se
Old 05-13-05, 09:42 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i like the current generation camry right now, i understand they have to refresh the platform with a new model but like with the GS front lighting, the next camry might same a similar headlight arrangement with it goin up into the hood. maybe toyota will follow in lexus headlight footsteps and offers all its models with projector headlamps (just noticed that, now, every Lexus model has projectors now, except the RX330 w/o HID setup)
Old 05-15-05, 12:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
doubt the camry will have the 3.5 most likely the 3.0 for regular v6's and maybe the 3.5 for the se
The reason I say the new Camry will also have a 3.5L is simply that, traditionally, the Camry has always been given exactly the same engine as the ES in every past redesign--no exception so far. We now all know that the next ES is getting the 3.5L so it's only natural that the next Camry gets it too, SE or not. The Camry SE had the same 3.0L until ES330 was introduced in '03, after all.

On the other hand, I actually hope you're right. It's about time that Toyota/Lexus finally further distinguishes the ES from the Camry by reserving the 3.5L for only the ES and giving the Camry a lower but adequate 245hp 3.0L. At least most people will stop b*tching about how ES is just a souped-up Camry anymore.
Old 05-15-05, 12:43 PM
xioix
Racer

The reason I say the new Camry will also have a 3.5L is simply that, traditionally, the Camry has always been given exactly the same engine as the ES in every past redesign--no exception so far. We now all know that the next ES is getting the 3.5L so it's only natural that the next Camry gets it too, SE or not. The Camry SE had the same 3.0L until ES330 was introduced in '03, after all.

On the other hand, I actually hope you're right. It's about time that Toyota/Lexus finally further distinguishes the ES from the Camry by reserving the 3.5L for only the ES and giving the Camry a lower but adequate 245hp 3.0L. At least most people will stop b*tching about how ES is just a souped-up Camry anymore.
the 245hp would put the camry right there with the accord, and with the SE having the 3.5 it would make it the sporty model with the big hp over all the competiton in its class

thats how i would see it
Old 05-15-05, 12:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 215 Likes on 143 Posts

Old 05-15-05, 01:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

F them all, those people who ***** are the same people driving BMW, MB, and everything else out their with the smallest available engine
Old 05-15-05, 04:17 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

see what i think they should do with the camry is increase the power for the four cylinder model from 160 to at lease 180-190hp and with the 3.0 V6 models if still offered make it at lease 245hp and leave the sport model, the SE for the 3.5 V6 280hp and just stiffen up the suspension a lil more, but as well make the car have the luxurious feel from the camry XLE and offer like sport seats with camry SE embrolled in the seats and offer aluninum and wood trim inside the SE and with the XLE, standard, and LE make it a plush ride like the avalon limited. and as for the hybrid camry, make it as fast as possible, haha offer the VDIM thats in the GS450h and put it in the camry hybrid, to make the car sporty which i think its lacking.
Old 05-15-05, 05:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike - why do you say the Accord needs a re-do? IMO, it looks a lot newer than the Camry. What I would really like to know is how many Camry sales go to fleets. Something tells me the gap between Accord sales and Camry sales would be a lot less if you took this into account.
The reason I say that is Accord sales are down and have not reached the older generation models sales figures. Funny b/c this new Accord is IMO superior in every aspect.

As for fleet sales, I don't care, these are pretty much fleet cars (as in popular, one size fits all, solid cars). Now seeing some luxury branded cars in rental lots (I won't name who to prevent fanboys from appearing to save the day) in fleet lots is an issue. Camry/Accord/Tauus/Altima etc in fleet, no issue

Old 05-15-05, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

It's easy to see why Accord sales are down.....styling. True, everybody's tastes differ, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise, but even having said that, it's hard IMO to justify the present-generation Accord's styling. Honda has gotten away from the handsome and smart-looking Accords of the early 1990's and gone to these ugly triangular sweep-back headlights, frumpy-looking rear decks, and tech-look interiors. Apparantly it has turned off others too...not just me.

The Camry has also adopted those ugly sweep-back headlights but they are not as outlandish as the ES330's, and the Camry has managed to hold on to its customer base in spite of them.
The Camry's rear end is not as frumpy-looking as the Accord's either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-05 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Moves Up Camry Release, Plans Hybrid Model, Analysts Say